Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The newly proposed fisheries act (Bill C-45)  (Read 9261 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
The newly proposed fisheries act (Bill C-45)
« on: February 12, 2007, 09:33:40 PM »

The following links are documents provided by the Sportfishing Defence Alliance on Bill C-45.

Some Thoughts and Comments on Bill C-45

Kamp Tries to Muddy the Waters on Bill C-45

Otto Langer's letter to Minister Hearn on Bill C-45

Chris will be able to add comments on this better as I have not gone through all the documents yet.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
Re: The newly proposed fisheries act (Bill C-45)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 12:20:25 AM »

backgrounder:

The new Fisheries Act, Bill C-45, introduced today by Fisheries Minister Hearn looks much like the Bills introduced by his Liberal predecessors. Bill C-45 would enable fisheries bureaucrats to enter into fisheries management agreements with aboriginals, large fishing organizations and corporations without seeking the consent of Parliament.

This new Bill may well allow the department to create aboriginal race-based fisheries and eliminate the public right to fish which has guaranteed public access to the fishery since the signing of the Magna Carta 800 years ago.

The current Fisheries Act is nearly as old as Canada and has served the fishery and fishermen well. Problems in the management of Fraser River sockeye and the Newfoundland cod fishery have had more to do with incompetent managers and political interference than any problems inherent in the Fisheries Act.

The current Fisheries Act allows for the management of the fishery in a manner consistent with the public right to fish. It is colour-blind and treats all fishermen and all Canadians equally. “Bill C-45 would appear to extinguish the public right to fish and allow the Minister to permit race-based fisheries,” said Cummins.

This Bill seems designed to dovetail with the three recently signed aboriginal treaties in British Columbia which continue the race-based fisheries regime of the previous government.
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

eddy

• Sea Lice? What Sea Lice?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 07:48:59 AM »

Thanks for the links Rodney and the quick thumbnail interpretation Nicole.
You are right on, Nicole! When a politician (read the "PM") says that his party will not allow raced based fishery, look for exactly that. It's an old trick magicians have used for centuries. Deny, deny, deny, but do exactly what you are denying.
Another dangerous promotion by a local MP is the proposal to have a linear park on both sides of the Fraser up to Boston Bar. It would be interesting to hear what the members here think of this proposal. My take is that there would probably be access fees to fishing bars and a lot of restrictions on what you may or may not do within these linear parks.
What do you think?

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 08:03:52 AM »

I wonder how many of these politicians fish.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 08:15:22 AM »

So what can we do?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 10:30:11 AM »

So what can we do?
The usual writing campaign along with phone calls to your MP. As well the SDA is you can see by Bill Otway's letters is very involved and are taking a major lead in this so donation can help of course. As well if you can, anyone can help by donating prizes and buy a ticket to attend the SDA dinner/fundraiser in March, here in Chilliwack.

Keep reading the information Rodney is posting on the SDA web page as well as the forum so you can abreast of the numerous issues facing the recreational angler.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 11:25:02 AM »

So what can we do?
The usual writing campaign along with phone calls to your MP. As well the SDA is you can see by Bill Otway's letters is very involved and are taking a major lead in this so donation can help of course. As well if you can, anyone can help by donating prizes and buy a ticket to attend the SDA dinner/fundraiser in March, here in Chilliwack.

Keep reading the information Rodney is posting on the SDA web page as well as the forum so you can abreast of the numerous issues facing the recreational angler.

The problem I see at this point is that the authorities are going down the road of appeasement as opposed to incrementally dealing with the problem through due process and consultation.

Loyola Hearn and the guys back East are truly oblivious to what's really going on.

How oblivious? Just to give you an idea, the CBC recently aired a 1 hour program where they were discussing the effects of bottom dragging, and the issue on a world scale by nations which fish aggressively. Despite overwhelming evidence to suggest a moratorium on bottom dragging in international waters,  and Canada which should have been a signatory, was not as it would have meant that Canada would have to make adjustments to the fishery within it's own international boundaries.

When the journalist and scientists asked Loyola to justify his departments and his decision, he basically went to far as to say that the scientists didn't know what they were talking about, and then drew a parallel between the cod fishery on the east coast and the dragging on the west coast.

The problem is that the DFO is looking to avoid conflict and their policy of appeasement is one way to "not rock the boat" due to the fragility of his government. Well...history the world over is filled with these lessons of appeasement and decisions such as this.

In my opinion, the original drafters of this bill should be fired, and the bill and actions of the department does not support the interests of Canadians. Nobody voted for this bill.

If anything, you need to get ahold of the Liberals on this issue to confront Loyola on the issue during Question Period in the House of Commons.
This is what needs to be done. Write all the letters until you're blue in the face about this issue, unfortunately it's not going to get them to ditch the bill.

I've tried to deal with Loyola Hearn, and on every issue I've written to him about, he doesn't hear me, let alone correspond with me---how can you tell he's a conservative pork barrelling politician?

I give up and I'm through with eastern appointed Fisheries Ministers. The best fisheries minister I can remember in recent years was Brian Tobin--now there was a guy that could listen and take information and do something with it.

Unfortunately, due to the size of the DFO now, it's all politically motivated as opposed to conservation and resource motivated.

SHAME!  >:(
"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 11:30:24 AM »

They the Politicians do not think that "YOU" the angler are wise enough to understand what they  are doing to you.

"YOU" must contact any or all MP's and tell them that you do not accept them taking away your rights.
If they pass this change, you will see dramatic changes in how the fishery is run and that you no longer have any rights.

As an example, if this act passes they DFO could if they wanted to close the Fraser River to Salmon fishing to all but the members of a group.
They could pick the group and if you wanted to fish, you would have to join this group if they would let you.
Think not, well think again as this proposed act allows them to do this.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 11:30:41 AM »

backgrounder:

The new Fisheries Act, Bill C-45, introduced today by Fisheries Minister Hearn looks much like the Bills introduced by his Liberal predecessors. Bill C-45 would enable fisheries bureaucrats to enter into fisheries management agreements with aboriginals, large fishing organizations and corporations without seeking the consent of Parliament.

This new Bill may well allow the department to create aboriginal race-based fisheries and eliminate the public right to fish which has guaranteed public access to the fishery since the signing of the Magna Carta 800 years ago.

The current Fisheries Act is nearly as old as Canada and has served the fishery and fishermen well. Problems in the management of Fraser River sockeye and the Newfoundland cod fishery have had more to do with incompetent managers and political interference than any problems inherent in the Fisheries Act.

The current Fisheries Act allows for the management of the fishery in a manner consistent with the public right to fish. It is colour-blind and treats all fishermen and all Canadians equally. “Bill C-45 would appear to extinguish the public right to fish and allow the Minister to permit race-based fisheries,” said Cummins.

This Bill seems designed to dovetail with the three recently signed aboriginal treaties in British Columbia which continue the race-based fisheries regime of the previous government.

The bill is substantially different that past bills Nicole, this bill borders on unconstitutional and gives the biggest pigs in the barrel motivation to allow race based fisheries. Ever read the novel 1984? This bill is closer to that novel than any previous fisheries bill.

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 11:32:54 AM »

They the Politicians do not think that "YOU" the angler are wise enough to understand what they  are doing to you.

"YOU" must contact any or all MP's and tell them that you do not accept them taking away your rights.
If they pass this change, you will see dramatic changes in how the fishery is run and that you no longer have any rights.

As an example, if this act passes they DFO could if they wanted to close the Fraser River to Salmon fishing to all but the members of a group.
They could pick the group and if you wanted to fish, you would have to join this group if they would let you.
Think not, well think again as this proposed act allows them to do this.

Never mind the Tsawassen Band Treaty which wholesales fisheries rights to a specific people. That agreement is a slippery slope as well...and has every native band licking their chops.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 11:38:32 AM »

The Liberals were the first to propose these changes.

The NDP are the only ones agains't it.

You need to tell your MP that you are agains't it.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 02:57:51 PM »

Canadian Environmental Organizations Call for the Withdrawal of Bill C-45

I found this letter best depicting of our current situation. If you can't make it through some of the other links posted make sure you take the time to read this one.
Actions speak louder than words.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 04:32:13 PM »

Sounds like we'll all be in court for fishing while not allowed...

Because I'm not reliquishing my rights to fish if other user groups are fishing and selling thier catch (ie commies, natives).

Sounds like they'll have alot of court cases stacking up.

Cheers,
Nicole
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 09:13:59 PM by Nicole »
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 05:29:19 PM »

So like  now we'll all be in court for fishing while not allowed...

Because I'm not reliquishing my rights to fish if other user groups are fishing and selling thier catch (ie commies, natives).

Sounds like they'll have alot of court cases stacking up.

Cheers,
Nicole

Not if you send a letter to your MP or any other and state you are not in favour of this act.