Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any suggestion on 4x4?  (Read 16115 times)

tuna

Re: Any suggestion on 4x4?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 08:45:23 AM »

Promise you 80% of the Toyotas are going to be more reliable than 80% of Jeeps.  Reliably issues aside, you can barely fit a fishing rod in a YJ/TJ/Wrangler, the short wheel base make them directionally-challenged on anything slippery compared to a longer wheel base truck.  They're also noisy, ride badly, are harsh on gas (with the better, 4.0L engine).  I used to want to buy a Wrangler, but those are the reasons I bought a Toyota instead.

As for the rust issue, its hard to find a rust-free Toyota for less than $2-3K, but under 5k should be easy.  Besides, a little rust never left anyone stranded like a slipping transmission or a broken rear axle did. ;D

That engine, as does the 3.0L v6 Toyota made to compete, uses a tonne of gas.  The 3.0 Nissan is slightly more reliable from what I've heard.  The 4 cyl Toyota 22RE engine gets me 18mpg average in the city, 22 hwy (got 27mpg once).
well I would like to see that yes it is true the toyotas don't give you as many small problems as jeeps ..... but alot mor bigger problems their preasure systems suck !!!! they have reel crapy suspensions exceptions being there old solid axels so think about it are you just looking for transportation or a go anywhere 4x4 why do you think jeep tjs come stock with solid axels becuase they look pretty  :D :D :D :D :D :D you need those for reel rough stuffff

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 09:30:20 AM »

Do you need a solid axle for the rough stuff?  Really?   Are your Dana 35's that much stronger?  Nope.  The Jeeps have maneuverability on their side, but not much else.  He's trying to get into some fishing spots, not crawl the Rubicon- solid axle flex not needed.  Do tell me how 4Runner suspension sucks...  Toyota IFS is about as tough as they get.  I hit a 13" tall boulder where I have 12" under my A-arm after a long day on the trail after a hard nigh at about 15km/h- bounced me up a good foot in the air.  Alignment checked out fine, frame was fine, paint was scraped though- t-bar IFS weak?

BUT all this is irrelevant seeing as the OP wants a truck for snowy roads, and the 4Runner is going to be better there.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 12:49:41 PM by Matt »

Brian

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 10:08:56 AM »

Best vehicle for all 'round use would be a 97+ 4Runner.  However, it's a bit more than your $5k budget.  They start around $8k but are dead nuts reliable.

They are roomy, have good power and excellent towing capacity, aren't horrible on gas (unless you beat the heck out of them), and don't cost much to maintain.

If you want to 4wheel it, you'll want a Limited with the rear locker.

Flip the rear seats down, you can sleep in the back when you go steelheading in somewhat remote locales.

The older 4Runners are okay, but they're old.  The 3.0L engine vehicles should be avoided at all costs.  The 4cyl (22RE) are okay, but you'll find that the newer 5VZ (1997-2003 3.4L) 4Runners are way better in every single way imagineable.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 10:14:19 AM by Brian »

glog

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 12:49:23 PM »

I'm on my 4th forerunner lease and just love them. I've taken them just about everywhere on back roads,  summer winter and fall. Just about covered every back round around lower mainland in past 12 years. Not a single problem.

last year in Idaho, it snowed 1 foot overnight forerunner was able to get around the back roads, no problem at all. The four pickp trucks (varied makes) other guys had all kept getting stuck due to spin outs. They tried putting weight in the back but still didnt do the job.

With its low centre of gravity the forerunner can walk up any hill.  Good on ice too. Make sure you get the 17 inch tires at least.Older models may have 16 inch which reduces ground clearance.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 12:56:13 PM »

you mean 4Runner haha

The rim size is just the size of the inside diameter of the donut (tire).  The outside diameter is what matters.  If fact, a 15" rim gives more clearance between the relatively easily-damaged rim and the ground.  15" tires don't fit on later 4Runners because they will contact the brake calipers.  For road snow, the taller and narrower the tire, the better the grip.  a 235/85r16 snow tire would be wicked for your application as long as you don't mind a bit of a rougher ride (load range E has stiff sidewalls).  Its only when the snow is really deep (ie: you shouldn't be going without a buddy and a winch) that you might need a wider tire at cost of ice/ packed snow/ wet road traction.

yakideath12

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009, 02:32:54 PM »

It seems Toyota vs jeep now which is more cheaper to fix ? 

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2009, 02:41:35 PM »

Yaki if you are not planning on going off road (something most posters seem to have missed??) you certainly don't need a truck or a jeep.  The VERY best winter/mild off road vehicle I've owned (and I've had everything from landcruisers to pickups) was neither of these, it was a subaru impreza.  Hands down, for snow up to a half foot deep it outperformed all the others....and on ice, no comparison.  It was an awesome vehicle that got me where I needed to go (except tougher 4x4ing) every time.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2009, 03:26:03 PM »

Alot of toyota fans in here, I always find it funny when a guy who owns a 4runner calls it a 'forerunner'. Hey, the older toyotas may be rust buckets, but like Matt said they will never let you down...
The Bigger The Better!

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2009, 04:05:06 PM »

Toyota.  Fewer repairs will be needed and when you do need a new part, you can buy parts used from a wrecker for a fraction of the dealer or Lordco price.  I upgraded to a lower ratio rear diff out of a truck with 300 000km, and its still fine.  Got it for $150 from a wrecker vs $1000+++ from the dealer.

Yaki if you are not planning on going off road (something most posters seem to have missed??) you certainly don't need a truck or a jeep.  The VERY best winter/mild off road vehicle I've owned (and I've had everything from landcruisers to pickups) was neither of these, it was a subaru impreza.  Hands down, for snow up to a half foot deep it outperformed all the others....and on ice, no comparison.  It was an awesome vehicle that got me where I needed to go (except tougher 4x4ing) every time.

Good point, AWD cars will be safer and handle better than most trucks most of the time with a set of snow tires.  But as soon as snow piles up deeper than the bumper, you're not moving anywhere in anything but powder obviously.  Trucks are taller off the ground and have more clearance for tire chains.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 04:08:17 PM by Matt »

scotkemp

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2009, 04:26:22 PM »

WHY ALL THE JEEP HATERS

yes the cherokees suck and break alot but thats because people that own cherokee are mentally challenged buy a yj or a tj there close to problem free and garys auto wrecking in maple ridge has a jeep yj and tj only wrecking yard any and all parts for cheap

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2009, 05:10:21 PM »

WHY ALL THE JEEP HATERS

yes the cherokees suck and break alot but thats because people that own cherokee are mentally challenged buy a yj or a tj there close to problem free and garys auto wrecking in maple ridge has a jeep yj and tj only wrecking yard any and all parts for cheap

Scot if you only eat crackers you'll never know how good a cookie tastes :)   There is a very good reason why there are still numbers of 22R toyotas, 4runners and tacomas on the road after 300-400k on them, and an equally good reason why you don't see very many older jeeps around.  Reliability....
It is a fact that jeeps perform well off road (some better than others) but to claim that they are close to problem free....that's just wishy-washy.  Check out some reliability reports from a site like consumerreports.org to begin with.  You may have been lucky with "heeps" but most are not.  Here is just a quick little excerpt from CR....

"The Wrangler is Jeep's smallest, least expensive, and crudest model. It's more comfortable off-road than on, with a choppy ride, numb and slow steering, and clumsy handling. Noise is loud and constant. The 2001 model features a quieter, better-padded convertible top. A four-speed automatic arrived for 2003, replacing the old three-speed unit. A long-wheelbase Unlimited model was added for 2005, featuring more cargo space and slightly more legroom in the back seat. Otherwise, the ride was still dreadful and the steering imprecise. For 2007 a redesigned, and more civil, Wrangler arrived. It has improved ride and handling, but had low cornering limits and vague handling. The 3.8-liter V6 lacks punch and returns just 15 mpg overall."

Every year besides 2001 is dotted with "black spots" in CR..... (that's bad!)  The 01's seem to have better reliability than other years but still, see above... It's a REAL stretch to call a jeep reliable.

Brian

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2009, 05:18:16 PM »

It's not a matter of what's cheaper to fix, it's the cost of ownership.

If the thing doesn't break much, there won't be much fixing, now will there?

When you're done with your 4Runner, if you don't smash it up, you can sell it for a lot more than you can get for the Jeep.

Test drive them and see which one you like better.

WHY ALL THE JEEP HATERS

I don't hate Jeeps, but I do tug them out of awkward places all the time due to broken drivelines and people being stupid with the skinny pedal.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2009, 06:32:01 PM »

I don't think anyone hates Jeeps, just Jeep problems.  I used to want a YJ actually.  In theory, the should be fun but the execution is lousy and they're about as practical as a Walmart ride-on-mower for a winter vehicle.

Claims like "Jeeps are as reliable" or "you need a solid front axle for rough stuff (like road snow  ???)" are just plain incorrect, so they're being corrected.

Also, as stated before, have fun fitting a buddy and a couple drift rod in a YJ/TJ.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 06:35:41 PM by Matt »

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2009, 07:12:47 PM »

i have a nissan xterra 2004....4x4 power and awesome engine 3.3 v6. good height and suspension. no problems at all with this suv. a 2000 or 2001 would be available around 6-7 grand if you are interested. i would say a 4runner is better but its alway gonna cost more for a toyota. :)

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2009, 07:27:56 PM »

i have a nissan xterra 2004....4x4 power and awesome engine 3.3 v6. good height and suspension. no problems at all with this suv. a 2000 or 2001 would be available around 6-7 grand if you are interested. i would say a 4runner is better but its alway gonna cost more for a toyota. :)

my brother has one of these as well and we beat the hell out of it before bringing it back to it's REAL owner, washed and no worse for wear (his wife owns it)  :)

TIRES TOO......they will make a huge difference on whatever you buy...probably more than the vehicle itself for snow/ice.  I've run the michelin latitude x-ices on the taco and my wifes pilot for a few years now, excellent tires and they wear very well if you change them out after winter.  Makes my toyo ATs feel like they're coated with teflon on the slippery stuff. So whatever you do, get good tires...those roads can get slick.