Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Sizeable Donation Made  (Read 5399 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
A Sizeable Donation Made
« on: October 09, 2009, 05:13:15 AM »

The Fraser Valley Salmon Society at their first Fall directors meeting voted to contribute $1.000 to Alexandra Morton's adopt - a - fry campaign to aid in the excellent work she and others are doing to stop this attack on our wild salmon by fish farms.

The directors also challenged other fishing clubs , organizations and other businesses to match or better this donation. As well other individual's may wish to donate a few dollars as well at this time as when I attended the wild salmon circle rally in Vancouver last Saturday I think the opposition is growing. The more funds that can be raised the better chance it is to stop this madness that has and is causing salmon and trout to suffer so badly in any other countries throughout the world where they are located. And now we in British Columbia are also now faced with this problem of sea lice and chemicals that are entering our ocean not to mention what effects eating farmed raised salmon may have on people eating them after a few years.

Thanks for your consideration in helping this very important initiative as the FVSS has.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 05:19:24 AM by chris gadsden »

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: A Sizeable Donation Made
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 10:25:17 AM »

One dollar or one thousand dollars?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 09:25:05 PM »

One dollar or one thousand dollars?
Forgot the comma. ::)

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 04:29:18 PM »

I figured  ;D Sounds more impressive with the comma.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 04:43:01 PM »

I figured  ;D Sounds more impressive with the comma.
I would have been in trouble with the other FVSS directors if I added some extra 0's too. ;D ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 12:49:47 PM »

Hi Chris, thanks for this post. 
I am sure the Directors of The Fraser Valley Salmon Society (FVSS) had the best intentions when they decided to donate $1000 to Alexandra Morton’s  Adopt –a-Fry program.  I believe however that money could have been spent more effectively. 
The FVSS is based out of Chilliwack, home of the Vedder-Chilliwack River.  Anyone who has been reading FWR or fishing/walking the river,  knows it is under tremendous angler pressure.  Many of these anglers are new to the sport and often use and employ methods that are unethical, unlawful, and totally disrespectful to the fish – mainly because they don’t know better. 
Education (river signage, newspapers, local television, sporting goods stores, etc) of these new anglers to proper angling techniques/fish identification, along with adequate enforcement is, in my opinion, the only way to combat this eyesore to the angling community.  The FVSS had an opportunity to take a proactive leadership role in this education campaign; the $1000, with a bit of lobbying/challenges to other so called fish friendly organizations to match , could have increased this amount.  Such a move might have even put some heat to DFO’s seemingly ineffective and apathetic Recreational Fisheries division.

I saw another example of the need for education this morning while observing the daily  snag fest at the Vedder bridge.  I noticed a fellow cleaning a good sized bright fish, a female as he kept the roe.  He packed up and walked by me where I saw he had killed a wild coho.  I asked him if he knew what he had killed – he said jack spring.  Despite my efforts to explain the difference, he would not listen and told me to FO.  The sad thing was there about 40 other anglers there and I’m not sure if any of them knew it was coho, let alone a wild coho.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 01:20:33 PM »

I am sure the Directors of The Fraser Valley Salmon Society (FVSS) had the best intentions when they decided to donate $1000 to Alexandra Morton’s  Adopt –a-Fry program.  I believe however that money could have been spent more effectively. 
The FVSS is based out of Chilliwack, home of the Vedder-Chilliwack River.  Anyone who has been reading FWR or fishing/walking the river,  knows it is under tremendous angler pressure.  Many of these anglers are new to the sport and often use and employ methods that are unethical, unlawful, and totally disrespectful to the fish – mainly because they don’t know better. 
Education (river signage, newspapers, local television, sporting goods stores, etc) of these new anglers to proper angling techniques/fish identification, along with adequate enforcement is, in my opinion, the only way to combat this eyesore to the angling community.  The FVSS had an opportunity to take a proactive leadership role in this education campaign; the $1000, with a bit of lobbying/challenges to other so called fish friendly organizations to match , could have increased this amount.  Such a move might have even put some heat to DFO’s seemingly ineffective and apathetic Recreational Fisheries division.

I saw another example of the need for education this morning while observing the daily  snag fest at the Vedder bridge.  I noticed a fellow cleaning a good sized bright fish, a female as he kept the roe.  He packed up and walked by me where I saw he had killed a wild coho.  I asked him if he knew what he had killed – he said jack spring.  Despite my efforts to explain the difference, he would not listen and told me to FO.  The sad thing was there about 40 other anglers there and I’m not sure if any of them knew it was coho, let alone a wild coho.

We still have funds Dave to do what you suggest. If you can please put a proposal to gether that I can present to the FVSS executive, better still if you can attend a meeting and tell the directors what you have in mind and the funding required.

This in part what happen with the donation to Alexanra. A member wrote a letter suggesting making a donation to what most directors felt was very worth while use of funds. Let me know if you wish to do this and I will put you on the agenda for a upcoming meeting.

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 09:23:40 PM »

I think it was money well spent

Gaffer

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 05:13:02 PM »

All good points Dave but if we don't save our fish from LICE Farms the Vedder will be just another pretty , Fishless , barren River-- Tight Lines

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 06:50:21 PM »

Hi Gaffer.  I am not aware of any salmonid stocks in the Chilliwack-Vedder system that have been or are being impacted by sea lice.    Do you?
Cultus and Chilliwack sockeye are returning in better than normal numbers, lots of chinook (jacks at least), snaggers are getting lots of coho, and too early to tell about chum and steelhead.
Oh, forgot the pinks.

mykisscrazy

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 11:55:27 PM »

There are Pinks in the Chilliwack/Vedder?
Can you imagine how many there would have been if we didn't have Sea Lice to keep  thier numbers under control! ;)

Good thing we have Open Pen Fish Farms ;D