Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sturgeon stamp now needed  (Read 18637 times)

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
Re: Sturgeon stamp now needed
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2008, 08:25:58 PM »

Being new to angling various BC freshwater species .... I don't understand the issue with having to pay a simple species tag fee.  ???

I feel we get quite a bang for our $$$ when angling freshwater alone. The extra few $$'s for separate species tags doesn't seem to be financially breaking on a angler.

If one were to take in 1 Canucks hockey game, the cost alone would pay for (I believe) all your angling licenses for the year. What a bargain.

I haven't had the opprotunity to angle for Sturgeon but on seeing the pics of Bend Rods behemoth in another post ... I'm having no issues with paying a fee to have one dance on the end of my line.  ;D

And from Nicole's post ... we are helping to continue this angling opprotunity.

If you only fish it is not too bad. But if you fish and hunt a lot all over the province and North America it quickly adds up. It’s not only the fees for numerous licenses, tags and stamps -That are soon so numerous that you have to carry a brief case around too-  there are other expenses too, like gas for the truck and boat. The price of which went through the roof (the highest in Canada) since that cursed no good for nothing carbon tax has been added to it. I sure hope the Conservatives will rectify that money grab.

On that note, nowhere in Canada or America are fishers asked to dig as deep in the pockets as here in good old British Columbia and it seems, given the noise we hear from our government, that is not the end of it. Gordon and his loons still want more of our money in near the future.

Two days ago I had a conversation with a CO about recruitment and other topics. He told me that the BC government has more “surprises” in store for us fishers and hunters after the general election. I sure hope Harper wins so he can put an end to Liberal money grabing. ;) I sure hate to spend my hard earned cash on the government and in turn see that money wasted on feel good projects.

Your reference to Nina's post: I might add that the "sturgeon research" did just fine before the added special licence too. It's a pure money grab and the government gets away with it by saying the magic word "research".

Because in April next year the government will be too close to the general election and there is no way the government wants to introduce a new user fee right before an election. There would be way too much negative press and the liberals already do a fine job of getting negative press

That right there is the scoop of it. Even the money sucking Liberals have figured that out. But my vote still will go to the Conservatives. ;)
Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2008, 09:19:59 PM »

The Conservatives are already in power what are you talking about? The Conservatives cant do squat about what the BC goverment does.

I think some need some cheese with their wine. The gas is too expensive, licenses are too expensive. Whine Whine Whine...Dont like it? Than move to Ontario or even another country. You think the NDP are going to make much of a difference? You think they will remove the sturgeon tag? Remove the carbon tax? Not likely. They will leave it and just blame  the Liberals for bringing it in but not do anything about it. Carole James is wishy washy and not what this province needs.

Why not try golf instead? I mean a decent round of golf is only $80 a round. Thats pretty cheap right? How about skiing or snowboarding? Thats cheap too right? NEWSFLASH nothing is cheap these days.

People wanting meat are better off buying it as its cheaper. If you like fishing for sport dont buy a salmon tag. The Freshwater Society of BC does an excellent job of stocking BC lakes. A freshwater license alone is under $40 and you can fish all the lakes you want and even retain trout if you want. Doesnt get much cheaper than that.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

limit time

• http://www.svmatch.com/allusers/4/
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2008, 10:34:04 PM »

$8 dollars? who cares, that's a bargain compared to what a freshwater license with salmon tag costs. Just buy the license and enjoy fishing. Why allow politics to interfere with the things we enjoy?

your rite, "$8 dollars? who cares"   corbon tax  "who cares"  higer gas prices "who cares'.

yamadirt 426

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 10:36:53 PM »

Sure is lots of people on here with deep pockets. ::) I'm with the minority on this one. The sturgy stamp is B.S. Pretty soon I'll need a cutty tag,rainbow tag,bullhead tag and then a pike minnow tag so they can do more research in cultus lake. i still won't vote conservative though. Where do you draw the line ? Good thing is I can fish sturgys for free all day long below the mission rail bridge. There is not enough talk about that and I don't think people realize it. It mentions it in the B.C. outdoors article but it should be in bold so people know. If you just scan through it or don't know the area very well it sounds like the whole river requires a stamp. Lots of area left to cover without the stamp.

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 03:49:48 PM »

Maybe you should google bc sturgeon and see what it comes up with.  All the research that has gone on in the past years costs money.  Maybe one day, you whiners will pull your head out of your arse and see that.  If you want this fishery to remain open, then I would suggest you pay up. 

fisherwithrod

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2008, 04:34:39 PM »

User fees, or pay-per-use fees, are reasonable in many cases, and especially for special-targeted and not-common activities, such as fishing for sturgeon.

It makes sense that people who enjoy such activities pay up a (very small, in my opinion) user fee, so that 1) the other many, many British Columbians, who never ever will take part in such activities, do not have to through their general tax dollars, and 2) there is enough financial support for research, monitoring and control of this species at risk.

I would consider supporting a pay per use fee for fishing as well, especially in heavy fished areas, such as the Vedder-Chilliwack system. I live in the lower mainland, but very far from the Ved-Chill area, and I get to go fishing for salmon maybe seven or eight times per season, that's it. Well, I am paying the same fishing license fee as everyone else, including the folks that are fortunate enough to live close by and can go salmon fishing every other day or so... Is that fair? It is a rhetorical question. I really don't mind paying the same fishing license fee, I enjoy fishing a lot and it is not much at all to pay for it...

Oh well, I guess I won't be very popular with such ideas especially among fellow 'daily' fishermen, be they bottom bouncers, flossers, or even the elite of the short floaters...

Cheers all,
guy

lowside

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2008, 05:21:36 PM »

Wow, life really sucks for some of you! Get over it, and enjoy the things that make life worth living!

$8 dollars? who cares, that's a bargain compared to what a freshwater license with salmon tag costs. Just buy the license and enjoy fishing. Why allow politics to interfere with the things we enjoy?

your rite, "$8 dollars? who cares"   corbon tax  "who cares"  higer gas prices "who cares'.