Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bull Trout?!?!  (Read 7119 times)

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
Bull Trout?!?!
« on: April 02, 2006, 01:40:49 PM »

Hi people, I am just wondering if anyone knew of a spot to fish bull trout?
I am heading out in a little bit and just wondering if towards richmond is good, or the other way?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Bull Trout?!?!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 12:52:05 AM »

You do not need to come all the way down here for bull trout (leave those spots for me ;D ). If you are in the Coquitlam area, my recommendations would be the Lower Pitt River, the mouth of the Coquitlam River, and the Fraser River in between these areas. Depending on the movement of the fry, some fish should be emerging around these areas very soon. Normally I find the best period around Richmond/Steveston area to be in May and June, but they can be caught as early as March if you do a search on past fishing reports. Total catch and release. :)

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 07:42:44 AM »

Ok thanks, but im in the New West area so I tried brownsville bar yesturday...nothing :-[.
I will just try another time later in the month ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 03:11:28 PM »

If you are in New Westminster and have access to transportations, then hop over to Annacis Island, North Arm of the Fraser River. Fish the areas from two hours before peak tide to two hours after. During May and June, fishing is best during outgoing tide after peak as the fry will be moving down the river.

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 08:03:58 AM »

Ok thanks! Ive fished there a few times.
And I guess it's probably best to fish a bar?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 10:39:06 PM »

Normally I prefer to target them with a spinner during spring. The fish are hungry and aggressive so they are not hard to entice. A 1/4oz copper spinner with a size 4 copper french blade has been the most productive one for me in the past. Spinning is also more interesting than bottom fishing with roe, as I like to move around, cover as much water as possible and cast towards rising fish.

However, as I noted in another thread, the water clarity is already not great in the tidal Fraser because of the freshet. When the clarity is bad, bottom fishing with roe is your best bet. It's productive, but the tendency to deep hooking a fish is unfortunately high, even if the fish is small. The bait is usually sitting still in the water, and unless you are striking precisely when the fish bite, they can easily swallow it. To reduce this from happening, I like to use a big hook (actually, I have always waited until the water clears up and avoided using bait in the last few years). I have found that size 2/0 is the most effective one that gives you enough time to strike without having the fish swallowing your bait. You may also want to try out circle hooks. There have been brief discussions at recent meetings regarding the implementation of circle hooks for bait fishing in the Fraser River during certain time of the year.

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 07:49:29 AM »

So all copper.. sounds good. I went out once and was using a pink Vibrax with a silver blade.
I geuss I will look around for some copper spinners! Thanks for the info, Rod. :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 11:57:23 AM »

Don't just stick to copper spinners now because I said so ;) , make sure you still try other ones as well. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for others. :)