Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish Finders  (Read 1458 times)

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
Fish Finders
« on: November 19, 2007, 12:27:15 AM »

Hi everyone - so it looks like I might have found a little car topper after a brief emergency with the otherone I had (long story involving wind storm).

My question is this.....are there any completely portable fish finders (transponder as well)? Where I can remove the entire thing?

Can you mount a fish finder to a small aluminium boat (12 feet) - if so where?

thank you
Vince
You don't make friends with salad.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Fish Finders
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 07:24:34 AM »

Put it off the back end. Just look over the back when your going a good clip to see where most of the turbulence is and put it to the side of that. I made my transducer holder to clamp on the back at the top of the boat. Then drop the transducer down so it's in the water a couple inches. Adjust the angle of the transducer according to your instructions. On lakes I scout around looking for schools of fish so having the fish finder being able to read at higher speed. Which may mean you have to fiddle with the depth of the transducer and the settings on the finder. I even use it off the skeg of my kayak. You can semipermanently put it on the back too.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

mastercaster

• Old Timer
Re: Fish Finders
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 05:23:28 PM »

Hi everyone - so it looks like I might have found a little car topper after a brief emergency with the otherone I had (long story involving wind storm).

My question is this.....are there any completely portable fish finders (transponder as well)? Where I can remove the entire thing?

The best portable I've found is a dual cone Humminbird Piranah max 15 or 20.....I use mine on two different cartoppers that I've got stashed at different lakes plus on my boat where my cabin is.  The transducer works with a plunger-like end that sticks to any flat surface (usually the transom) and the monitor just sits on the seat of your boat.  They pack up very neatly with a little handle to carry by. Check them out by googling the Fish Finder Store.