Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2007 FWR Steelhead Derby Day Report, January 14th  (Read 19196 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: 2007 FWR Steelhead Derby Day Report, January 14th
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 05:27:48 PM »

Here is the 17lb fish that was not part of the FWR Derby

It was a great day today despite a few mishaps on my part.

The mishaps:

Woke up early, too early. Had breakfast and got my gear together. Packed up my truck and headed up to pick up my derby partners in Abbotsford. I stopped in to get gas and realized I forgot my pro cured shrimp :(

Got my partners and headed to meet at Tim Hortons off Lickman road to pick up our FWR Derby Ticket. We got our tickets now it was time to head to the river. ONce we arrived it was still dark so we chilled out and stayed warm.

OK it was now just after 7am time to put the waders, boots and jacket on. Oh one problem NO BOOTS!!! I forgot my boots at my front door  :unsure: So I had no choice but to use my runners. They fit but my toes were curled up and I was incomfortable all day.

Anyways our group got no steelhead on this day. I did get a dolly on but thats it.

I want to personally thank ThickRick for his efforts in organizing this great event. Many prizes were donated from various people and vendors. For this being put on in only 2 weeks I must say it did not seem like it. Also anyone involved give yourselves a pat on the back for giving back to a river that keeps on giving.

Here are a couple photos from the event

Winning and only fish ( Event organizer Thick Ricks 11.8lb fish ) He had the Karma on this day ;)

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2007, 05:47:50 PM »

A big..well done to his ugliness for putting on such an event...just for the record,...ahh I'll let it go and he can dwell in his much deserved glory...Did a great job, no small event, took care of all the prizes etc. AND gave up his fishing time to set it up and get everything ready...Sassygrams and another lady, (sorry for not knowing your name) were very nice to do the cooking etc. Sassy rode ricks back all day as she was only there to help.. ;)

Nice job everyone who showed up and donated...might not be the biggest wad of cash Rick ever had in his pocket...but it IMHO was an impressive geasture by those on this site....Kudo's to all...

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 05:48:35 PM »

The fishing derby was a resounding success what with the number of people competing, volunteering and participating and I can't wait till next years. Thank you so much Rick for putting this together, you did a great job but I hope next year its not so cold. At least I learned a couple different ways to extricate ice from fishing rod eye holes ;D. Thanks Again To Everybody.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2007, 05:50:31 PM »

Just got back and i am nicely recovering from the frigid temp out there today,regardless it was a great day on the river with good people,good food and good prizes ,thanks rick for taking on this derby and a job well done by you and everyone who pitched ,also it was great to meet and chat face to face with all of you . :) :)
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2007, 05:59:22 PM »

TR must have one alot of prizes.

biggest fish
2nd biggest fish
3rd biggest fish
first fish entered

hahah good job

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2007, 06:05:08 PM »

Haha, no he only took the pin and pin rod...and I stress "ONLY" ;D
Great Derby indeed, once again it was great to put a lot more faces to names!
Throughout the day I fished with Got Fish,Testo and Nuggy.
Always great fishing you two(lmfao!!!) and was great to meet you Winston! To bad your bro couldnt make it out.
As far as we now, your brother did say to go to the run where Ricks landed his fish :P
Anyways, cant wait to keep hard at steelie fishing!

got fish

• 7-11 steelhead
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2007, 06:12:29 PM »

testo and *lil fisherman* are a bunch of goofs ;D :D

great day fishing with you guys!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2007, 06:12:50 PM »

sounds like an excellent day! Congrats rick! Too bad i missed it :'(
weeeeeeeeeow!

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2007, 06:26:11 PM »

hey btw thanks for the door prize to anyone who donates it !

i got a roe sack maker or something
hardware == fish

Ho whacker

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2007, 06:30:11 PM »

Great day indeed. did not get a darn thing but it was a great day on the river non the less ,great to see such a big turnout just woulda been nice to see more fish landed.
Theres no fish in the harrison I swear ;)

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2007, 06:32:12 PM »

Was a great event with an awesome turnout!!! Thanks to Rick and all the volunteers/retailers. The temperature was brutal but was nice once the sun came out and no wind. Pounded lots of nice water on the lower river before the derby and didnt see any fish. After the BBQ and raffle me and my buddy checked out a new piece of river that I have not seen since the river changed to see if anything was happening. There was 2 anglers working the nicest looking piece around and after some patience deciding where to start the 2 guys pack up and leave. We slip into their spots and after covering the water pretty good my drennan is buried. Im thinking it's probably bottom again after having to judge the right depth to fish at but to my excitement I get headshakes and its FISH ON!!! After a good scrap keeping the fish in the current to tire out it starts cartwheeling downriver and straight for a pile of sticks sticking out of the water. I try to put the brakes on to keep it going for that direction and up river but I apply to much pressure and I snap my 10lbs leader like no tomorrow. Drennen and all flying back at my feet. :'( Can't wait to get back again.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2007, 06:44:59 PM »

It was a fun event, and even though the fish weren't cooperating as much as was hoped the food, and hospitality more than made up for it. Hats off to Rick, and the people who volunteered their time and efforts, and the stores and other individuals who donated prizes. Hopefully, this derby can be a yearly event.

Ho whacker

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2007, 06:47:21 PM »

ya the day was almost salvaged but someone (troutslayer) just had to bust that steelie off,but then again at least he had one on ::)
Theres no fish in the harrison I swear ;)

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2007, 07:29:59 PM »

An awesome day at the event that Rick had organized  :) it was nice to meet a lot of the members and was  be able to put faces to the handle names ,   .There were a lot of great prizes and food from everyone donating their time and efforts to make it  happen.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 08:14:42 PM by scruffy »

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2007, 07:37:51 PM »

The bottle of Kalua thrown in with Chris's floats more than made up for a few leaf logos pasted on them.  I'll be sure to wait until the temperature drops another ten degrees before I start using them cause we all know what happens to drennans when you happen to bump them up against a rock in the nasty cold weather. Just kidding, Chris.  Nothing bad about winning drennans.  

In all seriousness, maybe I'll hold onto one of them to use a sig in case I'm in on another Nuk/Leaf bet in the future.  The only problem is I'm a little worried that the plastic might break down before the Leafs do manage to take a game.  Does anyone know how long it takes plastic to decompose??

All in all, had a great day, put some faces to names, and had some tasty food.  Ate something called venison chilly....someone said it was deer meat which is kind of funny because of how alergic I am to it.

Hey Nosey...glad to hear that you like to fish chronies.  Hopefully, the flies will work well for you!