Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any suggestion on 4x4?  (Read 16116 times)

yakideath12

Any suggestion on 4x4?
« on: October 22, 2009, 09:35:38 PM »

im planing to buy a 4x4 for fishing. Im thinking $5k max. Any suggestion? ???

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Any suggestion on 4x4?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 09:44:43 PM »

toyota 4 runner or toyota pickup thats already raised up. just make sure the lift and any extras done to any vehicle was done professionally  ;)

dont get me wrong i love my Ram 4x4 but if i was going to buy something older i would go toyota hands down.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 09:49:03 PM »

I like the 4runners, I have owned a first generation 4runner and loved it. The 4cly 22re are known to go forever, Iv seen many hit the 400 thous km mark. Well Im basically a 4runner lover, I have done jeeps but they seem to always go through problems, but they are well priced.  Keep checking out craigslist for the right one to come around, good luck, I hate car hunting...
The Bigger The Better!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 09:54:26 PM »

Yakideath - there is a guy selling a jacked Jeep ( i think Cherokee) by my place. i think he is asking $2500. not sure if he still has it because i saw this on sunday when i drove by  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

scotkemp

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 10:04:51 PM »

4 runners are rust buckets and cherokees blow bull balls only buy a jeep yj or tj the engines are bullet proof owned a yj for 7 years and a tj for 3 which i have now honestly in 10 years ive put a steering box 300$ and tires and rims 2500$ and regular maintenance

scotkemp

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 10:06:16 PM »

oh yeah buy stock because any jeep that is lifted with big tires the truth is more than likely its been riddin rough off road why else would you lift it with tires.

yakideath12

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 10:13:11 PM »

4 runners are rust buckets and cherokees blow bull balls only buy a jeep yj or tj the engines are bullet proof owned a yj for 7 years and a tj for 3 which i have now honestly in 10 years ive put a steering box 300$ and tires and rims 2500$ and regular maintenance

what model is ur YJ?

yakideath12

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 10:15:25 PM »

how about suzuki sidekick?

I dont really wanna go off road... just something that I can drive to chilliwack at winter....last year was nightmare for me ( my car is rear wheel drive)

scotkemp

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 10:30:53 PM »

i had a 92 yj it was great not i have a 2000 tj theres only one kind

1987-95 jeep yj
1995-2006 jeep tj
2006 -present jeep jk

there all wranglers there all the same just model upgrades, go for the 4.0 litre not the 2.5 litre the 2.5 has no balls what so ever and youll barely reach a 100kmh

suzuki sidekicks and trackers are my smelly socks there crap that breaks all the time

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 10:40:32 PM »

Just like Hook I love my Dodge Ram but its a 2005 and not in your price range. I would also suggest a used Toyota. I would go for a pick up rather than a 4 Runner though. If its just for 4x4'ing and off roading go with the Toyota pickup.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Sinaran

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 11:24:35 PM »

I would suggest a Nissan Pathfinder.  5K would get u a second gen(90-95) that came with 3.0 V6, an award winning engine that was known to go forever too.  the 4X4 was sweet.
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 12:45:24 AM »

4Runner or Toyota Pickup with a 22RE.  Pretty much indestructible, reliable, comfortable, fuel efficient cheap available parts if needed, fun to drive, handles well for a 4x4, enough power and it goes anywhere.  It has room enough for a 6' tall guy to sleep in the back, comfortably slept me a girlfriend.  I've slept three people in the back actually once in a pinch.

Pathfinders might be a good bet, but they're not as common and a bit harder to find used parts for.  The Isuzu Trooper would also be a good bet.  IF you're looking for a truck might look at Nissan as well.

I don't own a Jeep, but the 4 guys I know with Jeeps are always having problems- one is parked with a slipping transmission (Cherokee), another won't engage 4wd (Cherokee), the third used up $20 in gas in 120km (again, Cherokee) fourth was sold because it wouldn't engage 4wd.  They all have an abundance of electrical issues they my Toyota wouldn't dream of putting me through and all feel really cheaply built, just like the rest of the domestics IMO.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 12:54:03 AM by Matt »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 12:46:11 AM »

If winter snow condition is what you need 4x4 for, then pickup is not a good choice as it's too light at the rear.  You'll find your tail skidding, unless you weight it down.  Pathfinder is actually a good choice but it's turning radius is huge that's probably the only down side.  You might want to look at Jimmy also it's good in snow/mud.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 01:13:51 AM »

Promise you 80% of the Toyotas are going to be more reliable than 80% of Jeeps.  Reliably issues aside, you can barely fit a fishing rod in a YJ/TJ/Wrangler, the short wheel base make them directionally-challenged on anything slippery compared to a longer wheel base truck.  They're also noisy, ride badly, are harsh on gas (with the better, 4.0L engine).  I used to want to buy a Wrangler, but those are the reasons I bought a Toyota instead.

As for the rust issue, its hard to find a rust-free Toyota for less than $2-3K, but under 5k should be easy.  Besides, a little rust never left anyone stranded like a slipping transmission or a broken rear axle did. ;D

I would suggest a Nissan Pathfinder.  5K would get u a second gen(90-95) that came with 3.0 V6, an award winning engine that was known to go forever too.  the 4X4 was sweet.

That engine, as does the 3.0L v6 Toyota made to compete, uses a tonne of gas.  The 3.0 Nissan is slightly more reliable from what I've heard.  The 4 cyl Toyota 22RE engine gets me 18mpg average in the city, 22 hwy (got 27mpg once).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 01:19:19 AM by Matt »

tuna

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 07:01:16 AM »

I would have to say a jeep hands down  easy to fix cheap parts and the frame won't rust through , have had 3 jeeps 1 cj ( the only one I had any real problems with) then a yj and now a 2003 tj have only replaced the rad on all of them lifted and all of them off roaded hard love them period take the roof off in the summer - would like to see a toyota pickup do that  plus the toyota parts are crazy expensive and yes they do have their faults ie water pumps , alternators and timing belts  see I offroad with a few guys that run toyotas  they are good don't get me wrong but parts are expensive :P