Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River Holes  (Read 2625 times)

Flycastin

River Holes
« on: July 31, 2004, 01:29:36 AM »

I found a large narrow hole at the end of a tailout on the Skeena..that is purported to be 60 feet deep and is approximately half the rivers width, and about 250-300 feet long.  You can take a ferry across it, and watch the slope upwards to the other side, so its quite visual.

This specfic  area sees a massive influx of all 5 Pacific Salmon migrations from June to September, and there has been a few people mention this hole and we've thought about  dropping a heavy enough weight down there to check out what type of critters are down that deep.

What type of rigging would you suggest for this expedition?
And what are the deepest holes in your Lower Mainland Rivers - Vedder, Fraser, etc.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 01:49:30 AM by splittail »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re:River Holes
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 01:49:18 AM »

Enophrys gigantica

The rare mutated gigantic sculpin of course. We bagged one today, didn't want to spill the secret but....

Sorry... Sockeye season... Not thinking straight... Sorry..... :)

Flycastin

Re:River Holes
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 01:52:11 AM »

I wouldn't doubt that one bit, Rod. After learning about the massive burbot hanging around the mouth of the Kalum Lake, eating whole dead Pinks from the bottom, anything is possible.  :o So far we planned to rig the Aqua-Vu camera with a large cannonball weight and see if we can hit bottom. But we can't figure out how we can anchor the 14 foot that close to the ferry landing to do this. We may have to pay the ferry man to stop half way across and drop it down that way. Its best to actually view the hole this way before sinking hooks down there, cause i hear those mutated sculpin can be pretty nasty on tackle.  :-*
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 01:55:44 AM by splittail »