Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buying Native caught fish  (Read 38072 times)

Davis

Re: Buying Native caught fish
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2009, 10:08:32 AM »

I will never buy fish from the Natives,but i know people who do.If nobody bought from them,it would end these practices.My thoughts are they should only be allowed to keep what they intend to eat,not to sell for profit.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2009, 01:50:45 PM »

give them rights to harvest a number, (maybe 250,000 or what ever the population of fish will allow) keep track that they don't go over, and let them do what ever they want with there allotted amount.

hey, bigwinner
they sell for $10 a fish

Ya, that should be easy....... ::) ::) ::)

alwaysfishin

its easier then busting every food fish sale.

count the fish as the boats come in, and stop them when quotas are met.
 leaving native confrontation to the docks and rivers and out of the major public areas.

maybe you could add something worth reading, to your own thread.

There is probably 2-300 miles or more of the Fraser river that is fished by the natives. Fishing in those areas is often carried on 24 hours a day. Many of the areas are only accessible by boat. It would be impossible to monitor catch quotas.

That's likely why fisheries monitors native quotas on a voluntary reporting basis....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2009, 03:16:23 PM »

I also don't think that DFO has the funding or staff to implement a system to monitor the catch rates themselves.

hotrod

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2009, 06:30:47 AM »

Natives still own the land and waterways!  It has never been sold! The Royal Proclamation of 1763 is upheld and affirmed in the 1982 Constitution, charter of rights and freedoms.You guys should carefully read those documents. I buy fish from time to time!

Hotrod

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2009, 06:30:05 PM »

and the ones they dont sell for 10$ they just dump them on the side of the road...................very poor handling of OUR fish.

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2009, 08:41:32 PM »

Things change.  Yes, Europeans took land and resources that previously had been used only by the natives.  That happened.  Apologies have been made.  Land claims have been reached and continue to be handled.  This is the past.  Now we have to live for the present and the future.  All Canadians have to use and share our resources in a sustainable way, or they won't be here in the future.  Neither current commercial nor native fishery practices are sustainable, or completely transparent and honest.     

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2009, 09:14:23 PM »

We belong to the land it doesn't belong to us THAT GOES FOR EVERYONE no matter white, brown, black or purple
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 09:16:50 PM by k.c. »

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2009, 09:45:29 PM »

Things change.  Yes, Europeans took land and resources that previously had been used only by the natives.  That happened.  Apologies have been made.  Land claims have been reached and continue to be handled.  This is the past.  Now we have to live for the present and the future.  All Canadians have to use and share our resources in a sustainable way, or they won't be here in the future.  Neither current commercial nor native fishery practices are sustainable, or completely transparent and honest.     

Agreed, how long must our generation pay for what other have done before us. Don't get me wrong alot of indefensable things have happened but at some point a culture has to move on and become part of the coimmunity
always a student

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2009, 07:37:40 AM »

I second that, it's Their Own Land since like ever... and they certainly have rights to do whatever they wants within their own jurisdiction whether you buy fish off them or not, they are just doing the same thing as their ancestors did thousands of years ago and they will keep on doing this in the future, too.  They are not the people who screwed up the whole environment that makes fishing harder than before, so they certainly don't have the responsibility to follow our rules. Remember anyone with Indian Status don't need a fishing license, so how are you gonna judge them by our rules?

So you think that gill and drift netting 24hrs per day covering 100% of the width of the fraser has no impact on fish stocks?

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2009, 07:58:43 AM »

could they reply in your own words too? You think you pay for wat you havn't done and the Natives don't? Not here to lecture anyone, but i thought it's written thoroughly in Constitution which is the agreement in between Europeans and natives that Hotrod stated previously, and everybody already know that isn't it?
  Please clarify your statement a little more I'm not sure I understand what you mean. What do you mean the natives are paying for(not meant to be a racial statement just wondering what you mean)?

"and everybody already know that isn't it?"
I don't understand what you mean.

Nothing will be solved until all sectors come together and one side stops feeling they have the right to dictate more than another. Everyone must take a step back from their own interests. Everything must be done in the best interest of the resource and gill netting and selling fish illegally as well as commercial harvest at this time with dwindling stocks is not in the best interest of that resource plain and simple.

So you think that gill and drift netting 24hrs per day covering 100% of the width of the fraser has no impact on fish stocks?

Very well put. I don't think this is the way of the "ancestors".

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 10:05:18 AM by dereke »
always a student

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2009, 11:46:50 AM »

This is getting a little ridiculous.  By no means am I saying that any native rights issues are resolved.  This country does have a shameful past, as do all where an aboriginal group has been conquered at some point in history (which is most). 

Still, we are one species who needs to take a much more future oriented perspective when thinking about our resources.  When we consider how many fish are harvested by any group we need to consider what is sustainable.  The current native fishery practices (at least on the lower Fraser) are not honest, ethical, or sustainable.  Anyone who buys fish they catch in a non-sanctioned fishery is supporting this.   

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2009, 11:52:30 AM »

If we want to have a meaningful discussion and keep this thread from being locked, I think that we need to take the racial aspect out.  What is really important when buying fish, or any other product for that matter, is whether or not you are getting it from a source that minimizes the impact on the resource and the environment. 

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2009, 12:47:27 PM »

If we want to have a meaningful discussion and keep this thread from being locked, I think that we need to take the racial aspect out.  What is really important when buying fish, or any other product for that matter, is whether or not you are getting it from a source that minimizes the impact on the resource and the environment. 

What about the small fact that it is illegal to buy native caught fish?   ::)

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/media/npress-communique/2007/pr17-eng.htm

November 28, 2007  VANCOUVER – Following a recent investigation by fishery officers that uncovered the unauthorized sale of fish and fish products via the internet, Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) would like to remind the public of the health and safety concerns surrounding the purchase of such products from unauthorized and unapproved sources.

Fish and shellfish that is being sold to the public must go through the necessary health and safety inspections that are required when selling to the public. Fish from an unapproved source, that is not properly processed or stored, or that has not been part of a regulated inspection process may cause serious illness or, in some cases, even death.

The Department recommends that any fish or fish products recently purchased over the internet, from non-commercial sources in the Lower Mainland, should not be consumed due to potentially high levels of e-coli bacteria. Anyone with questions or concerns about consuming any such products acquired through the internet may contact the DFO reporting line toll free at 1-800-465-4336 or 604-607-4186 (in Greater Vancouver), or contact their local health authority.

DFO would also like to remind the public that it is unlawful to buy, sell, trade or barter, or offer to buy, sell, trade or barter any fish that has not been caught under a licence that authorizes sale. Only fish caught under a licence that authorizes the sale of that fish should be purchased.

Businesses or individuals that buy or sell fish are subject to federal and provincial fisheries and health legislation. Violators of this legislation may be subject to arrest, fines, jail, and forfeiture of anything seized.

DFO is continually working to end illegal fishing activities and the related illegal sales of such fish and fish products. As part of this work, the Department is asking the general public for information on activities of this nature or any contravention of the Fisheries Act and Regulations. Anyone with information can call the toll-free violation reporting line at 1-800-465-4336.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 12:52:01 PM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2009, 07:31:24 PM »

People do illegal things all of the time when they know they will likely get away with it (ie. smoking pot, speeding, etc.).  I doubt that many people are getting caught and convicted for buying these fish.  I know that this was the original intent of the post, but I don't think this is as much an issue of whether or not it is legal as it is an issue of whether or not is the practice is a damaging thing.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2009, 08:55:19 PM »

I don't see a word Native in the entire article

Neither do I........   :o  and I suspect you're just being a smart a$$ and you actually understand this statement: "DFO would also like to remind the public that it is unlawful to buy, sell, trade or barter, or offer to buy, sell, trade or barter any fish that has not been caught under a licence that authorizes sale. Only fish caught under a licence that authorizes the sale of that fish should be purchased."

But in case you don't........  next time you buy a fish from a native ask him if its a "fish that has not been caught under a licence that authorizes sale."

Although the first nation people have unique rights and privileges, they are still governed by the laws of Canada. DFO is responsible for enforcing the fisheries laws. Buying a fish from a native is no different than speeding, in most cases you won't get caught, but you are still breaking the law.