Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make Boraxed roe?  (Read 8207 times)

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
How to make Boraxed roe?
« on: August 20, 2006, 11:09:33 AM »

I have a lot of spring roe and want to put it to good use as coho season is coming up for barfishing in the lower river.
However, I have never made any before and I was wondering if anyone knew of any directions to make it?
                                                            Any help is appreciated...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: How to make Boraxed roe?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 11:17:13 AM »

The use of borax is to keep the roe dry so when you're using it, your hands don't get sticky with the goo etc. ;) :P Personally, I dislike using borax, I stopped using it around 5 years ago, because it acts like sand when it gets inside the reel.

I like to salt the roe or soak my roe in a salt solution for an hour or so, to draw the water out of the eggs so they are firm (but not hard, the longer it is salted, the harder it gets). For drift fishing in the Vedder etc, I like to purchase a jar of Procure Double hot red. The closest shop to you would be Berry's Bait and Tackle for that. Sprinkle the procure on the roe and let it sit for awhile. Then it is ready.

For fishing down here (Tidal Fraser), the roe can be used after it is salted. Store it in borax if you want, but I find that it makes no difference to the fishing result.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 11:42:58 AM »

Here's how you cure roe with borax. Place your skeins on a couple of paper towels and place in the fridge (not freezer) for a couple of hours to air dry. Cut lengthwise along the skeins with a sharp scissor and and into smaller chunks ensuring you have some membranes on each of the chunks. Liberally sprinkle borax onto your roe making sure it gets into the "flaps". Ready for use. Either use immediately or store in freezer. Bring a towel with you when you go fishing. Wipe your hands after using the borax, otherwise you will get it on your vest, clothing, reel and rod.

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 01:17:59 PM »

Ok thanks FA and Rod!
I will get started imedietly on that...right after I come back from the range :)
I have an extra fridge but still wondering whether or not air drying thr roe will really stink up the fridge for a lont time?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 01:38:23 PM »

Put an opened box of Baking Soda in your fridge. It will absorb all the bad odours for months.

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 01:39:25 PM »

Ok thanks FA.
Will do.
                                 Thanks for the help guys.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 02:27:48 PM »

I just cured up some spring roe looks so good! anyone ever try using sox roe? it didnt work out for me its like a stick of roe so dry!
[

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 08:35:08 PM »

is there any reason you wouldn't use roe sacks all the time? I HATE the stuff and think thats why I went to the fly, but I don't mind roe sacks at all...no way i'm getting my sage looking like chris g.'s :o

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 12:15:11 AM »

Golfman, roe sacs work just as well apparently. Chris started using them in the past two seasons for coho and he has not found any difference between them and roe chunks. I, on the other hand, have found roe chunks work better than roe sacs, so I don't use them that much for coho. You're right, the mess can be quite annoying, that's why I usually use it for a couple of weeks in late September and early October on the Vedder. The rest of the season I tend to stick with lures. ;)

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 07:19:35 AM »

Don't know if anyone else has found this but I really don't like the spring roe you get from fraser fish...its too tight and immature.  I find the best roe comes from the bigger eggs and skeins that have started to loosen up a bit and those come from fish who are closer to their natal rivers/spawning.  For me, this makes the nearly pinhead sized sockeye roe garbage. 

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 03:53:43 PM »

Golfman, roe sacs work just as well apparently. Chris started using them in the past two seasons for coho and he has not found any difference between them and roe chunks. I, on the other hand, have found roe chunks work better than roe sacs, so I don't use them that much for coho. You're right, the mess can be quite annoying, that's why I usually use it for a couple of weeks in late September and early October on the Vedder. The rest of the season I tend to stick with lures. ;)

Thanks Rod, I am not a fan of it but could live with it in roe sacks, I also have been using spoons, spinners and jigs and of course spin n glo's ...lately i've only been fly fishing and probably will continue except for winter steelies...then i'm going to try and go half and half at least...got some nymphing idea's to try this time around.. ;)