Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

I'm voting for...

Liberal
NDP
Others

Author Topic: BC Election - Who ya gonna vote for?  (Read 65831 times)

Eagleye

• Old Timer
Re: BC Election - Who ya gonna vote for?
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2009, 08:28:12 AM »

I don't believe that the NDP will be any better at managing the current economic situation than the Liberals, but I don't trust the Liberals with our province. I'll be voting for the Green Party. Three strong parties in the province would be a good thing, and every vote the Green Party gets puts them that much closer.

Good point but I think if Campbell gets in for another term he will permanately scar this province and there will be no going back.  I will definately vote yes to the STV vote in hopes that it passes so next time I can vote green and actually have some representation. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 08:33:42 AM by Eagleye »

yamadirt 426

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2009, 08:42:32 AM »

I don't care about the economy.  It goes up and down like clock work every 25-35 yrs. Its not anyones fault. Each party will work on infastructer . Each party has had serious screw ups. But as far as i'm concerned the selling off our railroads illegally and right after they promised they wouldn't. Privatizing of our rivers/backroads.  BAD management of our fishing and hunting for residents. (fish farms !!!!)
That is the only issue for me !!!  I'd rather start with a NEW NDP than SELL OUT my province voting libs. All you older people get over the OLD NDP issues and wake up. Libs should die !!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 11:16:53 AM by yamadirt 426 »

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2009, 09:07:34 AM »

have to agree with bryan on this one... i despise the NDP and especially carole james...i dont really care for liberals but the conservatives arent strong here so the only vote i can make will be to the liberals... NDP are bad for small businesses like the one my family runs, you can  bet if they get into power they will spend spend spend and sink us deeper. If your only looking at one issue in this election i.e. the management of fishing, then your not seeing the whole picture. i dont believe the NDP will do any better, they have never been friendly to hunters yamadirt... it was they who banned hunting bears was it not?

Kp...voting liberal, the best of the worst.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2009, 10:38:41 AM »

Contracts for recent projects were not just awarded to Kiewit. Most large engineering and construction company's in BC have a share in these large scale projects. In addition Kiewit employs thousands of people in BC.

You beat me too it. I love how these NDP supporters avoid all previous terms of the NDP and what they DIDNT bring us. They DIDNT bring us a good economy ( The Liberals got us out of the mess they got themselves into ) all other things such as the fast ferries fiasco as mentioned earlier. Also why anyone cant see how Carole James has no credentials is beyond me. You really want someone with no university background running our province? What experience does she have? Have any of you heard her speak? She is SCARY!!!!

If the NDP comes in you can bet they will spend, spend, and spend some more. Than to try and get out of it they will raise taxes as they will have no choice. The Liberals have been reducing taxes and trying to help us during these economic times. If anyone thinks its the Liberals fault for this recession, are you serious?!?!?! The recession is world wide!! Give me a break.............Commodities are all below market value WAY BELOW!!! Its not the Liberals fault for this.....

My wife is having to work far away from us because of the economy. Do you think that resources are my number one concern when I am here running a small business, raising my 3 kids alone and my wife working far away??? Give me a break. I am going to vote for the person thats going to help my family first.....

I'm not talking about commodities...I'm talking about commodification of our province.  If you don't understand what that means look it up.
I run a small business too, I have kids, and my industry is hurting right now.... I'm in the same boat you are...but my pocketbook in the short term is less important to me than the future that my kids will have.  How about you give me a break.  I've worked the past 3 weeks for 15 hours a day...and the next month will be like that ,solid, all to help pay for some idiots mistake they left our family last year...and it still won't be enough to get us out of the hole.  I'm going to STILL vote for the party that will help our province first...not just my family.  If I wanted to do that I'd be voting conservative for lower taxes....and I'd sooner eat a bullet than sell out my values for money.

And ANOTHER thing.....my wife's parents raised a family of five and made sacrifices to bring their kids up not knowing what "poor" or "hungry" meant.  They made very very little money compared to the norm and did just fine.  The kids were all happy and healthy....so don't be so presumptuous as to assume that everyone raising a family of 3 kids is going to spend as much money as you do, or need to.  There are millions of people in canada living with more kids and less than you have, don't act like you have it hard, you even being able to post on here indicates you have enough money for an internet connection and the spare time to post....so you do not.  I suppose it is relative to what you are accustomed to and I'm not calling you a complainer but we can all use a little perspective.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 11:26:44 AM by marmot »

yamadirt 426

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2009, 11:31:54 AM »

have to agree with bryan on this one... i despise the NDP and especially carole james...i dont really care for liberals but the conservatives arent strong here so the only vote i can make will be to the liberals... NDP are bad for small businesses like the one my family runs, you can  bet if they get into power they will spend spend spend and sink us deeper. If your only looking at one issue in this election i.e. the management of fishing, then your not seeing the whole picture. i dont believe the NDP will do any better, they have never been friendly to hunters yamadirt... it was they who banned hunting bears was it not?

Kp...voting liberal, the best of the worst.

I'm not into trophy hunting anyhow. Meat only for residents! The GO's are in bed with the libs. I run my own small business to survive. Thats not my concern. I don't need a fancy house or fancy truck. I want to be able to go where ever I want in my province that i'm 4 generations deep in without coming up to a gate saying private this private that. Im looking long term. These POS libs are going to ruin B.C. and they don't care because they will be dead and gone in 20-30 yrs. I will still be here thank you very much.

Fishit

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2009, 08:01:21 PM »

Kingpin: Whoever outlawed hunting bears did the right thing. The fact that it still continues is beyond my understanding.

If you vote Liberals on May 12 it will be another 4 years of privatization. This province will be cut up and auctioned off to the highest bidder (USA). Yes, the Liberals have lowered taxes, but they have also cut the social services that help those in need. There are no longer the support systems in place to help the people in this province when they need it most. Every single day I witness the fact that BC has the worst child poverty rate in this country. That is INEXCUSABLE.

Instead of looking out for the best interest of the environment and our children, the Liberals decided to hold a two week party in 2010 that will cost the taxpayers millions (billions?) of dollars. Whoever forms the new government will have to raise taxes or sell off the rights of our province to pay for the Olympics.

Vote cast

« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 08:05:42 PM by Fishit »

bluesteele

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2009, 08:19:30 PM »

Just as the Liberals are NOT to blame for the current recession. The boom we
have been experiencing for so long is NOT because of the Liberals either !!!!!

Anyone who bought a home  yrs ago has made a great return. Not because
of ANY political party. The enviroment is a different beast than the economy.

One recovers quite easily being man made. The other does not.

Vote Liberal and sell out our resoiurces. When they are gone and not ours their is
no going back. Now thats FOOLISH.

Get real people. The NDP does not mean the economy will go to sh!!te. BUT if they do get elected
the Lib supporters I am sure will be screaming blue murder if the economy dumps more and blame it
on the new NDP.

GET REAL! If you have a profitable viable small business it will stand the test of time PERIOD.
Except of course things like the Cambie Corridor RAV line. AHHH  but the Liberals are for the
small business people. Tell that to the many businesses that have either gone out of biz
or are now swimming in huge debt.

NDP for me baby .

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2009, 08:44:14 PM »

Kingpin: Whoever outlawed hunting bears did the right thing. The fact that it still continues is beyond my understanding.

Outlawing bear hunting was as ridiculous as legislating harbour seals should be allowed to multiply without any kind of management.

Managing wildlife is critical to wildlife survival. Get over the fact that hunting may be distasteful to you. Personally I enjoy eating organic bear meat over any farm raised beef, chicken or pork. When I hunt bear, all it means is I'm killing my own meat rather than having someone kill my meat for me......

Another reason to not vote NDP!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2009, 11:07:59 PM »

Just as the Liberals are NOT to blame for the current recession. The boom we
have been experiencing for so long is NOT because of the Liberals either !!!!!

Anyone who bought a home  yrs ago has made a great return. Not because
of ANY political party. The enviroment is a different beast than the economy.

One recovers quite easily being man made. The other does not.

Vote Liberal and sell out our resoiurces. When they are gone and not ours their is
no going back. Now thats FOOLISH.

Get real people. The NDP does not mean the economy will go to sh!!te. BUT if they do get elected
the Lib supporters I am sure will be screaming blue murder if the economy dumps more and blame it
on the new NDP.

GET REAL! If you have a profitable viable small business it will stand the test of time PERIOD.
Except of course things like the Cambie Corridor RAV line. AHHH  but the Liberals are for the
small business people. Tell that to the many businesses that have either gone out of biz
or are now swimming in huge debt.

NDP for me baby .

Couldn't agree more. The fear mongering going around is simply ridiculous. In case some of you haven't noticed, but the BC Liberals have the media in their back pocket. I figured this out by the time I was 15, funny that grown men can't figure it out.
Actions speak louder than words.

yamadirt 426

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2009, 08:43:25 AM »

Just so we are clear I am still for bear hunting just not trophy bear hunting. Eat what you kill

Fishit

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2009, 09:30:47 AM »

Alwaysfishn,

What is most concerning of all is the amount of pessimism in your original post. It sounds like you have no faith in our political system here in Canada...that a politcal party might actually promote positive development. Huh, that is a shame.

On the issue of hunting...I am not against it. I am a fisherman, which is a form of hunting in my opinion. I disagree with hunting for apex predators as an excuse for wildlife management. My guess is you don't have an informed opinion. Mangement, managment, managment managment. But you are forgetting about the original problem. When we study viable ecosystems the need for managment is minimal. The problem is that human impact has tipped the scales and a natural balance no longer occurs. To suggest that killing bears is somehow a good managment technique is ridiculous. Are you somehow suggesting that we kill bears because their population is out of control??? The best mananement technique is avoiding the problem in the first place.

It is my assumption that the NDP cancelled bear hunting because they realized the problem lied in the unbalanced ecological dyanmics. Bears are not the culprit of the unbalanced ecosystem. The problem lies a little closer to home. Some of us just don't wish to admit it.

Anyhow, bears and orcas are very similar. They are at the pinnacle of the ecological pyrmaid (apex predators). We don’t run out and kill orcas just because the salmon popoluations are decimated. Atleast we don’t do it anymore. FYI, the United States used air force bombers to kill orcas in Iceland because they were thought to be the cause of low salmon returns. Geeez, I guess they finally figured out that it was human overfishing that was the cause. But here is the kicker, why do you think harbour seal populations are out of balance??? Because the apex predator were carpet bombed. That is why their is a need to "manage" them.

Have some faith in the politcal party you choose. And if you don't like what they are doing, either get involved or write a letter stating your disapproval.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2009, 09:46:10 AM »

Outlawing bear hunting was as ridiculous as legislating harbour seals should be allowed to multiply without any kind of management.

Managing wildlife is critical to wildlife survival. Get over the fact that hunting may be distasteful to you. Personally I enjoy eating organic bear meat over any farm raised beef, chicken or pork. When I hunt bear, all it means is I'm killing my own meat rather than having someone kill my meat for me......

Another reason to not vote NDP!

You're not going to lose your ability to hunt by voting NDP!!  I hunt and I am not afraid in the least of what will happen under the NDP, besides, there are much bigger problems our province is facing for me to be thinking about how it is going to affect my ability to hunt or fish.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2009, 11:20:16 AM »

There will be far fewer bears for you guys to hunt if Campbell gets in again to auction off our rivers.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2009, 11:23:59 AM »

NDP

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2009, 12:24:51 PM »

Alwaysfishn,

What is most concerning of all is the amount of pessimism in your original post. It sounds like you have no faith in our political system here in Canada...that a politcal party might actually promote positive development. Huh, that is a shame.

You wish to call it pessimism, I call it realism....   Don't get me wrong, your enthusiasm and passion is good. The fact that you registered yesterday in order to debate this is great. Debate is what makes our political system work!

On the issue of hunting...I am not against it. I am a fisherman, which is a form of hunting in my opinion. I disagree with hunting for apex predators as an excuse for wildlife management. My guess is you don't have an informed opinion. Mangement, managment, managment managment. But you are forgetting about the original problem. When we study viable ecosystems the need for managment is minimal. The problem is that human impact has tipped the scales and a natural balance no longer occurs. To suggest that killing bears is somehow a good managment technique is ridiculous. Are you somehow suggesting that we kill bears because their population is out of control??? The best mananement technique is avoiding the problem in the first place.

I'm not at all suggesting that killing bears is strictly about management, but it certainly is a factor. Hunting has been a way of life since the beginning of civilization and has been used for recreation as well as sustinance. Besides bears are tasty!

It is my assumption that the NDP cancelled bear hunting because they realized the problem lied in the unbalanced ecological dyanmics. Bears are not the culprit of the unbalanced ecosystem. The problem lies a little closer to home. Some of us just don't wish to admit it.

Anyhow, bears and orcas are very similar. They are at the pinnacle of the ecological pyrmaid (apex predators). We don’t run out and kill orcas just because the salmon popoluations are decimated. Atleast we don’t do it anymore. FYI, the United States used air force bombers to kill orcas in Iceland because they were thought to be the cause of low salmon returns. Geeez, I guess they finally figured out that it was human overfishing that was the cause. But here is the kicker, why do you think harbour seal populations are out of balance??? Because the apex predator were carpet bombed. That is why their is a need to "manage" them.

Have some faith in the politcal party you choose. And if you don't like what they are doing, either get involved or write a letter stating your disapproval.

I believe the NDP cancelled bear hunting because they wanted the votes of a group of non-hunters, nothing more. As far as the harbour seals, when you have declining populations of salmon and their enviroment is being screwed up you need to take additional actions, including reducing commercial fishing and even culling some seals. Managing wildlife is critical to their survival. If political decisions were made more on science and economics rather than garnering votes, politicians would gain a little more credibility. That my friend is reality, not pessimism.

The issue in my riding is the candidate who I would normally vote for is under a cloud and on principle I won't vote for him. As a result I'm looking for another option.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[