Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More snag-fests  (Read 15123 times)

Froodogga

More snag-fests
« on: October 21, 2008, 09:25:35 AM »

Decided to check out the Stave River for the first time yesterday.  You think the snagging on the vedder is bad...All I saw were guys bottom bouncing and pulling in fish sideways, and then bonking them too.  I even saw one guy remove the hook from the dorsal, place the hook in the mouth and then crack it on the head  I fail to see the need for bottom bouncing as short float fishing was working fine.  Sigh...

milo

• Old Timer
Re: More snag-fests
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 10:52:09 AM »

And I guess you called the relevant authorities to report what you had seen?
If not, this is just another useless internet whining thread.

Enough! >:(

Froodogga

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 10:54:47 AM »

Actually I didn't have to Milo...The CO's were there handing out tickets... ;D

No whining here...In fact if you took time to read what I wrote, I'm actually educating people telling them there is no need to snag...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 10:56:26 AM by Froodogga »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 11:06:46 AM »

Actually I didn't have to Milo...The CO's were there handing out tickets... ;D

No whining here...In fact if you took time to read what I wrote, I'm actually educating people telling them there is no need to snag...

Glad the CO's were there issuing tickets. That should have been the main focus of your thread.
As far as the educational part goes...I didn't see in your post anything about you doing it on the river - where it really matters.
Anyone who reads FWR ahs already been more than educated.

I will go as far as to suggest that whoever reads this and still snags fish intentionally is a lowlife who probably also steels money from their grandmother's purse.

Sorry if I came across as harsh...I guess I am suffering from SROS (snagging report overload syndrome).
Good for you to keep an eye out. Make sure to report the violators time and again.
 ;D

SmokeyRiver

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 12:04:32 PM »

Was up there on the weekend wat a zoo and no Co's..... chum does were smashing pink prawns and roe no need to bottom bounce thats for sure.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 02:54:35 PM »

The best thing you can do is call RAPP every time you see an infraction... If they are flooded with calls, then they will realize there is a problem.

I have RAPP on my speed dial!

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 03:11:18 PM »

Nicole, from my experience, the MoE RAPP line is not efficient for reporting fishing regulation violations - unless you are reporting a poacher.
They won't give a rat's behind if you report a guy snagging.
It is much better and more efficient to dial DFO's ORR line (Observe, record, report): 1-800-465-4336

or in Greater Vancouver: 604-607-4186

Cheers,

Milo

« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 03:14:10 PM by milo »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 03:13:37 PM »

Darn double posting...sorry.

:-[

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 03:31:46 PM »

Nicole, from my experience, the MoE RAPP line is not efficient for reporting fishing regulation violations - unless you are reporting a poacher.
They won't give a rat's behind if you report a guy snagging.
It is much better and more efficient to dial DFO's ORR line (Observe, record, report): 1-800-465-4336

or in Greater Vancouver: 604-607-4186

Cheers,

Milo

Who shows up when you call this number?

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 04:04:08 PM »

If and when they have anyone available in the area, a Fisheries Officer will show up. (Green Uniform)

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 04:25:42 PM »

Awesome, another number to add to the arsenal!

Thanks,
Nicole

-Garrett Hardin

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 04:59:18 PM »

I wish I have more faith in the authorities but I don't. I've called in numerous infractions and not once have any CO's responded.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 08:53:32 PM »

I wish I have more faith in the authorities but I don't. I've called in numerous infractions and not once have any CO's responded.

Still no reason to stop, the phone call only takes minutes in my opinion. If the calls stop it will only get worse........
always a student

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 08:58:48 PM »

stopped by for a half hour after work... tons of dirty chum and tons of snaggers... but i still had 2 does smash my jigs  :)
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 09:59:12 PM »

Was out there today and had a good day  ;D . I saw the CO's doing surveillance from an area I will not disclose, but let's just say from where they are they where able to see all but they could not be seen  ;D . They where using pretty high powered scopes.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day