Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Halt sport fishery to save sockeye: Crey  (Read 34017 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Halt sport fishery to save sockeye: Crey
« on: August 04, 2009, 01:21:51 PM »

Halt sport fishery to save sockeye: Crey

Sports fishing on the Fraser River.
Tyrone McNeil

Buy Surrey Leader Photos Online
By Jeff Nagel - BC Local News

Published: July 31, 2009 4:17 PM
Updated: August 04, 2009 10:42 AM

Sport angling on the Fraser River should be shut down quickly to prevent a catastrophe for returning sockeye salmon, says Sto:lo fisheries advisor Ernie Crey.

Anglers on the river aren't currently allowed to target sockeye, but some catch them either accidentally or deliberately by snagging them while officially fishing for other species, like sturgeon or chinook salmon.

Crey says the species can't afford to take any more hits this season in light of what's already shaping up to be a low return, coupled with dangerously high river temperatures that may kill many of the sockeye that do arrive before they can spawn.

"DFO should, with some reasonable notice, tell anglers to get off the water until we get a better understanding of the sockeye numbers overall," Crey said.

Biologists had forecast a healthy run of 10.6 million sockeye this summer, but so far the Pacific Salmon Commission says the runs are all coming in much lower than expected.

The commission warned the hot dry weather and low stream flows in the Interior may prove deadly to returning sockeye.

The river reached a temperature of 20.7 degrees on July 30 – 3.4 degrees higher than normal and above the 20-degree threshold that triggers high death rates in salmon.

And it's projected the water temperature may climb further to 21.4 degrees by Aug. 8 – a record for that date.

The last time the water got this hot, Crey says he witnessed disoriented sockeye swimming around in circles that could easily be picked up by hand.

"They made no effort to swim away," he said. "Their instinct for survival was completely sapped by the warm river water."

Commercial fishing has so far been blocked and aboriginal food fisheries remain closed after a very brief opening earlier in July.

Crey said he doesn't believe there can reasonably be new openings for any sector unless counts of returning sockeye improve dramatically.

Wayne Goeson, an area director with the B.C. Federation of Drift Fishers,

agreed the sockeye plight this year is a huge concern.

"Rule number one is get the fish on the spawning beds," he said.

But Goeson said he doesn't believe a general angling closure on the lower Fraser is necessary to protect sockeye.

"As long as people aren't targeting sockeye, it shouldn't be a problem," he said.

Find this article at:
http://www.bclocalnews.com/surrey_area/surreyleader/news/52221957.html 
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Halt sport fishery to save sockeye: Crey
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 01:34:19 PM »

I had posted it a while ago under sockeye study. Of course this is another reason why the study should be cancelled!!!

I am going to a BBQ with Stephen Harper this afternoon in Surrey, maybe I should discuss it with him. ;D ;D ;D

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 02:17:06 PM »

My 3 bits worth would be to shut down the river to all (including First Nations and Commercial) for a period of time - not just the sport fisher-people...  :'(

But of course - one can only dream of a future with abundant Salmon in the rivers with our current set of Politicians.

Btw Chris - what are they serving at the BBQ - Sockeye ??

Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 02:25:22 PM »

Crey says this everytime sportfishing is allowed and they can't net fish for sale. Except this time he threw in the part about flossing Sturgeon which basically shows he's a hole with water in it turned sideways to make a tunnel.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 02:27:12 PM »

Wait till friends and neighbours say they can't buy sockeyes from the natives in the back lane before I believe anything Crey says.  ;)

They are the one who create this problem in the sockeye run, and now they want the sporties to bear the blame for their sins.  ???

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 02:41:49 PM »

Crey is a hypocrit. He and his people should set a shining example first. :-X

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 02:50:32 PM »

Self serving scumbag!
always a student

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 02:51:27 PM »

Yup, close the river to the group that has the least impact on the sockeye so that another group can keep fishing for them 24/7 unchecked. Beauty! ::)

Maybe we should just dam the Fraser and sell electricity. Think of the advantages.
We have wiped out many other species throughout history - what's another few in the grand scheme of things? >:(

Besides, those fish farms can sure produce enough fish to feed everyone.

mattyo

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 05:58:15 PM »

I wonder how many sockeye he's got in the smoker? Sporties have none. Something tells me the government and fisheries will fall for this hook line and sinker!!!! I'm expecting an upper river closure soon unless huge numbers pile in and this cooler weather trend keeps up!!!

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 08:21:03 PM »

Is too bad we dont get the medias ear like Ernie does.
When Ernie farts the media are there with there nostrils wide open and taking it all in.

Mike D.

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 08:48:25 PM »

when was the last time you caught a sockeye while sturgeon fishing? lol

Morty

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 08:50:16 PM »

Is too bad we dont get the medias ear like Ernie does.

Have ya tried?
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 09:58:08 PM »

If this gains any steam we have too!
always a student

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 05:32:55 AM »

I had posted it a while ago under sockeye study. Of course this is another reason why the study should be cancelled!!!

I am going to a BBQ with Stephen Harper this afternoon in Surrey, maybe I should discuss it with him. ;D ;D ;D
I did get to welcome Stephen Harper to British Columbia and shake his hand. As you can see in the video I filmed at  www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mfD0O8RoRE I had no opportunity to speak to him. ;D ;D Of course he is surrounded by security people, maybe it was my Leaf Hat that had then eying me up most of the time. ;D ;D02

However I had a good talk with MP John Cummins discussing the gravel issue on the Fraser and other fishing related topics.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 07:28:24 AM »

Scary video Chris  :) Looked like a lynching til Harper showed up then the crowd seemed to lighten up a little. Could have sweared I heard you say "welcome to BC Steven" instead of "you fish killing swine dog". ;D