Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: advice regarding Achilles LSI 290E  (Read 3714 times)

AJTorres9589

AJTorres9589

Re: advice regarding Achilles LSI 290E
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2021, 10:57:29 PM »

Alrighty...

So I did the bow anchor lock similar to typhoon withe the weaver mounting plate. Aligned it on the front though with the top plate clean so I can add two more mounts there if I wished. The stern anchor lock is to be drilled into the transom tomorrow after acquiring silicone so I can properly seal the holes.
Two mount pads for the rod holders. One mount pad that’s hard to see but it’s below and behind the bench and holds the lowrance. So somethin I’m excited about... I went with a merc 4-stroke 5hp PROPANE engine. Maintenance is next to nothing and no messy/corrosive/smelly gas all over. Merc and minn Kota have full clearance on the transom. It’s definitely snug with the battery and the propane tank, but not bad when arranged correctly. Perfectly comfortable fishing with two people. Thoughts??

JustPuttsin

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2021, 12:46:52 PM »

Photo work's just fine! LOL..... now to get it out of the hallway and into the water!

AJTorres9589

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2021, 02:09:16 PM »

Haha almost ready. Next weekend should be the maiden voyage. Take it over to lake cowichan, troll some plugs. Super excited!

sbc hris

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2021, 01:59:08 PM »

Boat looks great! I'm curious about the performance of the propane outboard. If you think about it, let us know how the fuel economy is, and how slow/low it will idle down and troll.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2021, 02:46:42 PM »

It's clean, for sure.
I have my fish finder head attached to the top of my battery box using a rare earth magnets. I also extra rare earth magnets to battery box and to the front anchor mount for storing tools, flies etc. while fishing. Can't have wayward hooks in an inflatable.
I attach my transducer to the transom using velcro instead of drilling more holes. I'm not a fan of holes near the waterline. I bolted the transducer to a piece of plastic (cutting board ~8" x 3" will work) then use industrial strength velcro on the plastic and on the transom. It never pops off and is easily removed for transport.

edit* oh, I just noticed you have the scotty anchor mount on the front of the Weaver plate. I have mine mounted on the top - better physics when running with the anchor hanging. If you always bring it in it's fine, but I don't. In fact I store my pyramid anchor behind the scotty mount on top of the Weaver plate.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 02:49:15 PM by typhoon »

AJTorres9589

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2021, 02:50:12 PM »

Definitely, I’m curious myself. Only just learned about them but I guess merc has been making them for a bit now. Didn’t quite take initially cause of a lack of parts but they’ve got them dialed in now and they’re super adorable. Merc says a 20lb tank will get you 10 hrs of run time at full throttle. I’ll most likely run a 10lb tank for space and weight. As far as ease of use goes, can’t be best. Hook the tank up, push the choke in and you’re off. No worrying about the carb after not using it for a couple months and you change the oil once a year, if that. Also the beauty is that I’m using propane on the campsite regardless so it’s multi use. Super excited about it, think it’s perfect for what I’m doing. If I’m going to be carrying a bunch of fuel around with me in the truck I’d rather it be propane than gasoline any day of the week. I’ll keep you guys posted.

AJTorres9589

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2021, 02:53:09 PM »

Haha I meant adorable regarding the motor. Also adorable lol.

And really cool about the magnets typhoon. I’m going to look into that. And I hear you about drilling into the transom. It’s the cleanest and most structurally sound mounting location for the rear anchor lock though. I’m using a liberal amount of silicone to get the holes sealed properly. Should be fine! And I like what you did with the Velcro. Something to explore. I was a little worried about having the transducer that close to the engine/trolling motor but you don’t appear to have any issues with interference or noise eh?

AJTorres9589

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2021, 02:53:40 PM »

*****affordable!!!!! Bloody autocorrect!