Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sinking tip choice for spey!!!  (Read 2150 times)

bravo252

Sinking tip choice for spey!!!
« on: October 14, 2008, 06:07:26 PM »

I went stave for the last Sunday and Monday for some action as a spey virgin!! ;D

The fishing was fine for everyone at the run, but not me!!!! >:(
Guys with short floating(I mean both bottom draggers and short foaters) hooked fish almost every single cast.
The run was full of fish!!!! However, I couldn't even hook one, and I tried 5 diffrent tips(type 6 to 14) and several different flies. :'(

Can anyone please let me know right choice of sinking tip for different type of water??

Thanks in advance~!! ;D

Bravo~!! :D

dennyman

• Old Timer
Re: Sinking tip choice for spey!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 06:38:48 PM »

Bravo: if you say people short floating were getting into fish then you know that they are a couple feet off of bottom. So your objective is to get your fly in that strike zone. I would say something like a sink tip 3 if you were using the rio muliti tip line. Now with that being said how were your casts to the salmon? If the casts you were making were on the sloppy side, then there is a good chance that your drifts with your fly were also not good. Casiting sink tips with a spey rod can be a challenge, so in some cases maybe shorten up the casts you make, or try full floating fly line first to get your casting down. Then as you start feeling good work yourself up to some sink tips. I am sure after a few trips you will have it dialled in.

ffonly

• the truth is out there...
Re: Sinking tip choice for spey!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 07:11:49 PM »

Depends on the water speed really but could be many other factors other then just your sink tip. We're you fishing for Chums or Coho on the stave? I find coho are fish that you need to retrieve the fly to hook them. Not that you won't hook coho by just straight swinging but they really like to chase and hit flies being stripped in at varying speeds (usually quick). Chum on the other hand are pretty aggressive and should take flies being swung as well as stripped in.

If the water is slow typical coho water then just use a clear/intermediate sink and try stripping the fly at the end of the swing. Or if you are using a skagit setup you can get away with casting out and stripping in a bit during the swing since you don't need much line out for each cast.
There is a tall church across the street from the statue

with crosses, steeples, bells and a vast door that looks like

a huge mousehole, perhaps from a Tom and Jerry cartoon,

and written above the door is "Per L'Universo."

Around five o'clock in the afternoon of my cover for

Trout Fishing in America, people gather in the park across

the street from the church and they are hungry.

It's sandwich time for the poor.

But they cannot cross the street until the signal is given.

Then they all run across the street to the church and get

their sandwiches that are wrapped in newspaper.