Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TAILING STEELHEAD WITH A GLOVE...RIGHT OR WRONG ?  (Read 46304 times)

bluesteele

TAILING STEELHEAD WITH A GLOVE...RIGHT OR WRONG ?
« on: December 01, 2009, 07:18:54 PM »

This is something that has been on my mind lately and bothers me. First of all I don't believe a glove is necessary at all
in landing a steelhead. A properly played fished does not require a big wool mitt pulling off it's protective slime. Everytime I see
a picture of that it makes me shake my head.

Please be aware that by tailing a fish with a glove you are removing slime from it resulting in possible infection of the fish. I witnessed
this on the T this past week felt like hurtling rocks at the moron. NO GLOVES...people they are not necessary. As far as I am concerned
they should banned. As for those saying they dont want to drop the fish on the rocks. PUT WADERS ON and get into some knee deep water.
Before you fish a hole or run be aware of the shoreline and where the best spot is to land a fish if you catch one. A LITTLE FORWARD THINKING
goes a long ways folks.

The weather is getting colder and if you wear gloves and are tailing a fish shove your gloves into your waders or toss em on shore. Respect
the steelhead and give it its best chance for survival and that means NO GLOVES. otherwise look out for rocks flying your way. >:(

Bluesteele

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Re: TAILING STEELHEAD WITH A GLOVE...RIGHT OR WRONG ?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 07:46:50 PM »

Couldn't agree more.

Trouble is there is a lot of misinformation out there re gloves.

They are actually recommended by the fisheries managers in some places such as Alberta and Ontario. It also doesn't help when you see idiots on TV like Italo Labrigan wearing them. Next thing we know we're going to have someone show up on the Thompson with a boga grip  :-X
Actions speak louder than words.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 07:54:29 PM »

It also doesn't help when you see idiots on TV like Italo Labrigan wearing them.

Bang on !

labmik

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 08:20:43 PM »

Care of a fish is all a matter of degree.  Barbed or barbless hooks.  Rubber nets or knotted nylon nets.  Single or treble hooks.  Gloves or no gloves.  Heavy or light line and tackle.

I use single barbless hooks, a rubber landing net, heavy line and tackle so I won't over tire the fish, and a single glove.  Although it does remove some slime, it allows me to not grip the caudal peduncle as tightly, thus lessening the "hurt" applied. 

fish007

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 09:52:45 PM »

On one side the game of catch &release has a lot fun on the other side steelhead suffers ...
would someone invent something that can balance this conflict? ::)
Such as edible lure, hookless bait, painfulless  hook...which make both fisherman and fishes feel better ;)

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 10:05:22 PM »

Although it does remove some slime, it allows me to not grip the caudal peduncle as tightly, thus lessening the "hurt" applied. 

How so?
First of all fish do not feel pain. They do not have the part of the brain required for pain.
By damaging the outer covering of slime you are exposing scales, etc to fungus and other diseases.
Steelhead don't always die either, they remain in freshwater longer than salmon and need to make it out to the ocean, so they need as much help as they can get!

IMO I would say the scales and protective slime of the fish is the highest priority besides them breathing.
Everything you listed will do less damage to a fish than removing the very thing that is keeping it healthy and alive.

How hard is it to remove your glove?
Really, I wish people would give their heads a shake and think logically for once.....

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 12:51:25 AM »

just give steelhead the respect they deserve and get your damn hands wet  :P :P I have been known to grab some fish from time to time while wearing my wool finger tip less gloves however they were totally wet (soaked) before i ever touched the fish (which i imagine helps slightly)

I dont think i have grabbed any fish in many years with gloves on now, even if im going to kill it anyway  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

labmik

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 08:56:27 AM »

How so?
First of all fish do not feel pain. They do not have the part of the brain required for pain.

It has nothing to do with pain.  The "hurt" I was refering to is the tissue/muscle damaged caused by gripping the caudal peduncle too hard.  I use one wet glove with little rubber nubbies.  I get a good grip on the fish and can handle it safely.  Yes, the fish loses some slime at the base of its tail and is further exposed to disease and fungus, but I do my best not to any tissue damage.  During spawning, tissue does not heal as all of the fish's energy is going into reproduction.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 12:41:27 PM »

Has anyone seen the Rapala Filet Glove. Its a synthetic material woven in a similar manner to chain-mail. It says on its packaging that it is designed to be used as a tailing glove. I have used it the odd time on chum, and hatchery (bonked) coho. Once wet it removes little to no slime from the fish, but still ensures a locked in grip on the fish. I've never needed a second tailing attempt with the glove on. However I would never risk it's use on a fish I didn't plan on bonking.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 02:58:40 PM »

Has anyone seen the Rapala Filet Glove. Its a synthetic material woven in a similar manner to chain-mail. It says on its packaging that it is designed to be used as a tailing glove. I have used it the odd time on chum, and hatchery (bonked) coho. Once wet it removes little to no slime from the fish, but still ensures a locked in grip on the fish. I've never needed a second tailing attempt with the glove on. However I would never risk it's use on a fish I didn't plan on bonking.
These are WICKED gloves for sure... never tried using them for tailing fish though.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 10:29:01 PM »

I'll let you guys decide whether gloves actually harm fish or not  ::)
Friend does broodstocking, here is a fish that had a tailing glove used on it about 10 days earlier :

Let me remind you, this is in a controlled environment with antiobiotics.
I dunno but I would say that this causes WAY MORE harm that it does good.
I don't care how carefully you handle the fish before, the glove the glove will kill it!
Any argument you can make can't go against this, I would rather have tissue and muscle damage instead of having my skin peel off and rot.

PS Friend DOES NOT ever under any circumstances use a tailing glove. This was done by someone else.....  :'(
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 10:32:36 PM by Every Day »

doja

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 11:38:06 PM »

What kind of glove was used ??? Material wise.

labmik

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 09:33:38 AM »

Yes, slime removal is bad.  Squeezing fish too hard is bad.

If that fish in the photo has spent its entire life in a hatchery, then comparing it to river caught fish is an invalid argument. 

Research has shown that "physical forms of stress, such as handling, have been shown to INCREASE epidermal mucificaion in salmonid fish."  The continuous secretion of mucus not only acts as a physical barrier to prevent colonization of fungus, but it acts as a hydraulic boundary layer helping the fish to swim faster.  As male salmonids become sexually mature, there is a decrease in epidermal mucification.  The decreased mucification increases susceptibility to fungal infection, hence the reason you see "mold" on spawned out fish.  Interestingly enough, this demucification does not occur with female fish.

Research has also shown that spawning salmon and steelhead do heal as they ascend into the rivers to spawn due to increased levels of plasma cortisol.

Source:  http://pisces.bpa.gov/release/documents/documentviewer.aspx?pub=A02836-1.pdf

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 10:57:36 AM »

The fish in that photo was a wild doe that was captured from a river. The fungus seen in the picture had formed within 10 days of capture.
Actions speak louder than words.

labmik

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 11:49:28 AM »

"The caudal and anal fins of sexually mature female fish
are more frequently infected than the male fish (Richards and Pickering, 1978) and it is
precisely these areas that are used for redd-digging in the gravels of spawning streams.
Abrasion to this area of the body is unavoidable. Hatai and Hoshai (Chap. 4, this volume)
show that destruction of the epidermis overlying the adipose fin is an important
predisposing factor for saprolegniasis."

I wonder how much, if any, redd-digging she had done.