Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buying Native caught fish  (Read 38691 times)

maverick

Re: Buying Native caught fish
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 12:09:51 PM »

Obviously no one has been to the Moricetown Falls on the Bulkley River in July. I remember my uncle buying salmon thirty plus years ago to barbeque that night for dinner. I have been through a few times in the past few years heading to the Kitimat and I still see people lined up at the trunk of a car so I can only assume it is to pick up a fish.

I agree it is wrong to purchase salmon from the natives who should be fishing for food not profit but I think it has gone on for a lot longer then people think. I don't ever recall seeing a conservation officer being present when I have been there and I would suggest they have most likely just turned a blind eye to the entire situation. They are not selling all of the fish they harvest and this is most likely why no action has been taken. I personally feel as an adult that it could lead to an overharvest of fish so I don't buy any fish from the natives. However, thirty years ago no one was talking about depleting salmon stocks. Besides I'm driving up to the Kitimat to catch my own.

I don't see what creating another commercial fishery would accomplish. If it is to limit the amount of salmon natives are catching or the total number of fish harvested then who is going to be cutback to make room for this fishery? Will it be the commercial side or sportfishing? I would assume they won't touch the native harvest numbers for food.

DAWGMAN

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 09:37:08 PM »

I refuse to buy off the natives. I would rather buy from save-on first.

ejeffrey

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 10:44:24 AM »

I refuse to buy off the natives. I would rather buy from save-on first.

Likewise.

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2009, 05:42:39 PM »

I would never buy off them. I have heard many disgusting stories from CO's that come by my work saying they sometimes urinate on the fish before selling them and there are obviously no sanitary requirements or food safe requirements when buying fish from someone without a reputable business license. My advice  after hearing many stories from the CO's: STAW AWAY unless its from a licensed food safe store.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2009, 04:34:19 PM »

anyone know what the natives are selling the fish/lb. ?

I don't know.....  I've never bought any.....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Richmond

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2009, 01:58:01 PM »

give them rights to harvest a number, (maybe 250,000 or what ever the population of fish will allow) keep track that they don't go over, and let them do what ever they want with there allotted amount.

hey, bigwinner
they sell for $10 a fish

drh

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 05:42:53 PM »

I used to fish with a wealthy guy who lived in New West at the time,he bought 30 off them delivered to his house in back of a pick up on a hot sunny summer day,asked me if I wanted any I decined.
He paid 300 for the lot ::)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 06:26:25 PM »

give them rights to harvest a number, (maybe 250,000 or what ever the population of fish will allow) keep track that they don't go over, and let them do what ever they want with there allotted amount.

hey, bigwinner
they sell for $10 a fish

Ya, that should be easy....... ::) ::) ::)
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 07:04:47 PM »

hey, bigwinner
they sell for $10 a fish

Ya, that should be easy....... ::) ::) ::)

alwaysfishin

its easier then busting every food fish sale.

count the fish as the boats come in, and stop them when quotas are met.
 leaving native confrontation to the docks and rivers and out of the major public areas.

maybe you could add something worth reading, to your own thread.

jeff

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 07:31:29 PM »

If want to know another reason not to buy native fish, a few years back I was coaching hockey and we had the kids running laps behind twin rinks when a pickup pulled up and the people in the truck started putting the snow that was cleaned off the the ice into containers holding fish. Anyone who has spent anytime in a hockey arena can attest to what could or is in that snow. Also it says right in my hockey Canada coaches book that snow off the ice should never be ingested.
Enjoying the water..........

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2009, 08:00:06 PM »

5-10 bucks a fish......

odesseus

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2009, 09:43:16 PM »

I can't even buy bar weights for that price let alone a whole fish!!!

coho killer

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2009, 10:53:17 PM »

You guys shouldnt label natives that way i seen a whiteman netting the river last year (sweltzer)

salmon river

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2009, 03:25:33 AM »

Out of curiosity is it actually illegal to buy fish from Natives? I have seen them being sold at various places over the years and never heard of anyone getting arrested or shut down or anyone arrested for buying them. Have there been court cases over this?

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2009, 09:23:19 AM »

No one is labelling anyone. It is illegal for ANYONE to sell fish unless they are licensed, race does not matter ; however, if you read the title of the page it is about buying native caught fish, no one is pinning all illegal fishing activities on natives, nor are we saying natives are the only ones doing this,  we are simply replying to questions asked about NATIVE CAUGHT FISH . So please put the race cards away as from my opinion no one is playing the race card  except those attacking us for replying to valid questions. If you doubt the fish in question you are interested in buying , ask to see their license, if they don't have one , report them. Many people have been caught and reported/ dealt with for illegally selling fish, and if they are not dealt with by the proper authorities, at least YOU have done your part.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 09:25:20 AM by salmonsturgeontrout »