Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Number of Jack Coho this year  (Read 16061 times)

bigblue

• Old Timer
Re: Number of Jack Coho this year
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2012, 01:42:21 PM »

I have caught quite few bright silver 1/2 pounder (jacks) Vedder river winter steelheads weighting in around 1-1.5 pounds during last 33 years. I believed female coho jack is called a Jill.

Silex-user

Last steelhead season I also caught  a couple of bright chrome steelheads around 1 to 1.5 pounds.
Their size and body shape were very similar to a Vedder coho jack.
First I assumed they were residualized smolts, but when I think about them now, I am begining to wonder why after being in the river for almost a year they have not taken on the colour more like a resident trout?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Number of Jack Coho this year
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2012, 08:57:12 AM »

Coho jacks were far more common before the on set of hatchery production - which at least initially, specifically excluded jacks  from reproduction. After a couple of decades the collapse of coho programs farther south caused DFO to introduce more variability into the mix (often literally by mixing eggs and sperm from numerous fish) and jacks were sometimes included.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.