Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If you could change the regs for the Vedder, what would you want done?

Eliminate hatchery and make it strictly C&R
- 4 (4.3%)
Declare it classified waters and make people pay 50-100$ a year if they want to fish it.
- 15 (16.3%)
Limit daily retention to one salmon (any species), with a ten fish a year maximum, making it mandatory to stop fishing after you bonk your fish.
- 27 (29.3%)
More area closures (Similar to Boundary Hole)
- 3 (3.3%)
Leader restriction (3 feet maximum) strictly enforced!
- 34 (37%)
Other (please explain)
- 9 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Author Topic: The Future of the Vedder  (Read 34269 times)

Camman

Re: The Future of the Vedder
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2008, 10:05:35 PM »

I like the one fish per day max 10 per year idea
I do to but there are a lot of not truthful people out there......

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2008, 11:39:13 PM »

I have no problem with fly fishers at all as the majority of them are actually "true" fisherman and they are there for the sport. I wish there were more of them.

Isn't true fisherman fish to support their family? Catching fish is first priority.  Fish for fun is only very resent.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2008, 12:15:44 AM »

I just wanted to point out that when you flyfish with a floating line, you typically need 10 feet of leader to get the fly away from the line, as the fish don't come close to it.

If there was a restriction, there would have to be an exemption put in place for floating fly lines, as it is a 100% legitimate technique...

I would not want to see gear restrictions or closures, but education programs put in place, and larger fines and policing, so snaggers see it does not pay.

Why the heck is there not a dedicated CO for the Vedder during salmon season? We need one badly. Many of these problems would immediately stop with regular enforcement.

Cheers,
Nicole
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 12:27:35 AM by Nicole »
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2008, 12:24:25 AM »

Yes but then will have to add you can not add any weight to the 'floating line' or to the leader. 

Practically any more reg change it's going to be confusing and wording has to be so precise only lawyers would understand how to fish.  :P  Just add more enforcement, that's the real problem solver.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2008, 12:39:10 AM »

The Vedder is the prime hatchery river. Let's keep it that way. Those who wants solitude and c&r can go to many other systems. The fish are there to be taken. There is an over abundance of fall salmon so conservation is no concern, so why all the restriction and limits as if we don't have enough already? I visited the hatchery today. Oh boy, even this early in the season, the hatchery is full of fish already. Pretty soon the fishway will be so choke full of fish that it cannot hold any more late arrivals.

I think if the objection is the snag fest, then restriction of leader length is a good solution, and make sure enough enforcement to make it work. I was checked today by a CO who asked if I know the regs. That is a good approach. He can bring along a tape to check leader length, and this should solve the snag fest problem. Another way is to shut down places of fish trap which attract too many fishermen and the fish don't stand a chance by being snagged into the body all day. Those places should be temporarily shut down.

Baitcaster

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2008, 11:13:19 AM »

on the vedder it should be that you could only use roe and hardwear no wool or any other my smelly socks like that

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2008, 11:21:42 AM »

I just wanted to point out that when you flyfish with a floating line, you typically need 10 feet of leader to get the fly away from the line, as the fish don't come close to it.

If there was a restriction, there would have to be an exemption put in place for floating fly lines, as it is a 100% legitimate technique...

I would not want to see gear restrictions or closures, but education programs put in place, and larger fines and policing, so snaggers see it does not pay.

Why the heck is there not a dedicated CO for the Vedder during salmon season? We need one badly. Many of these problems would immediately stop with regular enforcement.

Cheers,
Nicole

coz nobody paying or nobody bother to try to get volunteers
hardware == fish

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2008, 12:21:58 PM »

Totally agree Nicole.  Not sure how it is up ther, but down here, a portion of our enforcement's budget comes from fines issued.  If they're not paid, it ='s jail time and loss of future fishing rights.  The laws are in place, it just comes down to enforcing them.  If they are, they'll pay for the extra enforcement.  When things get corrected, not as much enforcement will be needed. 

Schenley

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2008, 02:49:27 PM »

make it an "anything goes" stream-- fill your boots  ::)

Morty

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2008, 05:56:16 PM »

I voted for #2.  For a couple of years now I have favored that option.

To be effective, every one of the options listed would require more official "observation" and enforcement.  #2 is the only option that provides the revenue to do that.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

spring_killa

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2008, 06:05:39 PM »

Ya, I fully agree with Morty's statement, #2 is the only logical answer that has potential to be enforced on a greater scale.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2008, 08:26:55 PM »

Making a hatchery enhanced river into classified river?  What for?  That's a waste of hatchery funding.

Morty

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2008, 09:23:06 PM »

If the voting so far is typical of the fishers who use the Chedder - option #2 would cut down on the crowds by 85%
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2008, 09:42:03 PM »

So pretty much you want solitude when fishing, and not aiming to get people to fish the right way.

Kevgor

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2008, 11:46:18 PM »

How about a modified # 2 : Triple/Quadruple the price of the non-tidal salmon tag to $25. Make it apply to Vedder & Fraser and whatever other river you can fish salmon on. Use the money for enforcement, enhancement and education. At that price it's not likely to deter that many people, but can help pay for the much needed enforcement.
Kevgor -