Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Members' studies, occupations, etc  (Read 15930 times)

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
Re: Members' studies, occupations, etc
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2006, 12:26:07 AM »

computer science graduate from UBC and pursuing Bachelor of Technology focusing on Human Computer Interaction ( HCI )

I was working at google as intern for 9 months and then go study again :)

if you search for the departed or jackass 2 postalcode

you will know what am i talking about :)

thanks

wens

hardware == fish

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2006, 12:39:27 AM »

Retired plus an adviser to the Maple Leafs. ;D ;D

So you're the guy who signed Lindros ? ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2006, 12:43:13 AM »

Got 3 points tonight. ;D

frenchy

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2006, 10:11:53 AM »

During my thesis I studied a fungus called Microbotryum violaceum. It is a parasite of plants (caryophyllacea) that replaces the pollen by spores in male plants and transforms the female structures in male like structures infected by spores. M. violaceum is actually a species complex and I investigated the genetic partition of this complex and the evolution of reproductive isolation.

Now I use E. coli as a model to understand the processes of diversification and maintenance of biological diversity. I work with one population of bacteria that diverged in 2 kinds of bacteria from one ancestral population in 1000 generations (150 days). The two evolved types of bacteria show specialization for different kind of carbon sources and I try to see what are the cellular modifications associated with this diversification (mainly comparing gene expressions)

I also work with another kind of E. coli to study the evolution of cooperation. I started an evolution experiment with bacteria cooperating to grow in one environment. Theoretically when there is a lot of cooperation going on (it is not only true for bacteria), a cheater that does not cooperate has an advantage (produces more offspring in my case) compared to the cooperators. Thus you expect the proportion of cheaters to increase. But when there is a lot of cheaters in your population, the cooperators produce more offspring. In my experiment, I want to verify this theory and see if 1. cheaters appear, 2. there is a dynamic in the system (proportion of cheaters and cooperators varying) (I simplified). You can imagine this kind of scenario in biology, economy, sociology...

Concerning observing speciation during a life time, it depends what you consider as a species. When you speak about species with sexual reproduction, you usually consider that you have two species when individuals from the two different groups cannot exchange genes, i.e. evolve independently (they cannot produce viable and fertile offsprings). In bacteria you do not have sex (or very few), so what you consider as species may vary from one peaple to another. I consider that the two types of bacteria I study are different species (they are adapted to different environmental conditions) and this occured in 150 days. The shorter example I know is 7 days... Even in sexual species you may have speciation very quickly....

I talked too much, sorry to bother the ones that are not interested...

Nina, What do you do with your soil microbes?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 11:00:24 AM by frenchy »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2006, 10:15:09 AM »

During my thesis I studied a fungus called Microbotryum violaceum. It is a parasite of plants (caryophyllacea) that replaces the pollen by spores in male plants and transforms the female structures in male like structures infected by spores. M. violaceum is actually a species complex and I investigated the genetic partition of this complex and the evolution of reproductive isolation.

Now I use E. coli as a model to understand the processes of diversification and maintenance of biological diversity. I work with one population of bacteria that diverged in 2 kinds of bacteria from one ancestral population in 1000 generations (150 days). The two evolved types of bacteria show specialization for different kind of carbon sources and I try to see what are the cellular modifications associated with this diversification (mainly comparing gene expressions)

I also work with another kind of E. coli to study the evolution of cooperation. I started an evolution experiment with bacteria cooperating to grow in one environment. Theoretically when there is a lot of cooperation going on (it is not only true for bacteria), a cheater that does not cooperate has an advantage (produces more offspring in my case) compared to the cooperators. Thus you expect the proportion of cheaters to increase. But when there is a lot of cheaters in your population, the cooperators produce more offspring. In my experiment, I want to verify this theory and see if 1. cheaters appear, 2. there is a dynamic in the system (proportion of cheaters and cooperators varying) (I simplified). You can imagine this kind of scenario in biology, economy, sociology...

Concerning observing speciation during a life time, it depends what you consider as a species. When you speak about species with sexual reproduction, you usually consider that you have two species when individuals from the two different groups cannot exchange genes, i.e. evolve independently (they cannot produce viable and fertile offsprings). In bacteria you do not have sex (or very few), so what you consider as species may vary from one peaple to another. I consider that the two types of bacteria I study are different species (they are adapted to different environmental conditions) and this occured in 150 days. The shorter example I know is 7 days... Even in sexual species you may have speciation very quickly....

I talked too much, sorry to bother the ones that are not interested...

So, can you help me pick some local mushrooms? Edible kind - like chantrelles etc :)

frenchy

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2006, 10:18:28 AM »

I was thinking about asking that here too. ::)
I love picking mushrooms in France, but here I do not feel like doing it... Even if they look like the ones that are edible in France, they may be toxic here  :-\

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2006, 10:19:19 AM »

Male exotic dancer at a bar in... oops past history  :D

Worked for 3 years as Director of Finance for the Pacific Salmon Foundation.  Now I'm just a needle in the haystack in GVRD working as the financial analyst for the Water District.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2006, 10:54:16 AM »

Frizzy or split ends? Oil buildup? Excessive curling? Dye failures? Failed conditioner application?

If you have any or all of those problems contact me:

dennisK

Freelance Shampoo Consultant

reasonable hourly rates

James

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2006, 11:16:02 AM »

After high school I went into the Restaurant bus. , I completed 2yrs. of a 3yr. Culinary Apptrentice program , then managed a kitchen for about 2yrs.

Then health issues arose (Arthritis - but I am only 23yrs. old !! ) .

Now I am out of the Food industry ,and going to be taking a Tourism Program in January . Hopefully becoming a Certified Travel Counsellor .

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2006, 11:35:10 AM »

I am an "adult"  movie star  :o ;D

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2006, 11:38:13 AM »

I am an "adult"  movie star  :o ;D
Thats why the fish like you so much. ;D ;D

demco99

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2006, 12:51:42 PM »

James where are you taking this tourism program???  kellya why do you want to go div1?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2006, 01:04:36 PM »

I was thinking about asking that here too. ::)
I love picking mushrooms in France, but here I do not feel like doing it... Even if they look like the ones that are edible in France, they may be toxic here  :-\

There're many that looks alike. it's annoying. Anyways after studying microbs for so long doesn't it make you wonder how the more complex lifeform ever survive so long?  Those microbs can adopt to the environment so fast it's really amazing.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2006, 01:54:14 PM »

Im an animation supervisor at a local studio.  Fun stuff if you can handle idiot producers.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2006, 04:06:23 PM »

Retired plus an adviser to the Maple Leafs. ;D ;D

And you wonder why they always lose? :D :D