Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River Gravel Stewardship Committee Inspects Proposed Gravel Mining Sites  (Read 3641 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

A number of us from the Fraser River Gravel Stewardship Committee went out on the Fraser River yesterday and inspected the proposed gravel mining site for 2013. If you choose to watch these clips I filmed you will get a better understanding of the importance of these gravel bars for rearing habitat, for salmon fry, smolts, and other species of fish. We all know this is just a gravel grab for the aggregate and nothing about flood control. This should be an election issue in 2013 as it has been pushed by several Liberal Valley MLA, all in the name of money for some people at the expense of losing habitat for our precious fish stocks.

We also got 3 nice cutthroat which I will put up on the FVSS facebook page later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9fwJtTfOLU&feature=share&list=UU_4LtEFjHj-ulBHuoq6COmQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2rNEqrRGt8&feature=share&list=UU_4LtEFjHj-ulBHuoq6COmQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC3MNXjoTqs&feature=share&list=UU_4LtEFjHj-ulBHuoq6COmQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtti0v5PFa8&feature=share&list=UU_4LtEFjHj-ulBHuoq6COmQ

dnibbles

Best line: Video 1, Kenny saying "See this here? This here is that there."

dnibbles

In all seriousness though, good work guys. It's important to show that these bars are utilized year round, not just for pinks to spawn on once every two years. Some of the Chinook stocks using these areas to rear are the same stocks that are so depressed that they are causing fishery closures and restrictions in the spring and summer. The proposed gravel mining is an imminent and acute threat to wild salmon populations in the Fraser.

Dave

• Old Timer

Best line: Video 1, Kenny saying "See this here? This here is that there."
:D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

:D
How about your expertize on this subject?

Dave

• Old Timer

In all seriousness though, good work guys. It's important to show that these bars are utilized year round, not just for pinks to spawn on once every two years. Some of the Chinook stocks using these areas to rear are the same stocks that are so depressed that they are causing fishery closures and restrictions in the spring and summer. The proposed gravel mining is an imminent and acute threat to wild salmon populations in the Fraser.
Nice post dnibbles and good on the field crew; they seemed to know what they were doing, lol!.  I`m guessing between them ( including the photgrapher who it appeared never touched the lead line  ???) about 150 - 200 years experience in this kind of stuff.
Good job.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Nice post dnibbles and good on the field crew; they seemed to know what they were doing, lol!.  I`m guessing between them ( including the photgrapher who it appeared never touched the lead line  ???) about 150 - 200 years experience in this kind of stuff.
Good job.
Documenting was my volunteer job, we will bring you next time. ;D ;D
Again, How about your expertize on this subject?

Waiting for Abby, SS too. ;D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 08:29:01 PM by chris gadsden »

Dave

• Old Timer

How about your expertize on this subject?
Only expertise I could add is Marv was bang on about the Fraser River being the overwintering habitat of many upstream chinook stocks.  I have electroshocked much of the mainstem Fraser from PG to Chilliwack looking for juvenile chinook and yes they are there, lots of them. Find some structure or good sized gravel and you were guaranteed chinooks.
I`m behind you all the way here Chris, you know I`m a fish guy and we all know how valuable this area and it`s gravel reaches are to so many species of fish.

Thing is, gravel is needed and we can`t deny that.  What needs to be decided is where this industry needed gravel will be mined or extracted. 
Where can this be extracted with the least impact, both socially and environmentally.  Wish I could answer that.

absolon

• Old Timer

Documenting was my volunteer job, we will bring you next time. ;D ;D
Again, How about your expertize on this subject?

Waiting for Abby, SS too. ;D

Sorry Chris, my only exposure to the Fraser is through the truck window on the way to and home from the Kamloops plateau so I can't comment specifically on this plan. I can say generally that I think gravel extraction represents habitat destruction and an impediment to the success of wild stocks; the benefits, in my opinion, are not usually worth the costs.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer

Although I have spent many days electroshocking while doing stream inventories, I do not have any specific expertise with this gravel extraction.  I concede that I have not been following this plan like individuals such as yourself; however, I agree with the comments made by Dave, dnibbles and absolon.  Whether it will it will be an election issue......well.....politicians will likely tell people what they want to hear at the time.  I have no doubt Liberal MLAs are busy trying to gather up support.  It is the grass-roots people such as yourself that are the real drivers with this.

norton

Only thing to do is when the machines roll in to remove gravel , is to organize everyone who wants to participate , and the media  and block the equipment .