Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2008 Chilliwack River clayslide and gravel operation discussion  (Read 15637 times)

salmon river

Re: 2008 Chilliwack River clayslide and gravel operation discussion
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2008, 04:01:47 PM »

Global News report that the government anticipate a surplus of approximately $1 billion for this fiscal years. Surely they can afford a few dollars to stabilize the river.

El Gordo needs the money for the Olympics as that is all that matters to him and his comrades these days....

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2008, 07:32:29 PM »

I guess the solution for the river visibility problem would be to extend the fishing boundary to Chilliwack lake....

Just kidding!
 :D :D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2008, 06:14:17 AM »

Gosh, so many concerned about the clay slides on the Chilliwack Vedder but to date only 3 people have sent a letter to Penner,(or have posted them here) that is why politicians get away with doing what they want. It is easy to complain about things on forums like this but to try and get things corrected the MLA's need to hear from the electorate.

Thanks to Tex, fly guy and Dion in taking the time to try and make a difference.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2008, 11:43:43 AM »

I haven't received a response yet either (except an automated one right after I sent my email).
Doesn't give you a lot of faith in the system, does it?

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2008, 04:09:21 PM »

it realy wouldn't cost all that much to shotcrete those claybanks. Could probably get Lafarge to even donate the concrete. I don't know how that would effect the sourounding environment though. You can even stamp rock face into shotcrete to make it look natural

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2008, 04:53:24 PM »

it realy wouldn't cost all that much to shotcrete those claybanks. Could probably get Lafarge to even donate the concrete. I don't know how that would effect the sourounding environment though. You can even stamp rock face into shotcrete to make it look natural
The fix would have been easy if they had worked on this sooner as CRAC wanted too but no funding came through. No work can proceed without the proper engineering work and permits. I know it would nice to just go in and fix it but what I mentioned above is a must not to mention the insurance issue that has to addressed.
Once again send your concerns to Mr. Penner and ask for a response.

James

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2008, 05:04:36 PM »

This may be a stupid question . But are the clay slides a natural occurance ? or have they been cause by the gravel removal or other non natural forces ? Cause if it is natural , then just let it happen .

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2008, 03:11:09 PM »

This may be a stupid question . But are the clay slides a natural occurance ? or have they been cause by the gravel removal or other non natural forces ? Cause if it is natural , then just let it happen .
Partly natural but they are oftened opened up during high river flows. Bescause of past and present logging practices water runs off faster than it would if there was not so much clear cutting and logging right up to the river's edge that was done in some cases years ago.

Morty

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2008, 09:50:38 PM »

what about a User Pay concept?

I'd pay $100 for a yearly classified waters tag to use that beautiful river - way cheaper than green fees - (or even 1 Lions or Canucks game)

1,000 fishers at $100 gets some work done.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2008, 10:27:47 PM »

what about a User Pay concept?

I'd pay $100 for a yearly classified waters tag to use that beautiful river - way cheaper than green fees - (or even 1 Lions or Canucks game)

1,000 fishers at $100 gets some work done.
A good idea but we pay taxes to have such things looked after and the present government boasts about this 21 million dollar BC Living River's fund, is there not a better place to spend it?

t-bone

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2008, 06:58:38 AM »

Morty / Chris: I agree with the fee - it certainly would reduce the pressure on the river and get some of the hacks off it.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2008, 10:34:30 AM »

Has anyone recieved a reply back from their letter. I know I have recieved nothing. I guess I better send it again.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2008, 05:59:37 PM »

Has anyone recieved a reply back from their letter. I know I have recieved nothing. I guess I better send it again.
It may take a while as the Minister is getting married.

speycaster

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2008, 06:55:01 PM »

Maybe he should have married the people of Canada, we have been getting it without the benefit of a marriage license for years. ;D ;D

ever_hopefull

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2008, 06:57:44 PM »

It may take a while as the Minister is getting married.

But you do realize that it is the local staff person who actually writes the letter, reviewed by the Ministers political advisor, and then the Minister may sign it (or use a stamp).  Unless all the staff are invited to the wedding it should not take too much longer than ususal.