Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buying Native caught fish  (Read 38540 times)

hotrod

Re: Buying Native caught fish
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2009, 07:25:51 AM »

In accordance to the Royal Proclamation of 1763 " for the use and benefit of the said Indians". Again this document is upheld in the 1982 Constitution charter of rights and freedoms. Buy away!

Hotrod

UCC 1-207. all rights reserved

Davis

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2009, 07:39:06 AM »

Hotrod,now i have to bite.Buy away??????????????? I prefer to catch my own.I not sure the law you keep quoteing is in fact what governs the selling of native caught fish for sale.As far as i know it is illegal to sell  salmon caught on the Fraser by natives,thier openings are for food and cerimoniol purposes only.A fisherman catches his own to eat,that is why we fish for sockeye when open.Buying sockeye illegally defeats the purpose and futhers these unethical actions.

nosey

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2009, 09:39:05 AM »

The last time there was a native commercial opening, they're were all kinds of fish packers and processors up around Hope buying truckloads of sockeye, so those fish you were buying in the markets in Vancouver were probably native caught fish, there did not seem to be any concern there, sometimes I cannot believe the naivety of the contributers to this forum thinking that a commercial caught fish that's been on ice for ten days before it reaches the market can be fresher than a native caught fish caught that morning. But wvr the next time there is a native commercial opening buy your fish at any market, if you don't think a native caught them they will probably be fresher to you. Jimmy Pattison has the right to catch more fish than any native band on the Fraser River and i don't see any racist  A holes boycotting his fish cuz he's white.
   If the natives have a legal commercial opening don't fight it, the fight has already been fought in court and they have, under the laws of our land won that opening, the only way that you will ever get counts on the fish is by cooperation not bitching about court cases already long lost.
   If you see a native selling fish illegally get his license number and any evidence you can and report him same way as you would a white guy or oriental.
   I keep seeing entries in here about the neighbor or the guy down the block or the wifes first cousin on her dads side buying illegally caught fish, well if you guys know so much about the illegal fish industry and you really give a cupcakes, REPORT THEM, don't just whine on some internet forum and do nothing.
   Btw pretty well all the native boats up this end of the river pack ice and ice their fish down soon as they come out of the net, they aren't going to deliberately spoil the fish, they eat them too.

odesseus

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2009, 11:17:05 AM »

For natives to fish commercially; that is, not for food or ceremonial purposes, they must have a licence and quota just like anyone else (white, brown or jimmy). Right now the government (both provincial and federal) is actively trying to move retiring commercial licences from the hands of "non-natives" to natives in an effort to stabilize the income of some of the remote single resource dependant bands. They do this by purchasing licences and quota on behalf of bands.

However for any fisherman (again white, brown or Jimmy) to try and sell fish caught under a personal exemption (ceremonial and food or a recreational licence) is illegal; nothing racist about it. So, buying fish is not the problem (native or otherwise); the problem arises when the fish for sale are caught under personal exemption.

Apart of licences, what is really concerning are some native fishing practices, especially gillnets, which indiscriminately target species like sturgeon, wild coho, Stuart salmonids etc. This is a very unsustainable and irresponsable way to harvest fish as the impact on non-targeted species is horrific by the DFOs own studies.

What we really should be boycotting is any fish caught in a river gillnet (whoever was holding the net).

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2009, 11:50:33 AM »

I work for a major company here in the lower mainland. This morning I received this e-mail (along with about 65 other people) soliciting sockeye salmon purchases. I have edited out the names to protect both the guilty and the innocent.....  ::)

"I can get sockeye straight out of the river for the following prices:

Whole $10
Clean $13
Fillet $15

My mother in law just bought a cleaned sockeye in Steveston for $75. If you would like any please let me know how much and have cash to me by week's end as I am going saturday."

When I questioned the individual he insisted that the person he was buying from was a licensed commercial fisherman..... Apparently ignorance is not only bliss, but can get you some smokin deals!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2009, 11:57:46 AM »

My friendly neighbourhood FN sells socks for 10-12 bucks a piece every year.
However, he said prices might go up this year as sporties won't be catching them at all.  ::)

Mmmm....sockeye.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2009, 03:04:17 AM »

That will sure upset a lot of people if the price goes up. Now the bbers will have a new 'sin' on their head for causing the price to go up after they are labelled as the group which can threaten the soc stock. How funny LOL.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2009, 09:51:22 AM »

Btw pretty well all the native boats up this end of the river pack ice and ice their fish down soon as they come out of the net, they aren't going to deliberately spoil the fish, they eat them too.

I have heard the exact opposite from a native in the Hope area.  He said a ridiculous amount gets wasted and many use a bathtub to keep their salmon in and when it goes bad they just go catch some more.  He also said there was a problem with them not sharing amongst the band members.

Davis

« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2009, 07:54:48 AM »

Its gonna be a heyday now with the sporties shutdown,business will be booming for the natives selling socks this yr.

Speychucker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2009, 07:20:48 AM »

I will NEVER buy a salmon from FN's !
Not untill our government treats all user groups as one.
We all fish, or no one fishes.

Gaffer

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2009, 11:59:37 AM »

Natives still own the land and waterways!  It has never been sold! The Royal Proclamation of 1763 is upheld and affirmed in the 1982 Constitution, charter of rights and freedoms.You guys should carefully read those documents. I buy fish from time to time!

Hotrod
The CROWN owns the waterways and some of the land --hence the name Crown Lands-- and You should read those documents more carefully my fellow fisher  ie  the Delgamuukw decision

Gaffer

« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2009, 12:08:37 PM »

so you are really certain that  even a First nation person need a license to sell fish? Do They? then why are they not required to have a fishing license to fish? and is there an actual quote specificly on this issue or cases that might support your statement, or you are pretty sure anyone would plead guilty by the court of law if they were caught buying fish from a native?
No fishing license is required for  any fish caught by 1st Nations people  for"Food ,Social, Ceremonial "(FSC) purposes OR for sale with a Commercial license --No Sales License -- No sale-- that's the Law

hotrod

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2009, 07:02:57 AM »

Gaffer!

Do you even know who "the crown" is?

Hotrod
all rights reserved with prejudice
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 07:32:54 PM by hotrod »