Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This is what i heard about the Sockeye ......  (Read 20494 times)

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
Re: This is what i heard about the Sockeye ......
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2007, 11:07:48 AM »

Closed containment seems to be the answer, I hope for some sort of expedience on behalf of government in the matter...

Cheers,
Nicole

Do not expect it from the Province as they are in bed with the Fish Farmers.

DFO is working on this..
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 12:23:32 PM by Old Black Dog »

Schenley

« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2007, 11:14:12 AM »

Mr Dog-- and you dont think DFO is in bed with the fish farm industry?????????????   :o :o :o :o :o

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2007, 11:28:36 AM »

Do not expect it from the Provimce as they are in bed with the Fish Farmers.

DFO is working on this..

yep, Stan Hagen should have never been in charge of fisheries... Read the dirty laundry here:

http://www.cbc.ca/disclosure/archives/030204_salmon/politics.html

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2007, 01:34:33 PM »

Nicole is right on the money, closed containment.
It's an issue of money and profits.
They have to spend money building pools for closed containment farming and the way they are doing it costs them very little in infrastructure.
So my dear "forumers" remember this next time you vote both federally and provincially!

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2007, 04:36:12 PM »

I've talked to many an angler recently, and the common thought is that sockeye will become pretty much extinct in our lifetimes...

Quite the legacy for people's children...

:(
Nicole

Just add it to the list

extinct or endangered:

# African Wild Asss

hahahah wild asses
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2007, 12:24:14 AM »

I flogged the fish farm thing in my newspaper column for a whole year and squat happened! Well not exactly I have it from an inside informant that my name is well known to Fisheries and DFO personal. Has it stopped the lice problem? No! Did the Hida declaring war on the fish farms in the their teritory and destroying a site in Ocean Falls stop the lice problem? No! It got them in the newspapers for a week. Did Rafe leveling his guns at the fish farmers for 4 years make any difference? No! It got him fired fro CKNW.

So now we have had a crash in:

Pink Salmon in the North Coast.
Chum Salmon in the North Coast.
Stealhead In the Thompson.
and now Fraser River Sockeye.

Elsewhere crashes in:

Sea Trout in Ireland & Scotland
Food fish in South America (food for farm fish)

Did you know it take 3 pounds of food fish to produce 1 pound of farmed Atlantic Salmon?
No. Read a copy of "Fat Cats & Dead Fish"!

Fish Farms are the not the answer. If you think they are I challenge you to go fishing Searun Cutthroat. If you can find one!!! count the sea lice!
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

allwaysfishin

« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2007, 01:03:16 AM »

keep a close eye on the Gold River fisheries as well. Me thinks DFO has written it off. Not sure how many of you from this site get over to Nootka Sound but Muchalat Inlet, From Hanna Channel right on up muchalat to the Gold is being dotted with net pen fish farms. This started 4 years ago and it makes me sick. You can't blame Luna the whale for killing off the stocks anymore, he's long dead now..... but our provincial government will take over and continue to contribute to the decline of sensitive stocks in the marine approach to the Gold. ALL THE FRY from the Gold and other smaller salmon bearing streams on the Muchalat inlet now have to run a guantlet, for miles to get past those net pens. NEVER VOTE LIBERAL AGAIN IF YOU LOVE THIS COUNTRY that's all I gotta say.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2007, 01:08:13 AM »

NEVER VOTE LIBERAL AGAIN IF YOU LOVE THIS COUNTRY that's all I gotta say.

You really think another political party is going to make a difference ? We've got the Conservatives for a couple of years now and what have they done to improve the fishery ?

allwaysfishin

« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2007, 01:23:00 AM »

cuz ever since i was old enough to understand politics.... the liberals have done nothing but sell this country out to special interest and big business. There was a poll recently..... who was the worst canadian to date.... the answer by a staggering lead , pierre elliot trudeau.... and his legacy of selling out canadians still resides in B.C. politics in the form of one Mr.... i was convicted of drunk driving Campbell. I don't think the conservatives have had long enough in office , nor the seats required to make a big difference in fixing all the damage done by years of Liberal rule. I'm a hard line anti liberal and believe that allowing these liberals to stay in office through another election will be suicide for our province's fisheries...... the future will tell

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2007, 02:24:53 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fDaDumu9vM (the sea lion story, fish farm related. Warning: graphic images)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e6s4CLLkA0 (interesting discovery on the relationship between stickleback, salmon and sea lice)

For more, subscribe to Twyla's channel on YouTube for weekly documentaries on West Coast's environmental issues.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TwylaJean

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2007, 03:11:54 AM »

I'm a hard line anti liberal and believe that allowing these liberals to stay in office through another election will be suicide for our province's fisheries...... the future will tell

That says it all. Both the Conservatives and Liberals were in power when the Atlantic cod fishery were in decline and both chose not to do anything about it til it was much too late.

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2007, 04:53:02 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e6s4CLLkA0 (interesting discovery on the relationship between stickleback, salmon and sea lice)

For more, subscribe to Twyla's channel on YouTube for weekly documentaries on West Coast's environmental issues.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TwylaJean

Wow, very interesting videos and very well made!

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2007, 01:18:27 AM »

Well it's good to see that some people are opening their eyes to the realities of the fish farm cover up. Do I  think it will do any good? No! Do I think it will change if we all scream loud enough? No! Do I think it will make a difference if we threaten our MLA's with the loss of our votes? Maybe. One thing I do know works is exposer in the press. I have it from one of my inside informants that letters of protest are tossed in the trash as fast as they come in while bad press gets noticed.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

speycaster

« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2007, 09:17:18 AM »

Hey Nicole if you want to start on the human population i can help as i have some experience from the congo and laos in the early sixties. Probably have not forgot much but the body is a lot older. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 09:19:38 AM by speycaster »

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2007, 03:32:30 PM »

i have some experience from the congo and laos in the early sixties.
Mental Note - don't piss off Speycaster in a bar, or cross him in a dark alley  :o