Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you coming to Fish for the Future 2010?

Yes! :)
- 12 (52.2%)
No... :(
- 11 (47.8%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: July 20, 2010, 02:14:24 PM

Author Topic: Fish for the Future 2010, July 10th - FREE fishing festival!  (Read 15708 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Fish for the Future 2010, July 10th - FREE fishing festival!
« on: April 21, 2010, 02:13:47 PM »

Hi all, we are now less than three months until this year's Fish for the Future! This year's festival will be on Saturday July 10th, from 10am until 3pm. The venue is No. 2 Road Pier at London's Landing in Steveston.

For those of you who are unfamiliar what Fish for the Future is, it is an annual community festival that volunteers from this forum and flybc put together in Steveston. The festival includes a variety of educational activities for kids. These activities include flycasting, flytying, kids fishing on the pier with rods provided if they don't have their own equipment, an outdoor aquatic display (tanks of fish that kids catch on the day, aquatic insect displays, juvenile coho salmon), arts and crafts plus a number of exhibitors such as DFO Steveston, Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC, etc. The goal is to promote educated angling interest in the area by letting families try out fishing and finding out more about the Tidal Fraser ecosystem.

We once again need volunteers to take part in the following tasks: Set-up (from 8:30am to 10am), registration (writing up juvenile tidal licences), flytying demo, flycasting instruction, helping kids on the pier (setting up rods, untangling lines, baiting hooks), taking care of the aquariums (changing water, taking fish from kids to the aquariums, telling people what species of fish are in the tanks), packing up (3pm - 4pm).

If you are interested, please leave a message in this thread or send me an email at info@fishingwithrod.com. Make sure you let me know what you'd like to do as well.

Although this event is primarily hosted for kids, adults who want to learn are welcome too. ;) It's a good opportunity for those who want to learn how to tie flies, fly cast, or find out more about fishing in the Tidal Fraser River (or Lower Mainland in general). You also have a chance to talk to people who are working behind the scene, ie. fishery officers at DFO, staff from the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC.

IamCanadian

Re: Fish for the Future 2010, July 10th, volunteers needed
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 03:37:55 PM »

Count me in for the morning set-up!! I can't go for the whole day though. So 8:30 till around 12 if that's ok!!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 04:08:22 PM »

Sounds good, looking forward to see you again. :)

noxcape

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 05:37:10 PM »

rodney is there anyway the west coast bass anglers can get envolved with this we would like to bring  more attention to bass fishing in this province

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 06:22:37 PM »

rodney is there anyway the west coast bass anglers can get envolved with this we would like to bring  more attention to bass fishing in this province

I would think that it would be awesome if you guys could get involved, especially at this event held in Richmond.  I've always thought that if we could get the Asian community to realize that bass are a white fleshed fish that not only kind of look like rock cod but could taste a bit like rock cod, that a lot of bass populations would dwindle.  Also the fact that there is no size limit and that you can keep 4 fish per person would also be a great incentive to help control this invasive species.  After all, if pea mouth chub and NPWs are good enough for soup, then why not bass?

Whaddya think Rodney, print up some leaflets talking about bass and maybe a recipe or 2 in Cantonese/Mandarin/Vietnamese and maybe Tagalog and then the event goers can pick the brains of the WCBA on where to go and how to fish for them!

Edit to add:

Also if we could emphasize the significance of going in pairs because 4+4= 8 fish per pair of anglers!  You could have a LUCKY catch, 8 being a lucky number and such!

« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 06:34:25 PM by itosh »

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 08:33:31 PM »

ouch!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 08:47:53 PM »

Not sure what itosh is trying to say... Chinese people like to kill bass? :o

Jokes aside, this event primarily focuses on Tidal Fraser River's native fish species and fishing, so it's not so relevant. I'd suggest that you set up an event during the BC Family Fishing Weekend (which also sponsors our event) on June 18th to 20th, have people coming to a lake where bass fishing is available and let them try it out since fishing is free during that weekend.

http://www.bcfamilyfishing.com/default.htm

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 10:13:17 PM »

Rod; you can count on me again for fly casting and fly tying.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Buck_wife

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 10:15:46 AM »

I am not going to commit our family  just yet.........  :-[
The first intake for air cadet summer camp starts July 12 so its very possible that kids 1,2, & 3 get shipped out that weekend to Victoria. or just kid 1 or just kid 2&3....just to make it confusing. lol
I won't find out until June sometime, (actually sometimes it could be the day before they leave :o) which intake the kids are in and what time and where they have to leave from.  Will let you know as soon as I get some info.   :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 10:23:53 AM by Buck_wife »

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 10:34:34 AM »

Hey Rod you can count me in again:)I might drag a buddy along as well.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 03:11:20 PM »

I would love to help out but cant confirm yet. My wife gets one week holidays in the summer and we are looking around the middle of July up at Sheridan. I will answer the poll once I can confirm our holiday dates.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 09:54:43 PM »

Sounds good everyone. :)

I am not going to commit our family  just yet.........  :-[

Who's going to feed the volunteers?? :o

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 04:46:14 PM »

Bumping this back up as we are now less than two months until the event. Still looking for more volunteers to help kids out on the pier etc.

Buck_wife

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 11:54:56 AM »

so.....one is going to camp for sure, and won't be leaving until the last weekend in July, but..........the middle 2 are on a waiting list and could get a call right up until the day before camp starts and the travel day for the first intake is July 10.  :o The kids can say yes or no if they still want to go or not. Or they may not even get a call at all, its all up in the air. (DND for ya)
Will keep you updated closer to the event. :)

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 01:39:45 PM »

Rodney,

Im looking to do some volunteering this summer do you still need volunteers?

Dave.