Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Area E gets a 32 hour opening  (Read 35941 times)

ricer

Re: Area E gets a 32 hour opening
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2010, 11:35:53 AM »

ROD
 ;D  sorry but we are leasing the boat and we deliver fish to CANFISCO other than a few for family and friends.

By the way I met you at Garry a few days ago when i was with my kids watching you fly fish for PM's.  I see you caught one!

Robert,
you made an interesting point about good coho returns.  Interesting that the same sockeye run that year was abismal while the coho was strong - what is up with that?  Both were fished four years prior and the sockeye had great spawning numbers.  The mystery continue.

Don't misunderstand me still... I am all for management and conservation as well.  I am also all about education :)
Keep it up because we can all learn a lot and raise awareness

bcguy

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2010, 12:03:30 PM »

--I'm sure the commercials don't sit around doing nothing waiting for this fishery it is just one portion of their  year and as others have pointed out they do many other jobs with their boats to earn a living.

---sorry I didn't explain myself better, I don't think there where any  good old days... I think there was a glimmer of hope in the mid to late 70's where forest management was attempted but would agree that industry won the battle in getting government to sell us out on sustainable forest management. I don't have any love for the big name environmental groups, either that now seem to have their focus on raising funds and supporting popular causes rather than doing meaningful work.

--My point mainly is that forestry and fisheries ... should and could be sustainable if managed  with more thought....and that we could and should come to a concensus agreement on allocation for all  us to get our piece of the pie and not begrudge other legitimate users from their fair share when enough fish are available to sustain the population, also at an agreed upon level.

--I am astonished that after so many years of so called scientific study that we cannot better predict the run sizes thus at least give us a chance at setting some management goals.. Either they  have the ability and don't want to tell us the sad state of affairs or we need better funded and prepared practitioners.

I agree, the choice, or rather the pressure on govt to allow the practice of exporting non-value added products does nothing for our economy, but puts money into the pockets of big business, as far as I am concerned, nothing should be leaving this province, with out additional value being added. The perfect example would be the practice of exporting raw logs. Why does this happen? Pressure from big business, who more than likely are NOT Canadian owned.
Sustainability is not always about reaping the highest profits possible, but that ulitimately IS the goal of business. Ricer siad it in an earlier post, most of the commercial fleet boats were NOT huge. "My Great grandfather started fishing in 1907, by 1914 there was a significant Fraser fleet but they fished with sails and hand pulled in short nets and could only fish slack water tides (approx 4-8 hours of any given 24 hour period).  By the 1950's the drum and hydrolics was in full force and the fleet grew.  By the 70's the fleet in BC was huge and boats could gillnet and troll anywhere they were able to get to when opened." When we lookback at how well a resource has performed, we also have to look at the methods of production or harvest. It is possible to be sustainable, but not with the huge seiners, and gill netters.
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Robert_G

« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2010, 01:13:01 PM »

ROD
 ;D  sorry but we are leasing the boat and we deliver fish to CANFISCO other than a few for family and friends.

By the way I met you at Garry a few days ago when i was with my kids watching you fly fish for PM's.  I see you caught one!

Robert,
you made an interesting point about good coho returns.  Interesting that the same sockeye run that year was abismal while the coho was strong - what is up with that?  Both were fished four years prior and the sockeye had great spawning numbers.  The mystery continue.

Don't misunderstand me still... I am all for management and conservation as well.  I am also all about education :)
Keep it up because we can all learn a lot and raise awareness

I think the answer is pretty simple. The coho were strong because there were less commercial boats fishing for salmon during the same year they were both returning.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2010, 03:15:54 PM »

ROD
 ;D  sorry but we are leasing the boat and we deliver fish to CANFISCO other than a few for family and friends.

By the way I met you at Garry a few days ago when i was with my kids watching you fly fish for PM's.  I see you caught one!

Ah too bad. ;D I'll head down to the dock later this evening or early tomorrow morning then. We're looking into buying a couple dozen fish at once and not really look forward to hauling them all up from the floating dock. ;D

Did we chat at Garry Point? I'm trying to remember when it was. Edit: Oh wait, I remember now. Were we talking about the Thompson rainbows?

Danube Boy

« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2010, 03:24:32 PM »

Ah too bad. ;D I'll head down to the dock later this evening or early tomorrow morning then. We're looking into buying a couple dozen fish at once and not really look forward to hauling them all up from the floating dock. ;D

Did we chat at Garry Point? I'm trying to remember when it was. Edit: Oh wait, I remember now. Were we talking about the Thompson rainbows?

You might be able to get them at $6.50/kg.  http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2010/08/25/bc-sockeye-prices-falling.html

ricer

« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2010, 11:55:00 PM »

Rodney,

that's right we talked briefly about the thompson.  sorry rod i would love to sell them but it is up to my father and he is still old school and sells to the company.  Most have their own buyers lined up or sell to cash buyers.  you could show up at the launch at the end of 2 road about an hour after closing and buy some there from fishermen who are hauling them around.  I heard anywhere from 10 to 15 dollars a fish.  average weight is  5 - 7 lb fish.  Adams fish is starting to show.

Well we just got back from fishing and delivering and the fishing was very good... iam ... sorry to say?  Interesting note, we actually caught one pink salmon!  Strange.  

We caught most our fish right along deas island.  at 1:30 the tide was ripping but as soon as we drifted over the tunnel and to the gap we caught some fish (85 on a 15 min set).  Next set (we start at the top of deas island) the tide started to slow and we caught 110.  third set the tide stopped and we caught 500! most my dad has ever caught on a 100 fathom net.  it was incredible.  before and after this tide a set might get you 10 to 20.  i don't know where they appear from and this is after 28 hours of fishing the fish still appear up river.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2010, 02:15:51 PM »

Rodney,

that's right we talked briefly about the thompson.  sorry rod i would love to sell them but it is up to my father and he is still old school and sells to the company.  Most have their own buyers lined up or sell to cash buyers.  you could show up at the launch at the end of 2 road about an hour after closing and buy some there from fishermen who are hauling them around.  I heard anywhere from 10 to 15 dollars a fish.  average weight is  5 - 7 lb fish.  Adams fish is starting to show.

Well we just got back from fishing and delivering and the fishing was very good... iam ... sorry to say?  Interesting note, we actually caught one pink salmon!  Strange.  

We caught most our fish right along deas island.  at 1:30 the tide was ripping but as soon as we drifted over the tunnel and to the gap we caught some fish (85 on a 15 min set).  Next set (we start at the top of deas island) the tide started to slow and we caught 110.  third set the tide stopped and we caught 500! most my dad has ever caught on a 100 fathom net.  it was incredible.  before and after this tide a set might get you 10 to 20.  i don't know where they appear from and this is after 28 hours of fishing the fish still appear up river.

Thanks. :) We went down to the pier this morning and other people had the same idea, so there were line-ups to get your fish. ;D Fish were selling for $20 each if you buy one, or a bit cheaper (down to $15) if you buy several. Here's our buy.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2010, 02:21:42 PM »

wow...they must be so busy, they dont even have time to clean them! 

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2010, 02:22:30 PM »

Heyy..... I thought the limit was 2 per day Rodney!!   ;D

Nice take for .. how long did it take you to drive down, hand select the ones you want and drive back home????

Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2010, 02:26:08 PM »

Pretty much all of the fish available were undressed, as they just came in from last night and probably still backed up from earlier catches. Only three of those fish were mine actually, the rest were for a couple other people. I even cleaned all of the fish for them. :P Now I have a nice tub of roe sitting in the fridge. ;D

Heyy..... I thought the limit was 2 per day Rodney!!   ;D

Nice take for .. how long did it take you to drive down, hand select the ones you want and drive back home????

It took a bit longer than we thought because there were so many people. :o I left my house at 9:30am, we were back just before 10:30am. I did get the opportunity to hop on the boat and watched which fish were being hauled into my cooler. ;D It's just like going to the Vedder, except I didn't have to get up as early. ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2010, 02:45:33 PM »

Category(s):
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0735-COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net - Area E - Area 29- Fraser River Sockeye Openings

Fraser River Sockeye:

Gillnets open for 24 hours commencing at 10:00 hours Monday, August 30 to 10:00
hours Tuesday, August 31 in Subareas 29-1 to 29-4, 29-6, 29-7, and 29-9 to 29-

V.O. # 2010-STN-GN-005

Gillnets open for 12 hours commencing at 07:00 hours Wednesday, September 1 to
19:00 hours Wednesday, September 1 in Subareas 29-1 to 29-4, 29-6, 29-7, and 29-
9 to 29-17.

V.O. # 2010-STN-GN-006

A maximum net length of 100 fathoms is in place for these opening.  This means
that a maximum aggregate net length of 100 fathoms (approximately 187.5 metres)
is on the drum of the vessel. 

The target species for this fishery is sockeye salmon although retention of
chinook, chum and pink salmon is permitted.  Fisher harvesters are reminded
mandatory non-retention and non-possession of all coho, steelhead, and sturgeon
are in effect.

New for 2010 is the requirement for start and end fishing reports. Vessel
masters must, prior to leaving for the fishing grounds, phone AMR at 1-888-387-
0007 and provide a start fishing report. Refer to 2010 Area E Conditions of
Licence for more information including provisions for vessel masters using
electronic harvest logs. 

Notes:

1.  Maximum mesh size is 140 mm (approximately 5.5 inches). Maximum depth 60
meshes.  Maximum hang ratio 3:1.  Maximum corkline to web distance 45 cm. 

2. Fishers are reminded that a mandatory harvest log (paper harvest log or
electronic paper log) and catch reporting program is in place for the 2010
season.  At the end of each fishing day prior to 08:00 hrs of the next day, the
vessel master must, as a condition of licence, report their catch by and record
their catch information in their Salmon Log Book.  Note that a report is
required for all fishing activity even if no fish are caught. Please refer to
appropriate sections of the 2010 Area E Conditions of Licence and Logbook
instructions for the reporting format and requirements.   

3.  All vessels must have operating revival tanks that meet the specifications
as outlined in the 2010 Area E conditions of licence.

4.  Fishers are requested to avoid fishing among birds and not to run the line
if birds are near the net.  Fishers are requested to retain all dead birds
which are entangled and to release live and unharmed birds by placing them in
the water.  Please check all birds for metal bird bands (rings) on the leg.  If
a bird is banded please contact Laurie Wilson with the band number and capture
date and location at 1-866-431-2473 (BIRD) or by the email below.  Handle birds
with gloves, double bag dead birds and label each bird with date, time, and
location and store them on ice.  Please call your local charter patrol to
organize pick-up or drop them off at a local DFO office.  Alternatively, please
send photographs of birds with a reference object such as a coin, and the date,
time and location to laurie.wilson@ec.gc.ca.  Your names and vessel names do
not need to be identified or included.

5.  Fisheries and Oceans Canada is interested in reports of sea turtles in BC
waters.  By documenting sightings we are able to learn more about how, when,
and where these turtles are using our waters.  If you see or entangle a sea
turtle, please call this toll-free phone number: 1-866-I SAW ONE (1-866-472-
9663).  Please include information such as the type of sea turtle seen (i.e.
leatherback), the location, and time of sighting and if entanglement has
occurred.

An additional fishery proposed for Thursday, September 2 will be confirmed on
Tuesday, August 31 in the PM following the next scheduled meeting of the Fraser
River Panel.

Recorded updates for Area E fleet are available at (604) 666-2828.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Barbara Mueller, Resource Manager (604)666-2370

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0735
Sent August 27, 2010 at 13:51
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2010, 02:55:19 PM »

Think I'll head down to Steveston tomorrow and pick up a bunch.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2010, 03:06:40 PM »

There is no such thing as too many returning.
You are totally clueless.

When too many fish spawn in a given area, the 2nd (& 3rd & 4th) set of spawning fish clears the nest of the 1st set of eggs.
This completely wastes the first spawning generation efforts.
These eggs then float around in the spawning areas and can rot and cause disease in the final set of eggs.

Why do you think that salmon "bite" at roe in the river?
They stop eating when they enter the river but they are attempting to get rid of excess eggs floating in their spawning areas.

The reason that we had huge numbers of fish 50 years ago was there was probably 3 to 4 times the spawning area there is now.
We have less due to dams, logging damage to streams, gravel extraction, etc.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2010, 03:13:15 PM »

you can get fraser sockeye heads off cleaned 15-25 dollars 4.50 lb. at the real canadian super store. decent value.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2010, 10:20:04 PM »

at lunch time today they were 4 for $50