Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you participating in 2009's Boxing Day Vedder River Steelhead Derby?

Yes!
- 25 (31.6%)
No.
- 38 (48.1%)
Maybe
- 16 (20.3%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Voting closed: December 26, 2009, 12:29:06 PM

Author Topic: 2009 Annual Boxing Day Steelhead Derby On The Chilliwack Vedder River  (Read 24631 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/boxingdayderby

Talked to Paul from the Chilliwack Fish And Game Protective Association tonight and plans are well on the way for this years derby. More info to follow as it is made available.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 12:27:10 PM by Rodney »

searun17

• Old Timer
Re: 2009 Annual Boxing Day Steelhead Derby On The Chilliwack Vedder River
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 09:44:32 PM »

Good to hear Chris,hope to see you out there this year.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 12:24:52 AM »

Talked to Paul from the Chilliwack Fish And Game Protective Association tonight and plans are well on the way for this years derby. More info to follow as it is made available.

When Paul is ready, please have him emailing me so I can put the info up in the news section too.

I always make sure that I miss this event each year so I don't steal the title from the rest of you, of course... ;D

Good luck to those who are participating.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 12:28:02 PM »

Bumping it up. Derby info is now available:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/boxingdayderby

jon5hill

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 12:42:15 PM »

My grandpa won this derby in the Archie Nelmes era, about 50-60 years ago. When I was 15 my grandpa died. He had alzheimers and I wasn't able to learn much from him in regards to fishing. He owned a restaurant in Chilliwack for a number of years in the 60's/70's called Cottonwood Corners which was a major hub for Vedder river fisherman. My dad gave me his old centerpin reel when I was about 8 years old. I managed to get sand in it and ruin it before I ever understood how sweet centerpin reels are, and before I ever realized how much sentimental value it would have. The reel is a seldex, and it's been in repair at Sea Run since the summer. If there is one thing on earth that I'd like is to win this derby with that reel. It's going to be my first year trying, and from what I hear a lot of guys go out and not so many fish come back. I've been steelhead fishing a total of 4 times in my life and have managed to land at least one each trip, so hopefully my luck continues this boxing day and my grandpa can live vicariously through me and his reel, of course.

I'll be there with bells on.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 12:59:47 PM »

One a trip? Thats a great record.
Last year was my second year and I was lucky to get a fish on about 70% of my trips which is normally considered pretty good  :o
What river were you fishing and at what time of year  ???
The Vedder normally doesn't have very many fish kicking around in December, and it's very cold so you need to get whatever you have on right in front of them.

Good luck though...
Im home for 3 weeks starting the 17th so I MIGHT just have to enter it again this year  ;D If not I'll still be up for a peek and the auction.
Best of luck to everyone involved!

Cheers,
Dan

jon5hill

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 01:12:29 PM »

My trips were all this year April 11th, 18th, 25th, and the last day of the season, April 30.

April 11 - I got into a colored fish right after Alison pool in the fast water before the river widens out and turns. It was around 7 lb but wild.

April 18, 25, and 30th - I got a 8lb hatchery, 5-7 lb wild, a wild and a 6 lb hatchery fish, respectively. All of these fish were caught in the exact same spot in the lower runs. I first casted my last hatchery fish on April 30th and then watched my friend fish for 8 solid hours until he got fed up and we went home.

I'm really lucky I think

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 03:20:24 PM »

Yes lucky but also...
By April fish have been piling into the river every single day. It is also alot warmer so fish will move alot further for a presentation.
Believe me when I say Dec-Feb are alot harder to come by fish.
March and April are the fun months, not uncommon for some people to get 5 or more fish days.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 03:30:06 PM »

Glad to see another derby upcoming. They do a great job and have enjoyed it the last 4 years of competing. I am going to land a hatch fish this year I know it. Hey ED my only landed fish came on boxing day so does that mean I am a great steelheader ;D ;D I have lost my fair share but this years going to be different ;) Anyway got a little off topic there so as I was saying that trophy's mine and everybody might as well stay home ;D
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

bmj9

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 04:15:13 PM »

Heh jon5hill,
Cool story about your grampa, and reel. I was first  was first introduced to Fred senior at the old store across the river when I was 5. That was just under 51 years ago. I also had a bunch of great fishing on the Vedder, but now live in Prince Rupert, so won't make the derby. I truly hope you get your steelhead on the 26th.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 04:25:24 PM »

I have entered the derby a few times but because I covered the derby for the Chilliwack Progress for a few years I always kidded people I did not want to have to write about myself winning it so I did not enter that many times. ;D Saying that I did end up writing about my son winning it a few years ago with a fish a bit over 15 pounds.

I have entered 2 smaller fish in the few times I have taken part and one year I lost 3 on derby day including breaking a big one off. :'(

It certainly would be great to hoist the Ferguson and Furnell Trophy that goes way back in history, 1938 and has been won by so many top steelhead anglers.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 04:31:06 PM by chris gadsden »

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 04:30:51 PM »

I have entered the derby a few times but because I covered the derby for the Chilliwack Progress for a few years I always kidded people I did not want to have to write about myself winning it so did not enter that many times. ;D Saying that I did end up writing about my son winning it a few years ago with a fish a bit over 15 pounds.

I have entered 2 smaller fish in the few times I have taken part and one year I lost 3 on derby day including breaking a big one off. :'(

...Cocky.... wasnt it 99 when your son won?
The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 04:33:02 PM »

...Cocky.... wasnt it 99 when your son won?
2000, 15.90 pounds.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 04:39:26 PM »

Did you do a write up for his derby win? I would like to heard about it, It will keep us pumped while we wait a little longer.
The Bigger The Better!

jon5hill

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 05:09:38 PM »

Heh jon5hill,
Cool story about your grampa, and reel. I was first  was first introduced to Fred senior at the old store across the river when I was 5. That was just under 51 years ago. I also had a bunch of great fishing on the Vedder, but now live in Prince Rupert, so won't make the derby. I truly hope you get your steelhead on the 26th.

Thanks so much, I appreciate it!