Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you participating in 2009's Boxing Day Vedder River Steelhead Derby?

Yes!
- 25 (31.6%)
No.
- 38 (48.1%)
Maybe
- 16 (20.3%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Voting closed: December 26, 2009, 12:29:06 PM

Author Topic: 2009 Annual Boxing Day Steelhead Derby On The Chilliwack Vedder River  (Read 24668 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: 2009 Annual Boxing Day Steelhead Derby On The Chilliwack Vedder River
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2009, 06:41:50 PM »

A recap of 2009 derby.

266 anglers entered bringing in 10 fish to the scales. Other reports of several wild fish, hatchery steelhead taken by those not in the derby and of course reports by some that say they lost a derby winner. ;D

Ist place and winner of the Ferguson Furnell Perpetual Trophy first awarded in 1938 and won that year by Carl Wilson that year with a 12 pound 9 ounce fish.

2009 winner Peter McPherson: 14.31

Second Gary Johnson: 13.01

Third Glenn Rawkor: 11.76

Fourth Ken Edmondson: 11.74

Fifth Tristan Sommi: 11.05

Hidden Weight Donald Jacques: 9.66

First Fish Weighted in: Travis Vanleeuwen 6.25 pounds at 8:17 AM, 23 minutes ahead of the second fish weighted in. Vanleeuwen's also
was the smallest fish of the derby making him a double winner.
 Please excuse any names spelled incorrectly as list was a bit hard to read.

U tube  video of the derby coming up later this evening.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2009, 08:17:39 PM »

Peter is one of the nicest guy you want to meet. Congratulations to him.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2009, 09:16:16 PM »

A short report on my derby experience.
 I did not get an early start as I was recovering from celebrating Christmas Day although the action I had yesterday had me enthused somewhat. I am hoping of course maybe I could land my 3rd Boxing Day Derby Steelhead. I am not sure how many times I have entered but it would be around 10 I guess. I also thought of the time I had lost 3 on derby day including breaking a good sized fish off, above the float too. :-[ That year I did not get an early start as I was helping selling derby tickets at the clubhouse.

I arrive at the club house to get my ticket around 8:35 and Travis was there already with a fish hanging on the board, the first fish weighted in at 8:17 hitting the scales at 6.25 pounds. I have just got my ticket and in comes two fish in short order with Gary's nice fish at 13.01, the time is 8:40 with Ken a couple of minutes behind with a 11.74 fish. Boy maybe the early bird does get the worm after all. The good news looks like it may be a banner derby. I snap a photo of Ken's fish being weighted by Clive and then I head to "The Point" for a great buffet breakfast for only $8.50, senior rate. ;D A number of other anglers are taking a break from fishing and are enjoying the fine array of foods. Make sure you drop in when out fishing that way, I am sure you will not be disappointed in the food they are serving. While I eat another angler comes in and he has a fish too. Shortly after that I hear Pete has also one that turns out to be the winner.

Wow 5 fish and it is only maybe 2 hours into the derby. I gobble the rest of my breakfast in a hurry now and out the door I go, with steelhead on my mind.

I arrive at the scene of yesterday's action and see a good number of anglers on the flow but none in where I had the fish on yesterday but I am sure it has been fished before I have arrived. I fish another run first using prawn tails for starters. I then move with great anticipation to the hot spot but after fishing it up and down with the prawns and roe bags the Maple Leaf Drennan did not even wiggle. I phone The Master to see he is fishing but is after webfeet on the Fraser. It certainly is a nice day to be either fishing or hunting. It is fairly warm as the guides are not freezing up but the wind makes it feel a bit cooler than it really is. Many non fishing families are enjoying walking along the river trails and gravel bars, another great way to celebrate the Christmas season. You certainly donot have to be an angler to enjoy our precious rivers.

Pistol Pete who had called earlier comes down from up river with the same success as me. He decides to try down by the Hydro Bridge while I move to some runs below the so called Hot Spot. The runs turn out to be non hot too but one angler said he saw one taken on the "other side". I talk to a few others who have seen nothing but heard rumours of a wild and hatchery taken "down further".

I reverse fields and head back from where I started and fish the runs again. A chap on the other side said he was now fishing where Pete got his. Of course it was on the "other side" from where I was fishing but it looks like I am in the right area to be fishing.

Time is closing in to the derby deadline of 2 so as I want to be there to get some pictures and video I head towards the dyke and the Leaf Mobile. But first I try a side stream on the way out and just before I make my last cast I see a glimmer of light reflecting off something, I think it must be a blade or spoon lying on the bank that someone had lost. On the way out I climb down the bank from the trail to check it out. It turned out to be a fairly expensive watch so if you lost one on the river give me a shout.

I get back to the clubhouse right at the derby deadline but of course It does not matter as I have no fish to weight in. I head to the board and see there is 10 fish ,less than I thought after seeing 6 brought in first thing. Pete McPherson has wrapped up first place which is nice to see as he has worked so hard on so many fishing issues over the years I have known him. Of course most of you know him too after his many years working in Fred's Custom Tackle in Vedder Crosssing. Pete is not only a top rod but one great guy.

I film a bit of of his fishing story for u tube and also some pictures with his Kingfish and the coveted Ferguson Furnell Trophy with so much history behind it, dating back to 1938. Many great angler's names are on it, many now sadly gone to the happy fishing grounds in the heavens above. Reading those names on the trophy bring back memories of them to many of us as they were fishing partners and dear friends.

The award ceremonies are ready to go and a good crowd is in attendance and when Pete gets his awards he is a popular winner. Paul the Chilliwack Fish Game and Protective Association's President is handing out the trophies and the prizes and there is lots of them. I even get my name drawn for a $50 gift card which was great as I can use it for a New Years dinner with my wife.

Thanks to Paul and his committee for putting on a great derby and a good sum of money will once again go to fish enhancement projects.

When I leave to catch the hockey game the prize draws are still going on, I think a good number of those that entered and came to the clubhouse won something.

I was not lucky to catch a fish but a watch and a $50 gift certificate was OK too. Of course meeting some old fishing friends and members of FWR was great too. Maybe next year you or I will join that elite group of anglers including now Pete McPherson on the Ferguson Furnell Trophy.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 01:23:20 AM by Rodney »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2009, 11:22:50 AM »

I had a large comedy of errors yesterday. I never sleep past 5, more than enough time to get there from North Van. 6:15 I woke up. I tossed my rod and grabbed my vest and hit it. Around about Abottsford it struck me - no waders. Forget about it. I'm nearly there. Got off at Lickman and drove to the foot to get the instructions. I drove over to Fred's to get a ticket. And buy a toque to cover my bald head. Fred's will be getting more of my business with that very kind offer to loan me waders. Go back, get ticket punched. I decided to go up top and work my way down. The slab was fairly busy, but I spotted a tasty looking empty place at the top of Allison. I got out and realized that I had grabbed the wrong vest in my fog induced rapid departure that morning. There was still a few spoons to try, so what the heck. I put everything together and I was just about to head down to the river when it hit me - pen and license. The pen was no issue, but the license was the deal breaker. That stupid full page sheet license wallet stuffer  has GOTTA go. :(  Sadly, I packed up and went to Canadian Tire with the gift card I got for Christmas. No luck there either.
But on the bright side, I went to the game with my son and got a mini Canucks jersey for his shiny new 3 day old daughter ( My first Grandchild  :) :) :) )
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:25:38 AM by Novabonker »
http://

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2009, 02:58:05 PM »

Awesome Day to be on the river on boxing day,good to see some nice fish taken on derby day,as for me i headed to the spot i hit my first of the year on last Saturday ,the water was perfect ,i fished several fishy looking runs but the fish weren't home,congrats to all the lucky winners and thanks to Chris for all the pics and updates. :)
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

jon5hill

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2009, 04:08:10 PM »

At 4:00AM my alarm clock sounded, albeit uselessly as my eyes were wide open and I was intently staring at the roof waiting for it. I dressed for the departure and soon enough Joe and I were on the road to the Derby.

Being our first kick at the can, Joe and I weren't sure what to expect in terms of numbers of fish entered, number of anglers, but we were first at the clubhouse at 5:40 in the morning ready. I walked into the room with the trophy case, stared intensely into it. I felt like I was now in over my head. I had just entered a guild of unrelenting men who, in the pursuit of the steelhead, are very willing and eager to fish in whatever weather mother nature throws at them. The steelhead has a way of changing us. It at first convinces the angler that they share some unique bond with it that no other angler could parallel or even begin to understand. When I entered that trophy room and saw the Ferguson Furnell trophy I immediately recognized my insignificance in the endeavor. 65 names etched carefully into it, representing 65 different people who for all I know had a much more severe case of steelhead fever than I.

Asking several of the senior members of the club how many fish are typical of a derby I was astonished to get estimates of between 6 and 30, and numbers of anglers in the range of 200-300. Such an intense effort is expended by so many fishermen in the pursuit of these silver ghosts, yet yielding a remarkably few number of fish. This is concerning for me, as it's a pretty consistent indication of steelhead numbers, and my concern for salmonid species extends into my career as well as my angling life. However it also adds a degree of exclusivity to the event, turning any entry by an angler of a fish into the derby for subsequent measurement and analysis a rare and privileged affair.

Being relatively new to angling I was certain that although I had success in the spring, my cards were not going to be so hot this time of year. And they weren't. Joe and I fished a couple of runs at Peach Road for nearly 7 hours straight, using mainly shrimp and jigs. It may have been a strategic error to stay in the same general area all day, but I had consistent success at the very same run earlier in the spring and had confidence in its productivity. On the way home I began thinking how this event will change my life in the future, and I realized that it's like another Christmas, but better. After all is said and done, I am glad to have participated in the derby, and will continue to do so until I am fortunate enough to join the ranks of Ferguson Furnell, Peter Mcpherson and the other 64 anglers represented by the coveted King Fisher prize.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2009, 04:50:54 PM »

Nicely written jon5hill. You keep at it like you did on derby day and you will definitely connect with some steelhead in the very near future. Of course the secret is just to find where they are and once you get your first one more will follow. They are willing biters, better I find than salmon in fresh water. Of course what makes it harder to hook one is there is just not as many steelhead returning each year to the Chilliwack Vedder River.

cohopk

« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2009, 09:38:59 PM »

I don't post often and contrary to my profile I have been watching this forum since the inception of FWR. I am only speaking up in order too have something good made greater and too raise an issue that I and others are having with this derby. My purpose of this post is not to be negative or harsh but I am worried about the reputation that the derby is losing and this is the only way I can express my disappointment and suspicions.

I have been apart of the derby for a few years now and I look forward to this derby all year long. I am a huge fan of the Chilliwack Rod and Gun club and their work. I believe in what they are trying to accomplish with this derby and so do my fishing friends. I have been fishing on the vedder for about 18 years now and if I can help in any way then I will try my best.

With the lack of funding from the Federal and Provincial governments in part due to the economy I believe that funding needs to be stepped up from the locals with out just handing over money. I can appreciate now more than in years past how difficult it can be to raise monies to fund important projects that are vital to improving a fishery on a highly pressurized system such as the vedder. But I for one want something from the monies that I hand over. So first, I want to thank the volunteers of the Rod and Gun club because without there help we would have nothing. I recognize there efforts year after year! Thank you!

But for the real reason that I have written this. I come to this derby year after year to challenge what I have learned and practise from the year previous as though I am in a very competitive on going tourney and this derby is my final exam. Yes I know at the end if the day it’s all for fun and for the Rod and Gun club. But I enjoy the challenge of knowing that all the best are at this derby and they are as motivated as I am. And year after year the best on the West Coast comes out to challenge this purpose. That is up until the past couple of years.

But here where it gets me, if 2 to 4 hundred guys continually enter the biggest drift derby on the West Coast and if this is the most difficult derby. Then why is there not a bigger addendum for appropriate sponsorship and advertising? It stuns many of us, out of the these 2 to 4 hundred fishermen and fisherwoman 60% or higher hold a well branded name of waders, rods and gear and we get it from only a hand full of locations then why is there such a pitiful to non existence of representation from these companies. I know that when I was a rep for a well respected company in my past industry I was mandated to get out to venues much like this derby to set up a booth for assistance on our products and to sell equipment that was just entering the market or to move product that we wanted off our floors.

Myself and many others question is “why are the prizes and incentives dropping for the past couple of years”, and “will this lead to decline in the kind of derby many of us thought this derby was about”? The answer right now sounds as though if you do not catch a fish then just go home because there is nothing at the club house to go. And then the R&G club miss out on the need fund raisers such as 50/50, food, and other activities and I find this disturbing. Would it not be wise to attract those companies to retain guys at the club house and therefore raise more money?

I hope this posting is not looked as a rant but as a submission of what I have been hearing from others. And in hopes that somehow more can be offered and that the derby and the purpose get the bar raised.

greybark

« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2009, 10:23:15 PM »

Hey Cohopk , You hit the nail on the head and provided the solution .  :) Manufactures booths and Displays ( Lamiglass , Molson etc ;)
   Cheers

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2009, 10:33:15 PM »

Maybe you can make that a project for yourself during the next year. Write emails, make phone calls to these companies and give them the details on how many fishermen attend this annual derby. Maybe some of them just dont know? Have you spoken to the organizers of the event asking them if this is something that they want to encourage? Someone needs to take the bull by the horns and it seems as though you have the passion, so take that passion and make it a reality.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2009, 11:13:40 PM »

Cohopk  If you feel changes need to be made  to the derby and if you are not a member of the Chilliwack Fish Game and Protective Association I would take the liberty to suggest you join and get on the executive. I am sure help is always needed in helping run the club and the derby. By doing so you can work towards and promoting what you are suggesting in your post.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2009, 04:24:27 PM »

Good point with the lack of sponsorship. This is always a challenge for any volunteer-based organization. Being involved with several events currently and in the past, I know the exact reasons of this. Local businesses are pounded with requests regularly and while many are more than happy to help, they are running a business after all, not a charity, so there is only so much to hand out. Top name brands are incredibly hard to get in touch with unless you already have the contacts, usually they require you to ask well in advance. Thirdly, volunteers are hard to find, and existing volunteers are often worn out from doing the leg work. I personally dislike seeking sponsorship. It's almost like begging, not even for yourself.

For the event Fish for the Future that I run each July, I no longer expend the time to beg for prizes except going to two or three very sources that I can totally rely on because they personally know me well. The rest of the money used to fund this event comes from a small portion that subscribers pay on this website. It works fine, no hassle and each year the event runs smoothly.

With derbies that have a long history, I don't actually think larger prizes would draw out more top anglers. It may attract more anglers, but those who are on top of the game would already be in the derby regardless what prizes are on the list. It's the title that they are after, not prizes, especially when they already spent the money on top gear.

Buck_wife

« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2009, 09:27:01 PM »

so THAT's why you find young volunteers with young families....they don't tire as easily, and you have high hopes of 'conning' the young ones into volunteering for future events...... ;D :D ;)