Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1488012 times)

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #3615 on: June 28, 2024, 01:58:35 PM »

A good article from the Union of BC Indian Chiefs: https://www.ubcic.bc.ca/fish_farms_zero_tolerance

It's an old article (1998) but it outlines the issues clearly:

Fish Farms Pose Serious Danger To All Marine Life

Disease
Farmed salmon are fed antibiotics to fight naturally occurring diseases. The antibiotics cause diseases to mutate and these mutant strains are released into the oceans exposing wild stocks. Viral, fungal and bacterial infections have been passed to wild stock as a result of fish farms. Shellfish have been found with concentrations of antibiotics.

Antibiotics increase the likelihood that certain diseases will mutate and become resistant and can accumulate in the food chain.

Pollution
A fish farm is equivalent to having an untreated sewage facility on our shores. Pollution and effluent flow freely from fish pens and cause most resident species of fish and marine life to disappear from the area.
Predation on young stock
Young herring and salmon are drawn to fish pens because of the lights which they shine at night. These young herring and salmon are eaten by farmed fish. In some instances, farmed fish eat so many of the young wild stock that they have little need of additional food.

Algae
Effluent from fish farms provides ideal conditions for algae to grow. Algae can kill wild stocks either by poisoning them (through production of toxins, etc.,) or through the oxygen deprivation they cause. In addition, shell fish are vulnerable to the toxins produced by excessive growth of algae. Toxins from algae can contaminate shellfish making them unsafe to eat.

Drugs and Chemicals
In addition to antibiotics, fish farms introduce a variety of other chemicals into the water. These chemicals poison the water and build up in the food supply. The drugs and chemicals include colourants (to make the flesh of farmed salmon red) and fungicides. These chemicals escape into the surrounding waters, potentially poisoning resident marine life, and eventually poisoning our Peoples.

Colonization
Farmed salmon which escape from their pens pose significant risks to wild stocks. The dangers include

Competition for food and spawning areas. Farmed salmon can displace and force wild salmon and other fish from their traditional grounds and waters.

Farmed salmon can migrate with wild stocks to inland spawning areas. In British Columbia, Atlantic salmon have been found 100 miles up the Skeena River, over 250 miles from the nearest fish farm. On Vancouver Island, Atlantic salmon have been found in the Zeballos and Thasis rivers. Bearing in mind that one spawning Atlantic salmon can produce in excess of 4000 eggs, the dangers are great that Atlantic salmon can displace our own wild salmon stocks.

Displacement of Herring, Oolichan, and Rock Cod
Fish farms located near herring spawning grounds or the traditional habitat of oolichan and rock cod have caused these species to abandon their traditional areas.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #3616 on: June 28, 2024, 04:47:54 PM »

A good article from the Union of BC Indian Chiefs: https://www.ubcic.bc.ca/fish_farms_zero_tolerance

It's an old article (1998) but it outlines the issues clearly:
Thanks Easywater. The same issues have been repeated for 26 years now with no proven outcome. Back when I was against salmon farming the biggest worry in the news was Atlantic salmon taking over spawning grounds and a presumption of inter-breeding. We know the latter is impossible now and taking over spawning grounds has never happened. Lets remember that since from about 1913 to into the 80's over 12 million Atlantic salmon were released for the purpose of sportfishing Atlantic runs. Nothing came from that or from escaped farm Atlantics. There is however to my knowledge pretty good Chinook salmon sport fishing on the east coast where Chinook salmon were released. 
   The question still is, where has salmon farming been detrimental to Pacific salmon?
Perhaps this is the reason salmon farming was granted a five year extension. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2024, 04:49:52 PM by Fisherbob »

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #3617 on: June 28, 2024, 05:07:41 PM »

Thank you Easywater. I stand corrected. Spelling has never been my strong suite.
To be fair, I didn't realize "supposably" was at word at all. I was just being sarcastic but I learned something instead ::)

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3619 on: July 17, 2024, 08:00:36 PM »

You’re back! :)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #3620 on: July 18, 2024, 02:18:49 PM »

85% are against salmon farming, also 85% of them eating farmed salmon in sushi bars and restaurants.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3621 on: July 18, 2024, 03:10:04 PM »

Did you know that farmed Atlantic salmon are "exempt" from the freezing requirement for sushi grade fish.

All seawater raised fish (farmed and wild) can contain roundworm.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #3622 on: July 18, 2024, 05:52:17 PM »

Did you know that farmed Atlantic salmon are "exempt" from the freezing requirement for sushi grade fish.

All seawater raised fish (farmed and wild) can contain roundworm.

The chance of parasites is lower for farmed salmon, which is why it's treated differently. Kind of like saying, "All cheese can contain salmonella" when you're debating between raw milk cheese or cheese made from pasteurized milk. It's an apples to oranges comparison.

Or, a more extreme and ridiculous example, "Driving can cause death, whether the driver is sober or drunk." ::) That said, I prefer my sashimi wild & previously frozen.