Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2006 Summer Danish Journal  (Read 27278 times)

stryker 07

• Piss on work,gotta go fishing
Re: 2006 Summer Danish Journal
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2006, 06:06:48 PM »

Hi Rodney,With all these great pics and reports who needs to travel around the globe?? ;D
These reports make me feel that i was there myself.Have a great holiday with Nina.
Please honey can i go fishing now???

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2006, 02:51:45 PM »

Great reports and awesome photos Rodney!! :o  Keep em coming!! ;) ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2006, 03:16:27 PM »

you are going to be able to write a travel book complete with pics when you get back lol ;D  those are some really nice pics and a couple are now on my computer to become wallpaper .. have a great trip

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2006, 11:43:50 PM »

Ummm... if you don't mind me saying, Rodney, I think it is time that you buy your woman a new jacket?!?!?!  I'm sure she will appreciate it also... lol ;D ;D ;D

Shane

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2006, 05:05:02 PM »

Several journal entries coming up after a week of absence, we have been away for a few days. :)

Bornholm Here We Come!
May 24th, 2006

Last week I finally had a chance to visit Bornholm for several days. Bornholm is a Danish Island that is just south of Sweden. Due to its location, it's a favorite vacation island for countries that surround the Baltic Sea, such as Denmark, Sweden, Poland and Germany. Bornholm is a land of natural, geological and human history. The presence of human on the island dates back several thousands years. Its recent history involves conflict and violence as it has been claimed by several countries over the last one thousand years. Today it is a peaceful northern oasis that is frozen in time.

Here is a map of Bornholm for future references.

To get there, we first had to cross the bridge between Denmark and Sweden. The bridge was opened in the year 2000, second longest in the world. Underneath tbe bridge is a tunnel, where trains travel between the two countries. Crossing this bridge is not cheap, each way's toll costs around $60, but it sure is a lot more convenient than the ferry rides before this connection. The beginning of the bridge takes us through this long tunnel which goes underneath part of the strait. It was probably the nicest tunnel I've ever been in, some of you will get a chance to see it in the video a couple of months from now.

Once in Sweden, the drive to the ferry terminal was about an hour. Sweden countryside is just as pretty, but hillier. Driving in the countryside is indeed a luxury. There isn't a freeway, most of the time we were on a single lane road. Intersections are mostly round-abouts, so you don't lose time by waiting for traffic lights to change.

The ferry ride was pretty sweet. Most people reserve when they choose to take the ferry. At the gate, simply plug in your reservation number and you are set to go. The ferry that we were on looks almost like our retired fast ferries, except it is wider, shorter, and probably faster. ;D Cruising speed of this boat is 70kph. :o

The view of our ferry before docking

Interior of the ferry

The restaurant food was pretty good, but just a bit pricy like everything else in this country. The entire ferry trip took about 1 hour 20 minutes. The ferry took us to a city called Rønne on the western side of Bornholm. The place where we stayed at is located at the northern end of the island, just outside the town called Allinge.

First thing I noticed when driving into Allinge or other small towns on the island was... The streets are super narrow! It was especially exciting when the narrow street also involves a hill. ;) Allinge, like all the other seaside towns, has at least one small harbour. The harbour acts as the centre of the town where people gather. On a sunny day, sitting at a seaside cafe while eating ice cream seems to be every tourist as well as local's favorite activity.

Allinge Harbour

Some shots of Allinge, notice the narrow streets lined with very old houses

The shoreline around Allinge consists of rugged rocky beaches. The water is quite deep from shore and I was told that atlantic cod travel through these waters so catching them from shore is possible. We never did catch a cod because we lacked the gear used for them. Most people use a pretty heavy spincasting or baitcasting outfit and jig a large lure close to the bottom. The first evening we spent a bit of time fly and spin fishing on the rocks. I managed to lose an unknown fish and missed a few bites on both the fly and spinning rods, most likely garfish.

The rocky shoreline

In each seaside town, it's not unusual to see houses with a large chimney. These are the smoke houses. Bornholm is famous for its smoked fish, especially smoked herring.

The story of May 25th to 27th will come later. It's 3am (and the sky outside is already blue!!!) so I am going to bed. ;)

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2006, 11:01:16 PM »

Ummm... if you don't mind me saying, Rodney, I think it is time that you buy your woman a new jacket?!?!?!  I'm sure she will appreciate it also... lol ;D ;D ;D

Shane

Ooh, new fishing jacket, good idea!  ;D

Actually, we have talked for a long time about buying me a fishing jacket. That yellow gortex jacket I use is bad luck when fishing, I tell ya…  ::)

I am sure the reason Rodney wants me to have a new jacket is just so I can carry some more of all his fishing gear when we are out on the rivers. That way he can run off to his favourite fishing holes even faster.  ;)

Of course, I would not settle for anything cheap. Maybe a Simms…?  ;D  ;D

Anyway, we are probably going fishing in a local river this weekend and we might go to Jutland next week to fish for sea trout and graylings. Hopefully, we will get some nice photos of some fish and not so much of churches and other cultural things  ::)

DutchAngler

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2006, 08:56:34 AM »

Hi, Rod and Nina!

You're actually quite close to the Netherlands now. Welcome to Europe!
If you try for Garfish some more, try adding another one or two split rings between lure (spoon) and hook. It tends to improve the hookup ratio dramatically!
Good to see you're having fun!

Greetz,
Peter.

phatwop

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2006, 09:50:19 AM »

Today I Cooked up the two garfish that I brought home yesterday. It is nice to try out some fresh saltwater fish for once instead of the usual trout and salmon. The garfish were seasoned with salt and pepper, grilled in the oven for ten minutes. I was too excited and didn't realize that I needed a photo of the cooked fish until all were in my stomach. ::) They are delicious slightly bony but with some patience it is not too hard to take them out. One unique feature of these garfish is their bones, which are actually green.

how did they taste?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2006, 01:17:49 PM »

The garfish tasted great! I grilled up the ones I caught Asian style with generous amount of salt sprinkled on them. The bones were not too annoying as the big ones were very visible since they are green. The small ones were soft and thin enough to be consumed with the meat.

The following day we had garfish again, this time with Nina's family. The fish were filleted and deboned, covered in egg and breadcrumb, seasoned with salt and pepper, and finally pan fried until golden brown. They were served with potato and a parsley cream sauce. It was fantastic. There'll be videos of the entire preparation in a couple of months in the subscribers section.

Thanks Peter. ;D Your trip to BC is getting very close now, excited I guess. :) When exactly are you fishing with IronNoggin as we will be fishing with him around the last week of July as well. Thanks for the garfish tips. The season for them is pretty much over now. The bulk of the run has passed through but I'm sure there are still some fish left. In July we'll be mostly focusing on freshwater species - Perch, pike, brown trout and grayling. :)

Simms jacket... ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2006, 02:28:08 PM »

Fishless on Bornholm
May 25th, 2006

Bornholm is one of the better places to fish in the Baltic Sea. Its shoreline ranges from steep rock faces to shallow algae beds, meaning a variety of saltwater species are available. Common target species include sea trout, garfish, atlantic cod, sole and herring.

Unfortunately, our timing was slightly off as the best month of sea trout is April. Sea trout are migratory brown trout that spend a portion of their life in the ocean and spawn in coastal streams during the winter months. During early spring, sea trout move along the shallow water and feed as a sudden rise of sea water temperature translates into a boom of food source.

Bormholm also has more than a dozen lakes where fishing is available. A few lakes are free, while a $10 day card/licence is required to fish in the others that are managed by the Bornholm Fishing Association. Daily use fee is common at almost all lakes and streams in Europe, something unheard of in Canada where fishing can be done almost anywhere as long as you have an annual licence. Most of the lakes on Bornholm are inhabited with the typical European freshwater species, these include northern pike, perch, carp, roach, tench and trout if the lake is stream-fed.

Because we were told the coastal beach fishing was just about over, we decided to purchase two days of licences and focus on some lake fishing. Just behind the place where we stayed is the largest lake on Bornholm, called Hammersø. Like every other lake around here, Hammersø has a trail that lines along its shore, so access is convenient. On this day, we woke up to find that the gusty wind had arrived, not unusual for an island that is not sheltered by any other land. We arrived at Hammersø and found waves were pounding along the shoreline, not exactly ideal for fishing. Luckily, the pier sits at the western end was sheltered by the cliff behind it so we could fish on it comfortably.

The lake is pretty heavily structured. The shallows are covered with weed, which would be fantastic for pikes to hide and prey on small fish. Schools of small fish, mostly roach and small perch, constantly swam by as I watched for a few minutes. The water was clear, the sun was shining straight through it, all signs indicated a potentially productive lake.

While Nina was still fiddling with her spinning rod, I made my first cast with a large spinner that has a size 6 french blade on. It only took a few turns before I felt a solid tug at the end of the line. I set the hook immediately and the entire rod was bent to the cork. Finally it appeared to be a good size fish! Nina quickly took the video camera out as the fish made a few hard kicks. I didn't need to hold back and wait for the camera to be turned on, because the fish was gaining line on me. When the camera came on, the dreadful slack suddenly appeared at the end of the line. The fish had freed itself in the weed bed. >:( I guess my date with a large pike was not meant to be. :-\

The only fish we saw in the rest of that morning were the ones milling about by the pier. We called it quit at noon for our lunch and some cultural experience on the island. ::)

Our first stop after lunch was the Baltic Sea Glass. Beside the smoked herring, Bornholm is famous for its production of glass. Its gallery had a display of beautifully designed glasswares, while the glass making process at the studio was fascinating to watch.

Our second stop was Hammershus, one of Northern Europe's largest castle ruins. Built in the 1300s, Hammershus has had a long bloody history. It sits on the highland of the northwestern coast, most likely so enemies could be spotted easily as they approached the island. Today, only a few pieces of the castle remain at this high point.

The view from Hammershus was spectacular. From the coastal side of the ruins, we could see the large waves pounding against the high cliffs. Large herds of sheep could be found grazing on the hill just below the ruins. A series of trails allowed us to walk down the hill. The experience was breathtaking.

In the evening we decided to visit Hammersø again, just to see if it made a difference during low light. ::) It didn't, except a perch that was almost as big as my spinner decided to be friendly with the 2/0 hook.

Just before sun down, we went for a drive. The constant weather change means the colours on this island are always evolving. An amazing view was always waiting for us around the corner.

May 26th comes tomorrow, maybe with more fish. ;)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2006, 05:40:04 PM »

Thanks again for the journel Rod!!  Very interesting read, and great job on the pics, that one of the sunset at the bottom is incredible!! ;D ;D :o
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

DutchAngler

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2006, 02:03:00 AM »

Echo on the pics, wel done!

Yes, Rod, we're just over seven weeks away from our flight. Starting to worry about weight limits and such....  ;)

We booked Randy for August 4th and IronNoggin for the 15th.  8) 8) Absolutely looking forward to that! 

I'm also preparing a website for the trip, I'll post the URL here and on the FishBC forum once the preparations are done.

Have a good time in Denmark!

Peter.

norm_2

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2006, 12:12:02 PM »

Great photos Rod! One thing I notice about the photos is that there are very few people in them.  Is it not tourist season or are there few people there?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2006, 12:37:32 PM »

Good observation and question Norm. As mentioned earlier, Bornholm is a popular tourist destination but it is not peak tourist season yet, not for another month or so when the weather becomes warmer. During our stay, there were places where large crowd of German, Swedish, Danish tourists gathered. I just kind of unconsciously filtered them out of my photographs when I was trying to capture the beauty of the island. ;) It was quite a sight to watch these huge tourist busses, some double deckers, moving down a sloped narrow street to the harbours. :)

DutchAngler

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2006, 06:19:47 AM »

Hey, Rodney, if you need/want some pike streamers I could probably send them to you in a day or so, as you're in Denmark.
You'd need at least a #8 or a spinning rod to cast them: They're fairly bulky. But it's the BEST way (Not the easiest, not the most productive, but the BEST) way to fish for the green monsters.... :) :) :)