Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Letter from Bill Otway to Paul Ryall  (Read 13177 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Letter from Bill Otway to Paul Ryall
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 04:16:22 PM »

There - fixed that for ya.

It would be silly to think that poaching is "race based"  I'm sure every ethnic group has a sub group of efficient poachers. :(

Thanks for fixing that!  :)

I keep forgetting it's only o.k. to point fingers at the sports fishermen regardless of their race.....   ::)
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 04:29:26 PM »

We need a more complete study that tracks C&R fish to their spawning grounds to reliably measure our impact.

Here's a more complete study for you......

Sports fishermen catch and release. FN poachers catch, kill and sell their catch.

Scientifically speaking.... at least the sports fishermen give the sockeye a chance to reach the spawning grounds..  :D

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 04:44:50 PM »

Thanks for fixing that!  :)

I keep forgetting it's only o.k. to point fingers at the sports fishermen regardless of their race.....   ::)

You must have misread.  I'm pointing fingers at poachers. PERIOD.  regardless of race.

We sportsfishers for the most part aren't good enough at catching fish to be any SORT of threat to these populations (IMO), despite what's currently convenient for other fish resource using groups.

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 05:17:21 PM »

A great letter Bill.

Only clout at the highest levels will impart the 'facts' that recreational fishing has a negligible effect on the fishery resource.

What really does have an effect is illegal netting and this is where more enforcement is required. I really don't have a problem with legal netting.

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2009, 08:38:34 PM »

Nuggy you're getting into the ethics part of angling ( I've tried to get this same point across for a few years now ) and its just falling on deaf ears.
d

That is for sure. 

Right now DFO has three divisions to watch over: commercial, native and recreation fishers.  Maybe there need to be four: commercial, native, meat harvesters who use a rod and reel but are allowed to floss, and sport fisherman who fish the way that Nuggy describes.  If there were separate licenses for each some closures could apply to the meat harvesters while the river stayed open to the sport fishermen.

robj

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2009, 09:58:01 PM »

Great letter Bill.

I personally do not do catch and release, if I can't put one in my cooler, I don't fish.  Rather just leave them alone to spawn, that has the lowest mortality rate.   But that is just me. 

It is wrong to point fingers at FN.  I have seen many sportfishers use questionable techniques.  And you are right poachers exist from all backgrounds.  All you need to do is go to the meat hole on the Vedder.  But that is now closed, probably due to the meat fisherman.

Have a great day

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2009, 01:06:44 AM »

Great letter and my salute to Bill. What people are missing is the big picture. Sporties are not a factor by any means. Keeping on jumping on others by your narrow definition of ethics about fishing is not about stock conservation, but it only serves to split up the sport fishermen unity fighting the forces who will shut us down collectively.

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2009, 06:38:43 AM »

Great letter and my salute to Bill. What people are missing is the big picture. Sporties are not a factor by any means. Keeping on jumping on others by your narrow definition of ethics about fishing is not about stock conservation, but it only serves to split up the sport fishermen unity fighting the forces who will shut us down collectively.

Now that right there is a intelligent comment. You hit the nail on the head. It is very unfortunate that anglers, and hunters too, spend so much time and energy pointing fingers at each other when that same time and energy could be much better used to fight our common nemesis.

Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2009, 03:41:52 PM »

The point here is that sport fishermen are split up based on their ethical position on this issue!  Look at how many threads there have been on this forum about bottom bouncing.  There is no point in faking that we all share the point of view.  A lack of honesty and transparency on this issue is what of the main things that has caused so much bitterness and resentment.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2009, 07:01:15 PM »

The point here is that sport fishermen are split up based on their ethical position on this issue!  Look at how many threads there have been on this forum about bottom bouncing.  There is no point in faking that we all share the point of view.  A lack of honesty and transparency on this issue is what of the main things that has caused so much bitterness and resentment.

Your opinions would likely get more respect if you expressed them in a thread whose topic had something to do with your opinion.

What you are doing here is hijacking a discussion about...... (read subject heading)  ::)