Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Peg Leg  (Read 24417 times)

chomperman

Re: Peg Leg
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 10:46:39 PM »

It's not necessarily what you use but how you use it.

ie. Jigging can be done ethically, working the lure properly to entice a strike. Or unethically, ripping it through a school of fish hoping to snag one by pure chance.

Understood completely. Not sure why people would do the latter as it is no longer sport fishing. You have to accept the chance of bitter disappointment to make it exciting when you finally entice one to bite!

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2015, 08:43:16 PM »

So let's make this clear - is it closed to bottom bouncing or is it open to bottom bouncing?

The only answer is "Yes".

To quote DFO NOTICE FN0772 (that's the one that opened the river on August 3rd):

"There is no retention of sockeye salmon permitted at this time. Given the low abundance of sockeye and the expected en-route mortality, impacts on sockeye are to be minimized and DFO is working with all users of the resource to limit impacts on sockeye.

While fishing for pink, chinook and chum salmon, anglers should avoid using fishing methods that catch sockeye salmon and fish selectively.

The first principle of selective harvesting is to avoid catching non-targeted stocks.  This means that anglers should use methods that do not catch sockeye.  The following fishing methods enable anglers to catch pink, chinook and chum salmon and rarely intercept sockeye salmon:

Bar Fishing
Trolling Spoons at Creek mouths
Float Fishing
Pulling Plugs
Fly Fishing

We encourage anglers to continue to use these methods to target pink, chinook and chum while avoiding sockeye. 

Please note that bottom bouncing is NOT considered a selective fishing method and is strongly discouraged.  The Department requests that selective fishing techniques be used and will continue to closely monitor the situation to ensure impacts on sockeye are at a minimum.

Should DFO feel that the rate of compliance is insufficient to ensure the adequate passage of sockeye, spot closures or a "no fishing for salmon" restriction may result."
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 06:27:03 AM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2015, 01:19:38 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCJ9Z_HgFqc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eov11cglvf8

Here's a regular snagger who doesn't care if the fishery closes for everyone.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 02:43:00 AM by big_fish »

tworivers

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2015, 09:48:57 AM »

Oh Mickey
You're so bad
You're so bad
You blow my mind
Hey Mickey!
Hey Mickey! > :(

tworivers

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2015, 10:02:53 AM »

Oh Mickey, you're so bad
Can't you understand
It's guys like you Mickey
Oh what you do Mickey,
do Mickey
Don't ruin my fishing Mickey!! :(

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2015, 10:26:22 AM »

Big_Fish,

I'm looking at the length of line between hook and weight and assuming that the dude was bottom bouncing and not fishing in a more preferable way?

PaulyD

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2015, 11:10:41 AM »

Me thinks its the bouncing betty that gave it away as opposed to the length of his line between hook and weight ...

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2015, 11:51:25 AM »

On the bright side, it doesnt look like there are too many others BB'ing there. Hopefully that means majority are respecting the DFO request to not BB leaving a few special individuals like this one. He even says in the first video he landed a sockeye. Selective methods indeed...

Tylsie

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2015, 11:48:11 PM »

Me thinks its the bouncing betty that gave it away as opposed to the length of his line between hook and weight ...

I disagree, there is a huge difference between bottom bouncing and TOW. A proper bottom bouncing set up with a short leader is just as selective as ripping a fly across a river as dirty as the Fraser, or spoon. But since the DFO has asked to for people not to do it they should comply. Not looking to start a fight, and if I get attacked so be it! Just tired of people saying BB and flossing are the same thing.

VA7DDP

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2015, 12:52:15 AM »

This grey area is terrible. I'm sure there are guys who think if they throw a corkie on or some green wool they are targeting springs. The only thing this grey area law is encouraging is fights breaking out between bar fishermen trying to take the law into their own hands and bouncers who will say they aren't doing anything illegal.

Well I can use a green corkie with green wool on a float rig with a 18" leader and catch spring.

Its not as much the gear, but how you use it

Tangles

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2015, 01:29:34 AM »

I don't know if the effect of this thread would be very positive. It already has 3000 views and youtube videos of springs caught on consecutive days....  :o

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2015, 04:03:39 AM »

I heard FOC says 70 % of people out there are TOWing, from what I have seen that is incorrect although there is still too many doing it. Is FOC just saying that so they have an excuse to shut us down?

wallygator24

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2015, 04:32:16 AM »

Have you guys ever caught summer run steelhead in the Fraser Bar fishing?  Just curious.  I was bar fishing on the Columbia river in the states for steelhead last week, and it was a blast. 

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2015, 05:02:54 AM »

Yes, I've seen several caught as a bi-catch in the lower Fraser while bar fishibg

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2015, 09:03:14 AM »

What is TOW?