Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River Sockeye not at Risk From Fish Farms  (Read 19354 times)

mykisscrazy

Fraser River Sockeye not at Risk From Fish Farms
« on: March 31, 2009, 12:21:48 PM »

CANADA - Marine Harvest has retaliated to claims that Fraser River sockeye are at risk from salmon farms, saying that their practises ensure that the effects are kept to a minimum.

What Marine Harvest say they do

Sea lice numbers on farmed salmon are monitored and managed to minimise possible transfer to wild populations. This work is audited by provincial authorities.
BC salmon farms can only be sited in areas where water currents provide optimal conditions for fish well-being and environmental sustainability. This includes avoiding sensitive wild salmon habitat, such as coastal fish spawning and nursery areas.
To limit nutrient pollution, salmon farmers employ state-of-the-art feed monitoring systems that use real-time technology, such as underwater cameras and sensors, to detect uneaten feed and adjust feed delivery to the appetite of the salmon.

What you should know about sockeye and other Pacific salmon species-

Research shows that, except in their extreme infancy when first leaving their natal rivers, Pacific salmon are resistant to damage from sea lice.
Sockeye salmon spend much of the first year of their life in freshwater and have fully developed immune systems by the time they migrate to saltwater.
Sockeye fry linger in the Fraser Delta for up to 5 months until they (as underyearlings) emerge from the Fraser River plume in late July. Since wild salmon populations are either collecting in the delta or beginning their migration up the Fraser during this time, these adult wild salmon returns are a likely source of sea lice on juvenile salmon emerging from the river.
As the closest salmon farm is 110 km away from the Fraser River's mouth, there is no opportunity for outmigrating Fraser River salmon fry to come into contact with farmed salmon during the early stages of their life cycle.

Morty

Re: Fraser River Sockeye not at Risk From Fish Farms
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 01:26:59 PM »

logical.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Folkboat

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 07:07:44 PM »

Makes sense to me. Thank you Mykisscrazy.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 07:43:29 PM »

"except in their extreme infancy when first leaving their natal rivers, Pacific salmon are resistant to damage from sea lice"

They are, then there not resistant to Sea Lice? Dosen't make any sense. Obviously they are.

What about Salmon leaving rivers closer by than the Fraser?

Are the fish farms getting Sea Lice on adult fish that then get them on the juviniles?

Why has there been well documented issues with Sea Lice in other Countries as well as here?

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Folkboat

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 09:14:41 PM »

Studies have shown that smolts under 10 grams have a harder time dealing with lice than smolts over 10 grams. It would think it is much wiser to look into what the problems my be that salmon are leaving the rivers into the marine environment under 10 grams than it would be to point a finger at salmon farms. Many studies with 3rd party reviews and proper science etiquette have shown us this since the early 1900’s.
  Why do U.S funded activists or any anti-farm group looking for donations keep turning studies around to meet their own agenda with bias studies? Could it be the millions of  dollars they are funded to denounce farming and promote wild? From all the digging I have done, I can only think the activists are in it for the money whether they truly believe in what they are saying or not.
   Troutbreath Could you please link your “ well documented issues with Sea Lice in other Countries” It would be very interesting to see where your information is coming from. I for one do not like to educate myself on speculation.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 05:45:20 AM »

Studies have shown that smolts under 10 grams have a harder time dealing with lice than smolts over 10 grams. It would think it is much wiser to look into what the problems my be that salmon are leaving the rivers into the marine environment under 10 grams than it would be to point a finger at salmon farms. Many studies with 3rd party reviews and proper science etiquette have shown us this since the early 1900’s.
  Why do U.S funded activists or any anti-farm group looking for donations keep turning studies around to meet their own agenda with bias studies? Could it be the millions of  dollars they are funded to denounce farming and promote wild? From all the digging I have done, I can only think the activists are in it for the money whether they truly believe in what they are saying or not.
   Troutbreath Could you please link your “ well documented issues with Sea Lice in other Countries” It would be very interesting to see where your information is coming from. I for one do not like to educate myself on speculation.

I just did a Google on it. Try Norway in your search line.
http://

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 03:11:17 PM »

He could try Scotland, Ireland and Chili too. But I think he'd rather carry on with his own agenda.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Folkboat

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 06:38:50 PM »

Speculation perhaps. I would like to know how many sea lice Alaska produces on thier salmon farms. Although I still beleive sea lice is NOT the problem of poor salmon returns. To me it is just a marketing strategy by anti-farming crusaders.
       http://alaskasalmonranching.wordpress.com/     Are the salmon you buy at the store realy wild? Also please let me know if you can find an add for donations, or how to join us on this site.
   And I apologize to any Canadian commercial fisherman that I may have offended. It seems the only fish I can find in the stores comes from Alaska.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 06:55:13 PM »

I would like to know how many sea lice Alaska produces on thier salmon farms.

There are no fish farms in Alaska-none.

Folkboat

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 07:04:57 PM »

I beg to differ with you Troutbreath, but I do appreciate your response. If you go to this site you will see that there are fish farms in Alaska. Only in Alaska it is called salmon ranching.
    http://alaskasalmonranching.wordpress.com/

shmertis

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 07:57:27 PM »

I beg to differ with you Troutbreath, but I do appreciate your response. If you go to this site you will see that there are fish farms in Alaska. Only in Alaska it is called salmon ranching.

Not the same as in bc    "Ranched salmon are raised in hatcheries and net pens and then released into the ocean basin to compete for food with wild salmon."

Much different the waste and fish will not be concentrated

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 07:59:01 PM »

Growing out Smolts is not Salmon Aquaculture-you have no clue

I doubt you have ever seen/smelt a Salmon Farm/worked on a fisheries enhancement project or for that matter ever held a fishing rod.

Folkboat

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 08:41:23 PM »

Salmon in the wild are known to school in higher densities then that of a salmon farm in the winter feeding grounds of the north Pacific where all Pacific salmon migrate to. If the wild salmon do not hit their optinal size in the first winter, their chance to spawn is greatly reduced. As you can see this is no different in what Alaska is doing putting over 1.5 billion salmon into the ocean than putting millions of cattle on the buffalo range. I am sure we know what happend there. Over grazing.
 Yes I have donated my time to a fisheries enhancement project Sam Salmon. And yes I have seen a fish farm and have caught salmon on a rod. I also at one time thought salmon farming was bad.
  Shmertis. there is no difference from ranched raised salmon and farmed salmon, unless a B.C. farmed salmon escapes. Is this a double standard?

mykisscrazy

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 10:26:08 AM »

Sea Ranching is just another form of Fish Farming. It too has it's problems. Our own DFO hatcheries do it. One just has too look at the Alberni Canal. At one time there were quite a few Chinook stocks that went to quite a few smaller streams. Then Robertson Creek Hatchery came along and started pumping out hundreds of thousands chinook smolts. Well, there is now a really good run of Chinook back to the Stamp/Somass, but the rest of the streams feeding into the canal have seen a drastic decline. Then look at the Chum production in the Fraser and what it has done to the Thompson Steelhead. Same goes for the Ranched Sockeye production on the Skeena and what it has done to the Steelhead up there.  Same goes for Alaska - Bristol Bay is a great example - Yes there are tons of Sockeye that come back there, but they are now all cookie cutter fish hatchery fish and the local wild stocks are suffering.

For the Pacific Coast I feel that this issue (Alaska' Sea Ranching) has the ability to ruin not just BC Salmon but also Washington's, Oregon's, and California's salmon stocks. There is only so much food in the ocean - the offshore area where a lot end up - the Alaska gyre seems to be shrinking (global warming). The Alaska's and the Northern BC (Transboundry stocks) get there first and have a head start feeding. The rest are at a bit of a disadvantage. Just look at the sizes of returning fish over the last 20 to 30 years. Overall the further south one goes the smaller the fish are becoming.

But I am sure many of you will disagree...

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 02:47:57 PM »

This whole attack on growing out Smolts has it's origins in PETA fantasy world-which is where the blog that one newbie keeps trying to flog here comes from.

They are desperately trying to sabotage the USDA Organic label designation for Alaska Salmon-I did some searching some sites say Alaska has it others not I have no idea right now but I know they're close.

There may be some problems with outgrowing Smolts but that's completely different than Salmon Aquaculture as practiced in places like Norway, Scotland, Chile and BC-which is what the wingnuts want you to forget.

Hey-they're wingnuts-whaddya expect? ::)