Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bottom-trawlers most damaging to habitat  (Read 3023 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Bottom-trawlers most damaging to habitat
« on: December 16, 2008, 09:38:59 AM »

Bottom-trawlers most damaging to habitat

By Larry PynnDecember 16, 2008

Bottom-trawl nets are the most destructive harvesting method in terms of habitat destruction and incidental catch of non-target species, according to a national report released today.

The report, released by the B.C.-based Living Oceans Society, Ecology Action Centre, and Marine Conservation Biology Institute, ranks the impacts of 13 different gear types used in Canada based on the latest research and statistics as well as the opinions of dozens of scientists, fishermen, conservation groups, and fish managers from across the country.

Bottom trawling was rated as having the worst impact, followed by bottom gillnets, dredges and bottom longlines. Pots and traps, such as those used to catch lobster and crab, had intermediate ecological impacts. Fishing gear with low impacts included hook and line such as rod and reel for tuna, salmon troll and hand lining for groundfish.

In B.C., where bottom trawls are used off the Pacific coast to catch a variety of groundfish, issues include habitat damage when the nets are raked over the seabed, as well as discard of non-target fish.

The report, entitled How We Fish Matters: Addressing the Ecological Impacts of Canadian Fishing Gear, recommends that Fisheries and Oceans Canada immediately implement policies for the protection of habitat and marine life. It also recommends that adequate monitoring, research and data collection on fishing gear impacts be undertaken.

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: Bottom-trawlers most damaging to habitat
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 12:19:55 PM »

I'm shocked that they're still using them.  I thought they stopped years ago.