Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2008 Federal Election - Questions to be asked  (Read 24694 times)

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
Re: 2008 Federal Election - Questions to be asked
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 05:55:25 AM »

For info, here's the Liberal's Response to the SDA's questions:-

Liberal Party of Canada
81 Metcalfe Street, Suite 400
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 6M8 

September 15, 2008

Bill Otway
President 
Sportfishing Defence Alliance 
P.O. Box  326
Merritt, BC V1K 1B

Dear Mr. Otway,

Enclosed, please find the Liberal Party response to your questionnaire.

For more information on the Liberal Party of Canada’s vision for Canada, please take a moment to review our platform online at www.liberal.ca. This document provides details on Liberal goals and priorities.

On behalf of our Leader, Stéphane Dion, and the entire Liberal team, thank you for writing to identify the major concerns of your membership. We appreciate your interest in the Liberal Party’s policies as they relate to the issues which affect you.

Sincerely,
Doug Ferguson, President
Liberal Party of Canada

A Liberal Response to the Sportfishing Defence Alliance

1. What position does your party have on the Common Law Right of Canadians to participate in the fisheries?  

The Liberal Party believes in the rights of all Canadians to participate in our fisheries while respecting environmental concerns and realities.  That is why we respect provincial fishing regulations and why we will continue,  to take measures to improve and protect our rivers, lakes and oceans.

2. Over the last few years the Habitat Protection Staff (Enforcement) of Fisheries and Oceans Canada has been reduced by over 60%. What is the policy of your
party with regard to rebuilding and expanding the enforcement capability to protect our threatened fish habitat?

In the fall of 2007, the Conservatives introduced a new Fisheries Act. It, includes measures to deal with the protection of fish habitat.  The Liberal Party supports, in principle, the attempt to update the current 138 year old Fisheries Act, however the Conservative government has not conducted formal consultations with stakeholders or those affected in the industry.

The Liberal Party feels that improvements need to be made to the Fisheries Act; however a new Liberal government would ensure stakeholders are properly consulted.

3. Recently the Government of Canada voted to approve legislation bringing into and under constitutional law, a Treaty with the Tsawwassen First Nation in British Columbia. This legislation went to Parliamentary Committee for review and report back to the House before the House vote. This Parliamentary Committee refused to hear submissions from many concerned Canadians and Canadian Organizations regarding the impacts of this Treaty on the Rights of other Canadians. 

Does your party support this refusal to hear from concerned Canadians as a standard policy or will you provide for the opportunity for such Canadians to appear before Committee in the future when similar legislation is before the House?

The Tsawwassen First Nation Final Agreement finalized a tentative agreement reached by the previous Liberal government in November 2004.  The agreement settles a longstanding claim, and is Canada's first urban land-claims treaty.  The Liberal Party is pleased to see the successful conclusion of this settlement. 

However, the Liberal Party does not support the refusal to hear from concerned Canadians as standard policy.  We welcome the valuable guidance and advice from Canadians across the country on any issue.

4.  The Tsawwassen Treaty just recently adopted by the House of Commons provides for the allocation of a fixed percentage of salmon for commercial harvest to the Tsawwassen band in perpetuity. This action, of excluding forever from public access, a percentage of the public resource is an infringement on the Public Right To Fish. Such an action is illegal without accompanying “competent legislation”.

Does your party support this permanent infringement on the Public Right? Will your party bring in “competent legislation” to legalize this infringement?

The Liberal Party stands by the Constitution which recognizes fishing rights for Aboriginals.  The Supreme Court has defended this right with the Sparrow and Marshall
decisions.

5.  Canadian negotiators have just recently successfully negotiated a new agreement with the U.S. for the Canada/U.S. Pacific Salmon Treaty. The negotiated terms for this Treaty, particularly as they relate to Chinook and Coho salmon are a major step forward in aiding in the rebuilding these stocks and ensuring Canadians have a greater opportunity to reap the benefits of our own fish production. 

Upon completion of this election campaign and the return of the House of Commons to operation, will your party vote to have the currently negotiated Pacific Salmon Treaty, approved, confirmed and adopted by the government of Canada?

The Pacific Salmon Treaty was signed in 1985.  Since then, former Liberal governments have been instrumental in the negotiations to renew it.  Protecting and rebuilding our salmon stocks is very important and the Liberal Party supports discussing the latest negotiations of the Pacific Salmon Treaty.

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 07:37:25 AM »

I guess they didn't have the know how to correctly respond to this mail...

It does not suprise me, you really don't know the fine details of what you are getting when you vote conservative...

They are pro resource extraction, and anti environment... Their absence of an environmental plan should speak volumes about how much they care about salmon.

And with no salmon, there is no need to talk about treaties, or fishing management plans...

Cheers,
Nicole

The conservatives have done more for the fishers, hunters and the rights of gun owners than any other party in this country. What the conservatives don’t do, and quite rightly so, is to buy into the hype of global warming. Global warming is 90% fiction, a new money making spin of the liberals and recycled hippies.

The achievements in crime prevention and how courts should deal with criminals has been addressed by the conservatives and so has the drug problem and how to deal with it. The conservatives have had an uphill struggle to get commonsense laws passed as a minority government. You can’t blame the Conservatives when it is the liberals and that cursed NDP with the greens that use every opportunity to throw rocks in the way.

If Liberals, NDP and greens would have it their way we the taxpayers would have to spend a lot of money on the Global warming hype, drug addicts (one million dollar for a new free injection site in Vancouver), criminals and other politically correct feel good nonsense. Just look at BC and Ontario what the Liberals did, we pay more taxes and get nothing in return other than more criminals, more drug addicts, less gun rights, less hunting and fishing rights and bigger bloated government.

My vote goes to Harper as it did the first time and will continue to be a conservative vote as it has been all my life. Just never could warm up to hippies and their politically correct fussy feel good bleeding heart policies that protects all the wrong people and hands out money left, right and center.  You see what happened in Switzerland, once a staunchly and proud conservative nation has turned liberal and is now just like the rest of the European countries.
Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 09:26:11 AM »

The conservatives have done more for the fishers

What I'd like to see you do is prove that statement with some cited sources...

I don't care about hunters... Fishers specifically.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

salmon river

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 09:39:11 AM »

I doubt there are sources as cons like to throw out unsubstantiated info like that all over the internet.

The only thing Harper wants is to make us more like the US...

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 09:46:52 AM »

Yep, more like the US, so that Canada can eventually join this:

http://www.spp.gov/

And give up our Canadian dollar for the Amero...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hiPrsc9g98

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 11:08:38 AM »

Huntwriter, Bill C-45 was tabled late November by conservative MP Loyola Hearn, which hacks apart the rights of sports fishers...

This Bill was discussed in great deal here:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=13737.0

What I am looking for from you is not campaign rhetoric, but documented proof that the Consesrvatives have done good for anglers during their previous term...

Cheers,
Nicole

-Garrett Hardin

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 11:41:15 AM »

What the conservatives don’t do, and quite rightly so, is to buy into the hype of global warming. Global warming is 90% fiction, a new money making spin of the liberals and recycled hippies.

I guess glacial melting, increase drought, rain, wind must all be fiction, a new money making scheme by world scientists ?

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »

What the conservatives don’t do, and quite rightly so, is to buy into the hype of global warming. Global warming is 90% fiction, a new money making spin of the liberals and recycled hippies.

I guess glacial melting, increase drought, rain, wind must all be fiction, a new money making scheme by world scientists ?

There will always be nah-sayers. How long did it take people to believe the world was round? Or that it wasn't the centre of the universe?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 01:07:02 PM »

There are still people around that think the earth is flat

http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublonskopf/Flatearthsociety.htm

fyrslyer

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 01:54:47 PM »

Agreed 100% great tax grab

huntwriter

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 03:21:28 PM »

The conservatives have done more for the fishers

What I'd like to see you do is prove that statement with some cited sources...

I don't care about hunters... Fishers specifically.

Cheers,
Nicole

The Conservatives have signed a law that will make hunting and fishing a heritage. This is not Europe, we cannot separate fishing and hunting in two different camps. Yuo should care about hunters because we all sit in the dsame boat. It’s all under the Outdoor Heritage Act. With that Harper has opened the doors to introduce other legislation that is urgently needed is we want to retain hunter/fisher numbers and recruit more people into our ranks. This act also means that in the coming years more resources and access will be made available.

The act also means that we now have a real tool in the hands to shut up the animal rights activists. In addition it wont be that easy for provincial governments to sell prime hunting and fishing areas to so called environmental groups that then turn around and close the area to all hunting and fishing, as it has happened under the Liberals.

Once the Conservatives win the majority, and they will this time, we will see a lot more positives changes for outdoor enthusiasts, in the justice system, the professionally unemployed, drug abuse and many other policies that the Liberals have wasted billions of taxpayer money on.

What I write is not political rhetoric. All one has to do is what the Liberals, the NDP and the Conservatives do and say during this election. We see Layton and that French guy from the Liberals bashing 24/7 and we see the Conservatives actually talking about an agenda and real plans. 

You see, we as Canadians and humans have rights that are in my opinion untouchable. We have the right to fish and the right to hunt. Liberals made it a privilege. We have a right to own firearm and we have the right to defend our property, family and welfare if necessary with deadly force. The Conservatives agree on all this points and to me that is a big plus to vote for them.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 03:23:21 PM by huntwriter »

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 03:49:03 PM »

I wanted to discuss fishing because this is a fishing forum, that is all...

Nothing against hunters. As a matter of fact, I was hunting on Saturday :)

I just want to focus the debate a little, becuase gun law debates could derail the discussion in a big way.

Could you point me to what the name of the bill was for the Outdoor Heritage Act?

I can't seem to find it, parliament has archives online of all debate items.

http://www2.parl.gc.ca/housechamberbusiness/ChamberPublicationIndexSearch.aspx?retStartIndex=1&view=S&Terms=&retDateFrom=&retDateTo=&retSourceDebates=True&retSourceCommitteeEvidence=False&retCommitteeAcronymList=&ALTID=&TermPath=&ClassSubject=False&ClassPerson=False&ClassOrganization=False&ClassConstituency=False&retParliament=Parl0Ses0&retKeyword=+Outdoor+Heritage+Act&retSortBy=Publication&retMaxResults=10&retBooleanSearch=False&Language=E&Mode=1#TopSearch

Here is a link to all bills:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/LEGISINFO/index.asp?Language=E

I'd like to read the details for myself...

How do you explain then the rewriting of the fisheries act? It did the exact opposite of what you're saying... And the cons were responsible.

Cheers,
Nicole
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 03:57:56 PM by Nicole »

-Garrett Hardin

huntwriter

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 03:50:40 PM »

There will always be nah-sayers. How long did it take people to believe the world was round? Or that it wasn't the centre of the universe?

I am not a naysayer but I am old enough and around the block for a few times before you were born. In other words When I look at problems I use commonsense. Just because a few people with fancy titles paid by special interest groups such as David Suzuki, to mention one chain rattler, say that black is white does not mean it has value. What makes me suspicious is that these hype managers furiously will silence every other scientist that cautions to moderation.

Indeed if you are at all familiar with how our planet was created you probably will know that for the past millions of years this planet underwent drastic and less drastic climate changes. There where time where existing life forms and plants have been completely wiped out. The Sahara desert was ones a green landscape. The polar caps have in the past almost completely melted down and then grown back to gigantic proportions covering almost half of the earth.

All this happened without any influence of humans. It is no different now. The influence we do have is miniscule. The world will keep on changing and with it will the climates and the living things. Its called EVOLUTION, and endless cycle that will never stop as long as this planet will exist.

There was a time in jolly old Europe where it was believed that all red haired women are witches and to make the world a better place they rounded them all up and burned them on the stake. Global warming money grab rhetoric pretty is the same. A witch hunt and let’s make lots of money from the people after we scared the crap out of them. If you don’t believe me then perhaps you can tell me exactly what our corrupt BC government does with the money they steal from us through the carbon tax. Don’t bother to find out! I will tell you. Not a penny of that money will go toward any environmental programs. The premier said so himself, that this is just anther form of tax and not a special purpose tax that needs to be spent on environmental issues.

Let me give you young folks some well-meant advice. Learn to read between the lines and take everything “experts” say with a pinch of salt. You will be way ahead of the game. 

huntwriter

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 04:02:29 PM »

Could you point me to what the name of the bill was for the Outdoor Heritage Act?

I can't seem to find it, parliament has archives online of all tabled bills.

http://www2.parl.gc.ca/housechamberbusiness/ChamberPublicationIndexSearch.aspx?retStartIndex=1&view=S&Terms=&retDateFrom=&retDateTo=&retSourceDebates=True&retSourceCommitteeEvidence=False&retCommitteeAcronymList=&ALTID=&TermPath=&ClassSubject=False&ClassPerson=False&ClassOrganization=False&ClassConstituency=False&retParliament=Parl0Ses0&retKeyword=+Outdoor+Heritage+Act&retSortBy=Publication&retMaxResults=10&retBooleanSearch=False&Language=E&Mode=1#TopSearch

I'd like to read the details for myself...

How do you explain then the rewriting of the fisheries act? It did the exact opposite of what you're saying... And the cons were responsible.

Cheers,
Nicole

I’ll fid it for you. I have it somewhere in my files. Right now I am busy meeting editorial deadlines and study for a few hunting seminars coming up this weekend. Give me a day or two and I will have my breath back. At the rate Liberals keep stealing our money we soon will have to work 24/7 to have some left in our pockets. (lol)

limit time

• http://www.svmatch.com/allusers/4/
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 09:29:11 PM »

the three f's   1- fishing
                      2- firearms
                      3-freedom

HARPER all the way!