Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New BC Aquaculture projects to support the Economies of Rural, Coastal and First  (Read 4669 times)

work2fish

New BC Aquaculture projects to support the Economies of Rural, Coastal and First Nations Communities

Campbell River, B.C.—Three innovation projects designed to boost the productivity and economic performance of the aquaculture industry in B.C. will receive a total of $524,000 in federal funding through the Government of Canada’s Aquaculture Innovation and Market Access Program (AIMAP).

“When we invest in our aquaculture industry, we are investing in improved conservation and sustainable jobs in British Columbia today and for years to come,” said Vancouver Island North MP John Duncan, who made the announcement on behalf of Fisheries Minister Gail Shea. “That is why our Government is investing $23.5 million over the next five years to support the development of a vibrant and sustainable Canadian aquaculture industry that contributes to the economies of rural, coastal and First Nations communities.”

The projects, being lead by Kyuquot SEAfoods Ltd., the B.C. Centre for Aquatic Health Sciences and the B.C. Salmon Farmers Association, include work: to develop environmentally friendly systems and components that will allow existing salmon farm infrastructure to be modified to incorporate the commercial-scale production of other marine species; to coordinate the development of additional aquaculture innovation projects, including providing information and expert advice to the industry; and transfer cryopreservation technology from fish growers in New Zealand to the aquaculture industry in Canada.

AIMAP’s overall goal is to support Canadian aquaculture and encourage innovation investments in this industry. Funding provided through the program will help recipients plan, manage and complete projects designed to enhance the productivity, economic viability and potential of the aquaculture industry in Canada, as well as to produce a healthy and nutritious food source.

Please visit the following website for more information on DFO’s aquaculture program and the AIMAP application process: www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/aquaculture/sustainable-durable/innovation-eng.htm. For more information on the projects announced today, please view the media backgrounder on these initiatives.

------------------------------

“When we invest in our aquaculture industry, we are investing in improved conservation and sustainable jobs in British Columbia today and for years to come,” said Vancouver Island North MP John Duncan

Improved conservation by investing in more lice farms?  What a load of @#$@!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy

Sustainable Production: increased productivity, reduced production costs, and/or increased value of existing commercial species (e.g., broodstock improvements, access to cultured spat, technology exchange, or coordination initiatives) Increased Diversification: investigation and development of alternate species or practices (e.g., technology projects, technology exchange initiatives)
Green Technology: processes or practices that improve the environmental performance of the sector (e.g., feeding strategies, energy utilization)
Market Access: increasing market access for aquaculture products by supporting one or more of the following:
developing/adopting best management practices, third-party audited certification systems or other approaches related to environmental management, on-farm food safety, quality, and marine safety
participating in strategic international initiatives aimed at shaping certification standards for the aquaculture industry

This project doesn't seem to think Sea Lice are an issue. Sounds like crap and maybe worse. Might be more money in the lice producers pocket.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

nosey

Read it, this is money going to expand the fish farms, this is SICK, this is like investing money to kill the last of our wild salmon, I am actually as close to speachless as I  can get. John Duncan should be submerged in a tank full of sea lice till they suck his body dry for supporting such blatant bull ****.

rhino

• Old Timer

Read it, this is money going to expand the fish farms, this is SICK, this is like investing money to kill the last of our wild salmon, I am actually as close to speachless as I  can get. John Duncan should be submerged in a tank full of sea lice till they suck his body dry for supporting such blatant bull ****.

i agree with you there. So disturbing. I dont know about the submerging in sea lice tho.lol