Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead Etiquette  (Read 11904 times)

hue-nut

• Old Timer
Steelhead Etiquette
« on: January 20, 2009, 08:04:36 PM »

just wondering if some of the more experience guys on here can give their two cents in regards to Steelhead etiquette.

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 08:08:33 PM »

dont cut in below someone working a run already, if you want to pass them Kindly ask to go below, they may say yes or no. dont wade through a tail out guys are fishing. the next is a personal option, if a guy misses a fish do u cast in before he gets a chance or wait for him to try again? i dont do it to friends or strangers(unless im pissed off at them). Dont crowd a guy out if he hooks a fish.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 08:11:03 PM »

I did not know that there was any left.  It was funny when I was out on Sunday searun and I where fishing a run from the top and we where moving down to where this other angler was fence posting.  I asked him if it was alright for me to move below him and start fishing. The puzzled look on his face when I asked him made me realize he had no idea what I was doing. I have had on far to many occasions people just jump in below as we are making our way down a run that I do not even say anything to them but I do make a loud enough remark about how etiquette is missing these days on the river.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 08:13:41 PM »

Reel your line in when someone hooks a fish and let him fight it. Wait til he either lands or lose the fish before resuming casting.

bones

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 09:06:08 PM »

i definitly think that alot has been lost but at the same time i think that the stealhead season is one season that is alittle bit of that etiquette still left. however i could just be luck and have ran into the few nice guys out there

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 09:15:05 PM »

haha, nice one for your first post buddy, good to see you are finally a member, there's lots to learn on this site. thanks for the replies guys, seems like the way you fish a run is where a lot of etiquette is lost. I usually come up to a run and chat with whoever is fishing it and if they say its cool then I fish it with them, if not I move on. I've never had someone say no though, people in general seem a lot less uptight during steely season.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 11:21:26 PM »

give the spey dudes PLENTY of room, even consider not fishing the run.
Fish killer 101

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 11:26:29 PM »

defenetly, if your within 3 miles of one, they get up tight ;)

Morty

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 11:57:57 PM »

if you have a dog with you and someone near you has a fish on, get control of your dog.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 12:08:05 AM »

Take your bait containers and excess line out with you.

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 07:10:59 AM »

i hit the vedder twice in the last week. i can say that after explaining to a guy who cut in 10 feet below us! >:( it was not cool, all he said was "aaa sorry dude" and did it again 3 minuets later! so i talked to his buddy who seemed , to be a little more experienced. i was wrong he was more retarded than the first guy. i have to say that with all my experiences on that river i m sick of it! fishing water with a$$&^%!@s is not how i want to spend my time off.  no common sense, no brains period! ??? :o if  a guy has got roots i will always ask him if i can go below him, if not i hit the next run.if  a guy is working a run i give him room and fish behind him.unless invited to do otherwise. it is that simple!

the part that i really hate is 9 times out of 10 i m picking up their coffee cups and crap as i fish behind them! ignorant and rude would be how i would describe at least 80% of the guys out on that system. >:(
i guess the only people with manners are the ones from this site?

if i do go back this season i will bring the spey rod and won't be shy to swing close to anyone who tries to "snake" me on  a run.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 07:15:11 AM by brood dude »
girls suck throw rocks at them!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 07:33:22 AM »

If your retired, don't fish on the weekends :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 08:26:54 AM »

i personally haven't had any real problems with guys low holing me, more than a few times i'm half through the run, and i'll see a pair or an anlger waiting for me to work a little bit farther down before they even move in. So mabey its the area of river i fish, but none the less its not that! bad.
Fish killer 101

dss

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 08:38:13 AM »

Way too often I start at the top of a run and starting working my way down only have to have some jackass drop in 15 ft below me when I'm halfway through it. The other day I was just getting to the tailout and 2 guys decided to walk out and fish the rest of the run for me.

There are some people out there who try and do it right but about 90% or more don't give a **** or just don't care to learn. The vedder is a meat fishery and that mentality doesn't really change from salmon season to steelhead , there are just a few less guys to deal with.

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 05:29:10 PM »

i agree with both of you.

i once saw a guy walk up and down the lickman area with a winter run about 4 times while i worked a run! hmmmm, i wonder what he is compensating for? i don't retain steelhead but in salmon season as soon as i limit out i m gone. why should i parade around with a bag full of fish and advertize (ruffly) where they were caught! i think it's silly.

i would love to see threads about river conditions and that's it!

Steelhead season is now definitely a continuation of Coho/fall season,  the same meat mentality exists .The HYPING of Steelhead success on the internet brings more pressure to succeed to newer and older anglers alike, Etiquette only gets better because the numbers are traditionally lower of fisherman,  Number one thing, i believe most  < is keep spots secret from internet lurkers< keep these to your friends and pals , i can guarantee you the slab will be full at 630am now due to someone saying a person landed a fish there. The best steelheaders i know dont report on the net, they have a close knit group of friends that get the goods, they realize that there arent that many around so when they find them or a good spot, they take extra precautions to protect it, thus being etiquette friendly
I wonder if we know the same people ;) That has always seemed like common sense to me but these days it is not all that common. In fact I don't understand why people post at all. Maybe if you are a guide and want to promote your business but the average joe fisherman shouldn't have any motive too? I know for a fact that everyone I know likes it when the river is empty. I guess the thrill of the catch is not enough for some people and they need to brag about their catch to others. Whether they know them or not.
girls suck throw rocks at them!