Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Change of upper Chilliwack River no fishing boundary  (Read 13086 times)

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: Change of upper Chilliwack River no fishing boundary
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 06:51:23 PM »

hey quit listing all my favourite spots  :D
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 07:05:34 PM »

Maybe we should close the canal, KWB, train bridge, brown road, lickman, peach, crossing, OTW, gun barrel, wilson road, boulders, tamahi, allison pools, fort apache, cedars run, thurston meadows, prison, borden, ranger, and slab too milo because I've seen a TON of snaggers there too!!!!!! Or maybe DFO and MoE can maybe do their jobs by implementing new regs to fix the problem and hire more officers to enforce the regs!? But why would people want that when everyone out there falls for the usual band-aid fix all the time?

Fish don't hold in those spots as long as they hold at the limit hole. Salmon don't migrate downstream, only upstream. If a fish has survived all the challenges of the lower, mid and upper river, they might as well get a break at the Limit hole - where they take a good rest before the final push to the hatchery.
Good decision, IMO.

Agreed on the DFO/MoE comment.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 08:35:52 PM »

I am not sure where the Limit Hole is but I was up by the hatchery this weekend and a million and a half flosers were plucking fish out of the water..
Dark boots and they still kill them.
They floss them, don't mark their licenses....
It's a free for all up there.
Fisheries people should have a station there for Christ's sake.

Since this is my first summer on the Chilliwack river I didn't have a good understanding of what Chris, Rodney and the guys were saying about the campers and their garbage last winter.
Now I know.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 10:02:59 PM »

I guess DFO officers were too busy getting ready for the bottom bouncing test they are doing on the Fraser.  On another fishing site, a person said they called in some infractions, and DFO did not seem in too big a hurry to send an officer  to go out to the Vedder to enforce the regulations. I mean honestly if they are going to close their eye and let this sort of crap go on in broad daylight, I don't know why they go and bother writing up all the rules and regulations we are supposed to be abiding by when fishing for salmon.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 10:15:46 PM »

they cant be everywhere you know, they simply dont have enough man power to cover all the rivers and lakes in one day  ::)

What would help if we could get more funding for more CO's and FO's in our province, and perhaps a change of regulations.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 10:26:55 PM »

Kingpin, if DFO finds that they do not have the resources to do the job, then they should admit it and off load some of their duties to the province. Remember DFO if I am correct is under Federal jurisdiction. Too many times we as sportsmen make excuses for government agencies.  The old we don't have enough people to do the job is pretty old. We pay plenty of taxes in this country. Ask yourself where is all that money going???  Until a concerted joint effort between DFO, COs and the province is taken things will not get any better, and it will be the same old, same old for years to come on the Vedder.

SnaggedADuck

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 10:59:54 PM »

Out of curiosity, how many people call in regulation infractions and see DFO officers arrive on site?  I hate seeing snagged fish being bonked or wild coho miss identified.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 06:54:55 AM »

Out of curiosity, how many people call in regulation infractions and see DFO officers arrive on site?  I hate seeing snagged fish being bonked or wild coho miss identified.

and i hate how the DFO mismanaged the fish farms enabling sea lice which killed millions of salmon fry.

how do I go about issuing a ticket to the DFO?

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 10:15:36 AM »

Anyone here ever thought of becoming a CO? Put your money where your mouth is and see what its like on the other side of the fence. Maybe someone could try and make a difference from within the organization instead of sitting here complaing every time the subject comes up.
 ;D
Just my 2 cents.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 02:06:57 PM »

Just blowing bubbles again

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 03:46:39 PM »

I tried but my grades were not good enough.I was too lazy at the time to go back to school and get better grades at the time you needed C+ average.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 05:58:25 PM »

Perhaps for this spring season, close the Slab too.  ;D

Both the Limit Hole and the Slab have too many fish stationing there for too long and thus become sitting targets. If the stock is in trouble, these spots should be closed until the Coho season.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 06:26:30 PM »

Perhaps for this spring season, close the Slab too.  ;D

Both the Limit Hole and the Slab have too many fish stationing there for too long and thus become sitting targets. If the stock is in trouble, these spots should be closed until the Coho season.

Exactly, Steelhawk.
It is the 'stationing' as you rightly call it that makes them easy to snag. Sooner or later a hook at the end of a long leader finds a way into their flesh. :(
Glad to see there are more people who understand the nature of the problem.

buck

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 07:56:43 PM »

Thanks for all the support on the closure of the limits hole even though its for a short duration. It's been an ongoing battle keeping anglers out of this area.
Fishery notices are torn down nearly as fast as they are put up. On a more positive note more springs are starting to show up at the hatchery. It still appears
that the majority of fish are 3 year olds, which predominately are males. The 4 year old componet of the run appears to be weak as it is on the Fraser.                   

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2008, 09:03:56 PM »

Stopped by this area this morning and six rods were working the area even though there was signs on a number of trees. To save the much needed fish for the hatchery I told them it was closed so they all moved on and were good about doing so.

Guess what, just as I was leaving the area too 2 FOC officers showed up.

I may have saved not only a chinook but a number of people hefty fines, I guess if I was in cell phone range I could have called the infractions in or maybe I should have gone to the Hatchery and used their phone.

What was more important saving a brood fish or maybe sacrificing a fish for the fines that could have been handed out?