Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunting success....  (Read 19447 times)

allwaysfishin

Re: Hunting success....
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2007, 02:35:06 PM »

region 2  ;D .... less then 3 hours from home  8)

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 12:11:38 AM »

thomas nice goatie!  :o never seen u with a beard like that before. Good meat bucks, way to go. I'm leaving tomorrow at 2 in the afternoon. (later on today, seeing its 12 in the morning) cant wait!
Fish killer 101

allwaysfishin

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2007, 10:54:43 PM »

hehe younggun... thats only 10 days no shaving hehehe and some dirt from the bush mixed in. All cleaned up now.... wife just pointed to the shower and shaver 5 mins after i was in the door hehehe

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 11:38:13 AM »

I just got home from a week of moose hunting up in Price George way... with 8 guys, 7 days of hunting, we saw 6 bulls and maybe 10 cows & calfs and we took down 4 big bulls. overall, its a good meat hunt, but its not really hunting... You basically, spot and kill, you don't interact with the animal like in other area that we hunted in. i don't think i would put the draw in that area again... To the end, lots of fun in with the buddies, lots of drinking and laughs. Can't wait for the mulie hunt in couple of weeks.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2007, 06:56:02 PM »

we did awsome is all i'm gonna say, had a blast! Goin back in november for the whitetails.
Fish killer 101

4StarGeneral

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2007, 10:42:02 PM »

U gutt shot it.  What you use a 375H&H mag for a hole that size?

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2007, 04:21:13 PM »

1) thats the exit hole
2) he was angled towards me so i hit him in the shoulder and it came out there
3) i was using my 300 weatherby
4) i was shooting 180 grain Barnes X bullets

Happy?
Fish killer 101

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2007, 08:57:18 PM »

300 weatherby mag is lots of gun... And expensive to shoot too.. last time i check is like $100/box....

4StarGeneral

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2007, 10:30:12 PM »

Over kill on Mule deer ::)

270, 308 30-06 all good deer rounds!

Mags are for the big game Moose, Elk& bear!

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2007, 11:08:42 PM »

I cant afford another gun seeing as i only work in the summer, i got my 300 with all the money i've made, no spending money. and seeing as its an ultra light weatherby it cost $2000 with all the taxes. I got my fathers leupold because he switched to zeiss last year. A box of bullets for the gun is $98! I know its a little over kill but i have that or my 22. plinker rim fire. And when it hits the animal i know its gonna anchor him. It kills fast, and without pain, i'd rather save the animal all the suffering by wrecking a few pounds of meat. Its alot of gun for deer and small game, but it is a perfect all around gun for the hunting i do.
Fish killer 101

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 09:38:56 AM »

Don't worry Younggun, animal down is an animal down dosen't matter what you shoot it with.  It is not like fishing that lighter line for more charllenge. The charllenge on hunting is to find the animal and to stock them...  Just a helpful tips for you... If you going for some little meat buck next time, instead of shooting at the boiler room, go for head shot... you will save more meat and they will drop him at the spot.   

4StarGeneral

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 04:11:51 PM »

I would not tell someone to do a head shot, most people arent that good to do head shots.

I myself with all the years in the Armed Forces I might but everything would have to be just right to do a head shot!

I have seen deer Moose Elk dead in the bush's around NA from missing the lower jaws as they starve to death.  Unable to eat!

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 10:05:55 PM »

Thats true 4 star, i do not shoot elk or moose with a head shot for that reason, i go for the boiler room.. But for a small deer like that one on the pic, you can sure do a head shot, speically he is shooting a 300 Weatherby Mag....and based on the factory load, 180gr barnes-X  at 100 yard, it produced a 3586 pounds of pressure per squar foot.  and when that bullet hit the head, if it dosen't kill with expension of the bullet to the vital.. The engery is enough to snap the neck during the impack to the head or even the shock is enough to put the animal down.. i know its not the ethoical way of hunting.. but sometimes, do what you have to do.....

allwaysfishin

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2007, 12:20:51 AM »

well
me and my son headed up to my favorite blacktail spot on tuesday night. Sittin on my rock by 5:00a.m. in the pitch black..... 13 does between first light and noonish.... hiked back out... quick lunch... hiked back in......11 more does and one unknown bwtween 3:30 and sun down.... no bucks.
   This morning.... dragged my butt outta bed at 4:30 made the hour hike up the bluffs to my rock, sittin there in the dark... the deer were moving already. I had deer moving by within yards.... thank god for scent lock suits  ;D..... my cover was not blown. As daylight crept up and legal shooting light  began.... more does... coming through in groups... first 5.... then 7.... the the odd single.... 17 does and fawns by 10 :00 a.m.   .... the annual migration to winter grounds was is on big time.
At approx 5 minutes after i looked at the watch at 10:00.... there he was.... moving... not stopping for anything as he silently manouvered through the thick cover. I could see the antlers just over the brush.. with fleeting glimpses of his body.... i don't have a shot.... oh, wait there's a break in the cover.... lead him i thought..... aiming a foot in front and swinging the barrel at the same speed as the deer..... I waited for that break in the cover and...... squeezing the trigger of my 1911 303 british mk3.... sending 180gr of red hot nosler partition on it's way..... the shot was good.... the deer went down mid step.... then got up and ran down hill about 30 yards... collapsing in a heap. Upon inspection, double lung shot... right on the money.
here is my 2nd buck of this season from my region 2 lucky rock. Initial shot at 40 yards on a running deer. And yes younggun.... I had a shave before this trip hehehe. pics are me and my son and some pics of the deer. A hefty 4x4 ( with one brow tine) blacktail

« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 12:23:05 AM by allwaysfishin »

4StarGeneral

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2007, 03:48:51 PM »

Nice Blacktail 4 point you got there ;D