Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Peg Leg  (Read 24422 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Peg Leg
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2015, 09:24:30 AM »

What is TOW?
Slang for flossing, "The Other Way."A thing I have not done for many years even though I can accept it in a small way for taking sockeye. My personally thought is I never want to take a fish by intentionally fishing in a way to snag it. Another sad thing many young people learn this method and know no other way to catch fish.

The only good part is if there is one is, It is good for the economy, especiaaly in the Valley as it generates millions of dollars when the sockeye is open, something that does not appear to bein the works this year but FOC works in funny ways some times. :-X

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2015, 09:57:23 AM »

Thanks!

I'm curious as to why flossing targets sockeye more than other fish, and why using spin and glows targets chinook and others. Are chinook still eating as they go upriver, do spin and glows trigger an aggressive reaction? This is my first season at it and I've much to learn...

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2015, 01:31:05 PM »

Thanks!

I'm curious as to why flossing targets sockeye more than other fish, and why using spin and glows targets chinook and others. Are chinook still eating as they go upriver, do spin and glows trigger an aggressive reaction? This is my first season at it and I've much to learn...
A lot of unknowns in fishing, many fishers have theories on what you ask but I am not sure so can not help you.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2015, 03:36:31 PM »

I'm curious as to why flossing targets sockeye more than other fish, and why using spin and glows targets chinook and others.

I wouldnt say flossing targets sockeye more, but rather it targets all fish indiscriminately. If people get more sockeye while flossing, it's probably due to the fact that during the peak of the sockeye run, they are present in far greater numbers than literally everything else combined.  Literally millions of fish.

As to why springs will take a bar fished Spin-n-glo, while sockeye ignore such offerings is a good question, and as Mr. Gadsen notes is mostly a mystery, though theories abound. While I dont believe chinook actively feed in rivers it surely must be triggering some sort of feeding/territorial instinct that causes them to bite.

For some reason once in fresh water, sockeye are mostly unwilling biters. People definitively can get them to actively take in clearer waters like the Vedder and Harrison, but in the murky Fraser, not so much, hence the proliferation of flossing. It's the only reliable method of taking sockeye in the Fraser by rod and reel that we know of so far.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2015, 04:07:50 PM »

Interesting...

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2015, 06:22:35 AM »

I wouldnt say flossing targets sockeye more, but rather it targets all fish indiscriminately.

Exactly, it is NOT a "selective" fishing method.
Not all those who wander are lost

TheLostSockeye

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2015, 08:33:30 AM »

saw a horrific seen at peg leg yesterday i was only there for 20 mins aswell. I saw a nice chrome sockeye around 7lbs get dragged up on the rocks for 2 minutes plus while these idiots tried to get the hook out. Now this is why they are going to close the river for everyone.

mikeyman

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2015, 10:02:08 AM »

Close it...teach those idiots a lesson. A real shame! People to lazy or cheap to invest effort to actually sport fish...fool a fish to bite. The fuel and time...they should just go buy fish if it is meat they are after. All my fish has come out of saltwater on anchovy and hootchies...8 springs in 4 trips been really good out there.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 10:07:20 AM by mikeyman »

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2015, 10:49:37 AM »

Bottom Bouncing with a long leader doesn't target anything in specific. More sockeye are intercepted simply because there are more numbers of sockeye than anything else (when the sockeye are actually in the river at the time of the activity). Anything that swims with its mouth continuously opening and closing is prone to eventually get a hook in the mouth from a long leader. Sometimes the hook gets them on the inside of the mouth sometimes it gets them on the outside of the mouth. If the mouth is closed and the leader goes over the head, there is a chance it gets snagged on a fin. The skill in this snagging comes from reading the water, knowing what weight to use to get the optimal sweep, knowing the angle to cast up river and ensuring the river bottom is going to promote a bounce. Sure corkie size, wool size, hook size and line weight all play a factor in resistance to water and high that the hook sweeps across the bottom but this is all a skill that one develops over years to perfect this method of snagging fish.

Only until long leader bottom bouncing is deemed to be officially snagging - I can't see how it can be legally enforced. Make bottom bouncing with long leaders illegal and enforce it appropriately. Don't stop a fishery due to subjective or interpretive methods of harvesting. Fishermen will figure out other ways of catching fish if one method is made illegal. Most will obey the law - some will not until you take away their gear and vehicle and impose large fines.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 11:00:02 AM by Rieber »

TheLostSockeye

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2015, 01:54:52 PM »

Filmed this video today of a gentleman loosing a spring. I was there for 30 minutes and saw 3 springs bonked and also 2 pinks!! Lots of sockeyes were being caught. Wish people would just bar fish  :-X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0kXNdC6r4o

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2015, 02:02:20 PM »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, now it's closed.  What a shock!   ;)

jeetS

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2015, 02:27:14 PM »

>:( >:( >:( >:(

was gonna go bar fishing next weekend!  :'(

I'd like to cause physical and financial pain to those idiot flossers

Apennock

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2015, 04:05:22 PM »

>:( >:( >:( >:(

I'd like to cause physical and financial pain to those idiot flossers

Well, that escalated quickly....

PaulyD

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2015, 04:26:30 PM »

Doubtful the closure has anything to do with people flossing just look at the test fishing numbers and compare to other years the numbers dont lie !! Can you say 2009 all over again !! Hopefully this is just a bad year and not the ongoing trend for the future ....

sockeyed

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2015, 04:28:33 PM »

Doubtful the closure has anything to do with people flossing just look at the test fishing numbers and compare to other years the numbers dont lie !! Can you say 2009 all over again !! Hopefully this is just a bad year and not the ongoing trend for the future ....

Agreed, test numbers are concerning. In addition, they closed the tidal portion, where you cant really floss. Sad situation here.