Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non-tidal portion of Fraser River closed for all salmon fishing  (Read 20254 times)

hue-nut

• Old Timer
Re: Non-tidal portion of Fraser River closed for all salmon fishing
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 10:25:29 PM »

Great decision, there may be hope for the fish yet.

because flossing is a threat to wild salmon  ::)

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 10:28:12 PM »

Thanks snaggots (and warm temps) for ruining my barfing season.

*sigh* slowly puts barfing gear back in the garage and gets out the pin setup to target pinks, coho and the chinook in the next few weeks...

They want to minimize the impact that man has on the fish and give them every chance they can get so yes the snaggers have an impact all be it minimal. With these dismal returns every fish counts!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 10:31:18 PM by Johnny Canuck »
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

millsm

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 10:41:21 PM »

Has this happened in recent memory? Anyone have any idea or guesses on if it will open in time for the bulk of the pink run?

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 10:49:23 PM »

I think if I remember the results from the sockeye bottom bouncing mortality rate were less then 1%

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 10:49:33 PM »

Has this happened in recent memory? Anyone have any idea or guesses on if it will open in time for the bulk of the pink run?

Yes, it has occurred in the past, in 2009.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=119313&ID=recreational

This was issued a few days after anglers were asked to fish selectively by avoid catching and releasing sockeye salmon.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=119214&ID=recreational

If the late summer sockeye salmon return is as just as low in September, then one can assume this closure will continue as the recreational fishing sector continues to demonstrate that participants are unable to (choose to) fish selectively.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 11:29:18 PM »

bet the Cheam r still out netting ! >:(

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 11:35:31 PM »

When the numbers allow for a catch and kill fishery, I enjoy dusting off my Fraser river rod and flossing a few sockeye for the freezer and smoker. But in a situation like this, when every fish counts, I applaud the decision to close the river to ALL angling, preventing the incidental catch of sockeye.

Frankly, I find it disconcerting that the only thing some bar fishermen have to say about it is whine about how flossers ruined the chinook fishery for them. It would be nice for a change to hear anglers of all persuasions endorse a decision whose only purpose is to protect the fish - the very reason we, as a group, exist.

And to all those who now find themselves not knowing what to do...go to your local tackle store, buy some dink floats, pencil lead or split shots, spoons, spinners and yarn, and learn to catch biting fish on artificials. It is a lot more fun that casting and retrieving those heavy betties anyways.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 11:35:53 PM »

bet the Cheam r still out netting ! >:(

No they aren't.

rickjames_2

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 12:24:39 AM »

I said nothing about flossing there bud. I am more concerned about the water temperature being almost 4 degree's celsius higher than normal. Give the largest number of fish the best chance possible to survive. Less fishing pressure could only help. I don't judge fraser river flossers Hue-nut, so perhaps next time, don't leap to conclusions and assume that I am.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 01:59:22 AM »

I am with Milo. The high temperature is the main reason given the lower than expected return. High temperature will create high mortality rate much higher than the 1% c&r bb can do to harm fish. The BFers likes to bash the BBers for anything under the sun. The fact of the matter is high temperature plus the FN nets will do most of the damage to the fish. The 50 sockeye hookups claimed by one guy in anther thread is just a joke, a troll and a fairy tale. Only those who don't do BB will believe that kind of number. This kind of exaggerated number is only aimed at flaming the authority to shut down the BBers. But unfortunately, it always comes down to total closure.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 06:42:42 AM »

No,it comes to a total closure when those that have a hard time understanding what selective methods means.
Dam rights the flossers have caused this closure.
This whole Sockeye fishery has been a joke since its inception.

trot

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2013, 06:57:08 AM »

It IS 100% caused by the snaggers-Like others have stated, if all you fools would have listened to the "selective methods" it would really only be Chinook being hooked with the very odd sockeye. It really blows my mind that people still try and defend flossing these fish! Hats off to the full closure I guess, I can only hope this leads to them saying NO SNAGGING.

TNAngler

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2013, 07:07:18 AM »

http://www.ubcic.bc.ca/News_Releases/UBCICNews08131301.html#axzz2bxyTsTNX

This link was posted by Rodney in a different thread a couple days ago.  You think the FN are going to remain closed to fishing if there are ANY recreational fisherman catching even just one sockeye?  And there is no way the bar fisherman can claim that not a single sockeye gets caught by them because some in here have already said they did.

I believe this closure is for a couple reason.  First, it is a way to make sure everybody stays closed.  Second, it makes enforcement a whole lot easier.  One trip up river with a heliocoptor can see if there are any boats or people on the banks.  Enforecment is a lot harder when there are a bunch of people that the person fishing illegally can blend in to.

trot

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2013, 08:25:58 AM »

http://www.ubcic.bc.ca/News_Releases/UBCICNews08131301.html#axzz2bxyTsTNX

This link was posted by Rodney in a different thread a couple days ago.  You think the FN are going to remain closed to fishing if there are ANY recreational fisherman catching even just one sockeye?  And there is no way the bar fisherman can claim that not a single sockeye gets caught by them because some in here have already said they did.

I believe this closure is for a couple reason.  First, it is a way to make sure everybody stays closed.  Second, it makes enforcement a whole lot easier.  One trip up river with a heliocoptor can see if there are any boats or people on the banks.  Enforecment is a lot harder when there are a bunch of people that the person fishing illegally can blend in to.

No one claimed that bar fisherman don't catch sockeye lol however in many years of regular bar fishing I can count the amount on one hand. Compare that number to snagging and you will see the light.

TNAngler

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 08:32:47 AM »

No one claimed that bar fisherman don't catch sockeye lol however in many years of regular bar fishing I can count the amount on one hand. Compare that number to snagging and you will see the light.

What light?  Another bar fisherman already claimed to have caught 2 or 3 sockeye this year.  You think it matters?  Did you read the article?  It is the fact that people are fishing and possibly catching the fish.  Either everything is shut down or at least certain members/tribes of the FN believe they have a right to fish too.