Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Save the Coquitlam River  (Read 7002 times)

mike

• I'm a llama!
Save the Coquitlam River
« on: June 11, 2004, 01:05:08 AM »

Local indusrty have been destroying the Coquitlam River for decades. The river was just listed the 8th most endagered river in BC by the outdoor recreation council of BC. If something is not done soon to stop these gravel mining companies from their polluting activities the Coquitlam River is surely doomed. It also does not help when these gravel mining companies have the Mayor of Coquitlam and a majority of City Council members in their back pocket.

See how you can help by visiting: www.savecoquitlamriver.com
or e-mail Mike at river_ethics@hotmail.com

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
Re:Save the Coquitlam River
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 09:43:52 AM »

We had a big river clean up there with this site back in April, cleaned all the garbage outta there!!!!!!

Randog

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 10:03:56 AM »

Don't get me going about the Coquitlam river.

Randog

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 10:08:25 AM »

Have to help out at Lil' Randogs school this aft. and then it's back to work on Monday :'(

Randog

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 10:19:58 AM »

Norm, sounds like you are quite knowledgeable about the Coquitlam River. Can you enlighten us?

Randog

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 10:26:38 AM »

Your too funny Norm. LMAO ;D ;D ;D

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2004, 01:55:43 AM »

To the top, just remembered about this and payed a visit. Sent off an email. Encourage others to do so as well.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2004, 07:39:51 AM »

Forget Coquitlam council.  I think it's a matter for provincial and federal environment and DFO.  I'm not hopefull with any of the current bunch :'(  Very sad when I've read stories that it was at one time a HUGE sockeye run before the turn of the century (1900).  The groups that have been working on the issue have done a great job for a long time with some results, but there is a long way to go.  I wish the Kwikwetlem first nation would get behind the issue.  As much as the natives take heat for fishing meathods, the can raise eyebrows when they put efforts behind legitimate environmental issues.  And they should be supported when they do.  It's going to take all of us to get the coquitlam cleaned up.

JP PATCHES

• Awaeyegoyemugye
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2004, 12:21:25 PM »

Great topic! I wish more people were concerned about the effects of company's like Cewe's which not only destroy fish but their habitat too. No one cares about the smolts & spawning grounds, were too busy complaining about flossers.

Floon

• It's all in the reflexes!!
    • Lloydpaskall.com
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2004, 01:03:36 PM »

Helped with the clean up as well. It was my first visit to this water shed. Very pretty piece of water.

Sent an e-mail too. It may not help but it surely can't hurt!!!

Remember to e-mail me Randog...... ;)
Some people think I'm insane. Some other people think I am not right in the head.
Then again some people drive in the fast lane under the speed limit with their blinkers on........
Perhaps these are one and the same people???
You be the judge.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2004, 02:22:20 PM »

Here is my reply:

RE:     Save the Coquitlam River

Thank you for your email outlining your concerns regarding sediments generated by gravel pit operations.  As you may be aware, in October 1999, Council established a Coquitlam River Aggregate Task Force (CRATF) to recommend what could be done, by all levels of government, the aggregate mining industry and other stakeholders to remedy the impacts of aggregate mining and to improve the health of the Coquitlam River.  The task force included representatives from the gravel pit operations, the cities of Coquitlam and Port Coquitlam, Ministry of Energy and Mines, Ministry of Water Land and Air Protection, Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO), BC Hydro and the Coquitlam River Watershed Society.  The CRATF produced an action plan in November 2001 and implementation of this plan is well underway.  Recent initiatives undertaken by Coquitlam include:

·       commissioning a consultant study to determine the feasibility of municipal uses of fines;

·       approaching the Master Municipal Construction Documents (MMCD) committee with recommendations for including the use of gravel fines in concrete specifications;

·       requesting funding from the province for further research studies needed to identify alternative uses for fines;

·       seeking opportunities with other agencies to monitor and control naturally occurring slides in Falacea and Orr Creeks; and

·       installing two sediment monitoring stations in the Coquitlam River – one directly above and one directly below the gravel pit operations.

While progress has been made, efforts to implement the CRATF action plan are continuous and ongoing.

I would like to stress that we recognize the vital importance of the Coquitlam River within our community and the region.  The river provides a multitude of benefits including critical habitat for fish and wildlife; and recreational, cultural and historical significance for local residents and First Nations.  The Coquitlam River Reservoir provides one of the cleanest drinking water sources in the Lower Mainland.  It also generates hydroelectric energy, and provides downstream flood control benefits.  As well, the City of Coquitlam played an active role in the development of the recently completed BC Hydro Coquitlam-Buntzen Water Use Plan that balances fish habitat, power generation, flood protection and other factors in generating suitable operating regimes for the water control facilities.    

I would also like to clarify a couple of other items related to your concerns. It is important to note that gravel pit operators are required, on a biennial basis, to apply to the City of Coquitlam for a Soil Substance Removal Permit.  This permit validates the use of that land for soil removal, and the fee provided by the operator is used to rehabilitate roads used by gravel trucks.  The gravel pit operations are actually regulated at the provincial level through mines permits and plans.  Provincial legislation requires that gravel operators submit and adhere to mine plans that, amongst other items, establish site remediation and watercourse protection measures.  These plans are referred to DFO for review.  In the case of the Coquitlam River, DFO requested that the Ministry of Energy and Mines limit sediment discharges to the river; however, it is recognized that heavy rainfall events may continue to provide releases that are higher than desired.  

With respect to the failure of the Lafarge sediment pond earlier this year, representatives from DFO thoroughly investigated the situation and found there was no evidence that sediments from the pond were released directly into the Coquitlam River as a result of this incident.  However, fine sediments filtering into ditches that drain into the river, continue to be a concern.  DFO continues to monitor the situation and encourage local gravel pit operators to seek practical ways to resolve this complex situation.  For their part, gravel pit operators continue to invest considerable resources in water clarification and sediment settlement, slope stabilization and replanting, research on alternative uses for fines and other initiatives.  

In conclusion, the issues surrounding the operation and regulation of gravel pit operations are complex and involve a number of jurisdictions.  The City of Coquitlam and other members of the CRATF are continuing with concerted efforts to improve the health of the Coquitlam River.    

Yours truly,

Jon Kingsbury

MAYOR

c - Councillor Mae Reid, Chair of the Coquitlam River Aggregate Task Force  

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2004, 02:24:35 PM »

Wow, what a great city, copy paste everyone the same letter. >:(
Sinclair, Suzanne <ssinclair@coquitlam.ca>
Email doesnt even reach the Mayor, gets sent back to me with a copy paste reply like everyone else recieves and gets passed onto Mae Reid <mreid@coquitlam.ca>
The letter I sent was the directions from the one off of that website and I added onto it from my personal views.
On the way up to the Coquitlam River Hatchery for the Coho fin clip 2 weeks ago I noticed on the side of the road a creek flowing straight into the river packed with silt.....disgusting. >:(
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 02:32:53 PM by tHe TrOuT sLaYeR »

freddy2596

• I'm an my friend....
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2004, 04:31:34 PM »

As someone who lives  by this river and has fished it, swam in it, and rafted in it, and hiked beside for 40 years, I have seen it change from what once was a good flowing river to what it is today,nothing more than ditch with no flow.  The Mayor can send you a form letter all he wants about what measures and what groups are activley involved in restoring this once great water shed.it is most unfortunet that people like cewe have alot of politcal power within the city just by the amount of tax dollors they genorate for the city(far be it for the mayor or any of his councilmen to upset a tax payer)  The biggest change I have wittnessed over the years is the water flow......... and untill hydro(another large tax doller contributer) releases more water into this stream/ditch,it will continue to die a very slow and painfull death, the amount of water that is released does not allow the river to flush the sediments and crap(you know shopping carts,tires ,beer cans and the odd crack junkie that happens to take up residence). Perhaps they should reconsider allowing some of the water that is directed through the tunnel into Bunzen lake back into the Coquitlam river (what am I thinking, that would take water away from a HYDRO genorating plant).........Any how enough of the negitve crap............On a positive note.......A great big pat on the back and thank you to all the people that put in time and effort at the hatchery and the clean ups and the letter campains that do keep the river on the front burner and in the forfront of the puplics mind.....

P.S. sorry about the spelling, just my version of short hand..........