Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TAILING STEELHEAD WITH A GLOVE...RIGHT OR WRONG ?  (Read 46924 times)

bluenoser

Re: TAILING STEELHEAD WITH A GLOVE...RIGHT OR WRONG ?
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2009, 12:52:58 PM »

Until reading this thread I never would have known that using a glove could cause so much damage to a fish...pictures from Everyday say a 1000 words.

Today on Sportfishing on the Fly they were catching Steelhead, Coho and Sockeye on the Skeena landing and releasing them using a tailing glove...they made comments about how good they are.

Question to Dion and others who have or do work in Tackle shops...are there gloves which are constructed to tail a fish without causing harm? If so I'm guessing these have nothing to do with keeping your hands warm but are used only for tailing.

Also if you pick up the latest copy of Salmon, Steelhead and Trout you can see pictures of Steelhead being tailed with what looks like wool gloves. It's easy to see how there could be confusion on this subject if your only source of information is TV and Magazines.

BTW...if there is no such thing as a tailing glove which does not hurt the fish why do the tackle shops sell them?

Bluenoser
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 12:55:39 PM by bluenoser »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2009, 01:16:17 PM »

BTW...if there is no such thing as a tailing glove which does not hurt the fish why do the tackle shops sell them?

Because people buy them.
It's the same reason why tackle shops sell 10 foot leaders on boards and bouncing betties. Not ethical (they know that) but what the hell it makes money.
I'll admit, I have used gloves before in my 1st/2nd year. It was alot easier to hang onto a fish that way.

On a side note, the Rapala filleting glove (sold in WalMart, etc) claims to be safe for tailing fish.
So far it is the only glove I have ever seen that has "fish safe" written on the package.
I used it once a few years back and no slime came off the fish onto the glove, so it could possibly be safe, but I would still prefer to use bare hands.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2009, 09:55:38 PM »

I used it once a few years back and no slime came off the fish onto the glove, so it could possibly be safe, but I would still prefer to use bare hands.
Yes, go bare at all times. ;D

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »

On a side note, the Rapala filleting glove (sold in WalMart, etc) claims to be safe for tailing fish.
So far it is the only glove I have ever seen that has "fish safe" written on the package.

It's sold other places too. And that was the glove I mentioned earlier in the thread. So that should kind of answer your question Bluenoser. Nothing else I know of is advertised as "fish tailing safe."

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2009, 10:14:11 AM »

I would think that neo gloves would be ok.

Their texture is much like your skin and they are not porous like knit gloves.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2009, 02:21:31 PM »

Maybe some neoprene gloves (if they were void of gripping nubs) would not cause any (or at least minimal) damage to the fish.
However, unless you're landing and releasing a fish every few minutes what's the problem with going barehanded when releasing one?
Neoprene gloves are thick enough that you wouldn't actually know the strength of your grip and thereby not know if you're removing the PROTECTIVE slime.
(walk on fresh crushed gravel in your shoes then do it bare footed you'll feel the difference in pressure.)
Even a small line of slime removed by a fingernail opens the fish up to infection.
(just go ask someone who keeps aquarium fish,  There's got to be someone on here that does)
Plus you get to hug yourself (hands in armpits) for a JOB WELL DONE.

bluenoser

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2009, 06:23:31 PM »

Thanks for info Everyday and Dion

I've never used a tailing glove and guess I never will now. Those damn salmon and steelhead seem almost invincible at times when you see what they endure including gaping wounds from seals.....then to find that tailing them with a glove can kill them.

Too bad the magazines and TV shows didn't mention this.

Think I'll write into Salmon, Trout and Steehead.

gordc

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2009, 10:09:51 AM »

Anybody watch the program called "Monster fish"?  One episode they were fishing for huge trout in Mongolia and collecting scientific data.  They used gloves even though the premise of the program is that of protectection for the species.

purple monster

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2009, 04:25:05 PM »

While looking at the Suskeena lodge video, I noticed that the fisherman's are using a netting type of glove to handle the fish.  Any comments on this type of product???    I have a rough time holding the fish, can these type of net glove?? be used??

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2009, 12:11:13 PM »

Just watching Sport Fishing On The Fly on TV and they were using a glove on a steelhead. ::)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2009, 12:14:29 PM »

Next fish, sockeye, most likely flossed and "glove" on again. :o ??? Changing channels.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2009, 01:39:39 PM »

Next fish, sockeye, most likely flossed and "glove" on again. :o ??? Changing channels.

They definitely like to use the glove on their show, not just on the river but also on the lakes with larger fish.  Many of those times when Don is fishing he is with Brian Chan.  Brian doesn't seem to think there's a problem with it.  You'd think he'd be in the know??

On another note....the last couple of weeks SPOTF has been showing all the Skeena shows and I know that I've definitely seen at least one of the released fish with a hook not in the mouth but it was tough to tell on the others...they remove the hook so fast.  You'd have to think all the sockeye were flossed. especially since the water visibility was so poor and how shallow they were fishing.....yet, all the fish that were caught today except one pink that Don caught were hooked by Dale on the same pattern which was the only one they had! 

Soooo.....do you think most of these hooked fish (coho. pinks, steelhead, chum) that they hooked are flossed using the method of using the 3-4 splitshots 5 feet up the leader?  I'd sure like to think that they're actually biting.

bluesteele

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2009, 02:05:15 PM »

For those that have mentioned seeing a net like glove most likely the Michigan Mitt see it here
http://www.miriverworks.com/mit.htm

Still dont agree with it. Bare for me  ;D

Bluesteele

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2009, 03:51:52 PM »

On another note....the last couple of weeks SPOTF has been showing all the Skeena shows and I know that I've definitely seen at least one of the released fish with a hook not in the mouth but it was tough to tell on the others...they remove the hook so fast.  
Thats why they try to get the hook out so fast and most likely why they use the glove as it helps accomplish that. :o

I look at it as I never have to land a fish that badly that I have to use a glove. If a fish gets off it is no big deal.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 03:55:04 PM by chris gadsden »

Kristopher

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2009, 03:45:04 AM »

(just go ask someone who keeps aquarium fish,  There's got to be someone on here that does)
I used to keep aquarium fish and was always told that even if the fish does not get an infection, removal of the protective slimecoat results in undue stress to the fish.