Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coming to B.C. too fish the Vedder  (Read 7219 times)

fish fishburn

Coming to B.C. too fish the Vedder
« on: November 05, 2009, 05:43:25 AM »

Hi everyone just want too say that this is an awesome site and I really enjoy all the articles that I have read so far. I will be coming to Chilliwack in 2010 to visit my good buddy who just moved there.  My problem is I am not sure what fishing related equipment too bring with me to do some salmon fishing.  I have never fished salmon before and my buddy can't help me because he isn't much of a fisherman (worm dunker). I  fish mostly bass and want too bring some of my rods and reels with me but not sure what too bring. I will be flying so luggage is always an issue.  I won't list what rods and reels I have because that would take too long since I have a few dozen. What terminal tackle do I need too bring. I am sure I will have too purchase a few thing from the local fishing stores but thats fine. I am more into tageting big fish rather then numbers so when is the best time to visit. From what I have read here those Steelhead seem to really intrigue me. Any help would be much appreciated.
                                                                                                                                   Thanks
                                                                                                                                Fish Fishburn

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Coming to B.C. too fish the Vedder
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 08:35:39 AM »

Timing is important as certain fish are in the river at certain times of the year. When are you going to be in BC?
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 09:12:09 AM »

The longer the rods the easier it will be for you to fish.

Throwing Spinners/Spoons works well in faster water so bring some of both be sure to crimp all barbs it's single barbless only.

You might be able to float fish if you have a casting setup over 6' long but it won't be as easy.

fish fishburn

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 05:38:37 AM »

The longer the rods the easier it will be for you to fish.

Throwing Spinners/Spoons works well in faster water so bring some of both be sure to crimp all barbs it's single barbless only.

You might be able to float fish if you have a casting setup over 6' long but it won't be as easy.
  I guess I will buy a longer rod since none of mine are longer than 7 ft.  Does any of the local shops sell St.Croix rods since they are my prefered brand?

fish fishburn

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 05:55:28 AM »

Timing is important as certain fish are in the river at certain times of the year. When are you going to be in BC?
  I havent set a date yet.  When is the best time for Steelhead and anything else that is big?  What about plastic baits does anyone use them for salmon and if they do what colours work the best?  I want to try all the traditional methods but also experiment with the not so traditional.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 07:35:35 AM »

7 ft is fine for casting why spend a bunch of dough and learn a whole new technique (float fishing) when what you already know will work.

Cast a spoon downstream at a 45 degree angle and let it swing across the river before retrieving it is the best way to work a spoon cast and retrieve not so much.

Some wiggly plastic baits work, long and thin like hot pink plastic worms best of all but green and black also work at times.

St Croix is a common brand here Yes.

Steelhead mean winter fishing and the numbers of fish are way down probably mid to late October is best that way you can pound some Chums.

Jona

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 07:53:53 AM »

I would recommend coming down in Late Sept or October.

Nitroholic

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 10:13:42 AM »

I would recommend coming down in Late Sept or October.

not for steelhead