Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "There are safer places to get gravel"  (Read 121734 times)

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: "There are safer places to get gravel"
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2008, 07:52:38 PM »

Sounds like they better dredge out these governmental buildings.  It looks like they're full of A$$ H07e$ that are shoveling the public a bunch of S#!7

The lower Columbia river is dredged, but only to keep open shipping lanes.  Even doing this is a huge environmental travesty and the USACE admits it, but at least they don't try to fill us up with a bunch of hooey.   

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2008, 05:19:45 PM »

Another article in The Vancouver Sun today, by Scott Simpson "Gravel mining on the Fraser River called threat to fish"

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2008, 05:31:33 PM »

Was talking to a person that lives on the north Allouette and he was telling me that they want the government to dredge parts of the north Allouette for flood control all because of a freak rain storm last year that was a one in a 100 year storm. Even I got flooded from it and I am down the road from the south Allouette which no one wants dredged. I sure hope the government does not go through with it.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2008, 04:11:41 PM »

Another article in today's Vancouver Province on this subject.

Also note, the building of bridges and a causeway to access the Spring Bar site is starting tomorrow. A tug and barge was sighted Friday heading to the site. :'(

Environmental groups will be monitoring the area starting Tuesday as best they can to attempt to prevent what happened in 2006, on Big Bar. It was at this site where millions of alviens were lost because of a dewatering problem due to the of the construction of a causeway that blocked off a side channel of the Fraser River.

gman

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2008, 08:22:02 PM »

Also note, the building of bridges and a causeway to access the Spring Bar site is starting tomorrow. A tug and barge was sighted Friday heading to the site. :'(

Does anyone know the details of the spring bar gravel removal? Will the gravel be removed from the side channel that has water in the spring and dries out in the summer? Spring bar is a very popular fishing  location, mostly for bottom bouncing over the past few years. I wonder if that will change now.

The gravel removal that took place on the lower end of spring bar a few yars ago took away some fine boat access and long walk in access fishing spots.  You could bottom bounce some parts, and bar fish a very long stretch (a km or so). Not much left of that area now.  :(

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2008, 10:02:23 PM »

The group that met on Saturday have most of the details of what is going on with the gravel removal plan and some are going to the site starting this week to monitor the goings on and will be during the duration.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2008, 10:32:30 PM »

I cant believe they are getting away with this. >:(

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2008, 07:20:36 PM »

Anyone that would like to help monitor the work that is going on with this project please phone Frank for details at 604-792-8083. Free boat trips on the Fraser included. ;D ;D

Right now they are desperate for some help.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2008, 10:11:32 PM »

I'll be in Alberta till Monday morning but if there is something to do when I get back. I will be happy to monitor and take the camera along.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2008, 08:40:14 AM »

I'll be in Alberta till Monday morning but if there is something to do when I get back. I will be happy to monitor and take the camera along.
I am sure there will be, give Frank a call as he is coordinating the dates, boat, volunteers etc.

Thanks for lending a hand.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2008, 09:10:45 AM »

People should consider helping and supporting these few dedicated individuals like Chris who continue to put pressure on the expansion of what many of us consider as criminal activities.

Here are some photos from February/March 2006 to remind all what happened when these operations go unchecked. The story...

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2008, 12:23:02 PM »

I'm sure all machinery will be de-greased and use vegetable oil for hydraulic fluid and all re-fueling will be done at least 300' from water.  Maybe I'm dreaming.  This is standard practice for in or around water work in many places that actually care about the environment.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2008, 01:05:40 PM »

Grease float on surface.  In this case where water current's present it won't be a big issue.  But like 2 years ago.  Draining side channel would be a BIG problem.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2008, 05:49:19 PM »

I beg to differ.  Petroleum products in the water are bad, regardless if they're on the surface or not or if there's a current or not. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2008, 06:12:23 PM »

More articles today in the Chilliwack Progress and Chilliwack Times, check their web pages for the articles.