Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do with bags full of pike minnows and/or chub?  (Read 17420 times)

scouterjames

• Old Timer
What to do with bags full of pike minnows and/or chub?
« on: September 07, 2013, 08:59:12 PM »

OK, fishing for 45 mins in Glen Valley today.  There was a family(?) there with 3 rods in the water fishing with worms and pulling out pike minnows, dropping them into safeway bags alive.  In the short time I was there, they pulled out over 40 fish that I saw (and I wasn't watching them intently, just counting when I noticed for something to do).

I asked them what they do with them on my way out but got 'no english'. 

So, two questions.

First the lazy question - is there limits on those things - qty &/or size (didn't matter if they were 3", they went into the bags).

Second, are they edible?  Thought they'd be bony and not so yummy for the table....  OK Answered this by searching the site.... doesn't sound too yummy for me, but I guess they were headed to the table!

:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
Re: What to do with bags full of pike minnows and/or chub?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 09:47:02 PM »

I do believe there is a bait(oops) ban first of all? Second the limit is 15 and  have you ever T&T market?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 10:25:09 PM by Rantalot »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 09:52:42 PM »

I believe the bait ban applies to fishing for salmon.

zap brannigan

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 09:55:20 PM »

'no english' is a pretty common way of saying no license or care for regs around here.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 10:26:12 PM »

Um I do believe you can catch coho using dew worms? So I would think bait ban means no bait?

chronic_topdawg

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 10:51:47 PM »

meh ;)
Shiny Fish, need more fishing for em.
But is it true that they are more of a burden on salmon than their value to the ecosystem?
Ive always heard throw em on the bank, but personal I throw what I need in a bucket for dino's

Chuck

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 11:39:42 PM »

If I see anyone throw anything "on the bank", or in a bush, they'll get some abuse off me.  Release it or eat it.  If you're going to kill anything then I firmly believe you need to not waste a single part of it.

but personal I throw what I need in a bucket for dino's

Not entirely sure what Dino's is, but sounds like they're not dying for the hell of it  ;)

Fishawn

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 11:52:42 PM »

'no english' is a pretty common way of saying no license or care for regs around here.
Last I checked, "no English" means that this person doesn't speak the language. So if you're fishing in Mexico and some locals come up to talk to you and you say "no Spanish," I take it you're automatically a poacher then?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 11:53:03 PM »

- The current bait ban only applies to salmon fishing.

- Plenty of non-English speakers in this country have their fishing licenses and know the regulations, so don't generalize please, it's offensive. There are active non-Englsh speaking online discussion forums where regulations are emphasized like this one.

- In freshwater, there are no daily quotas for species that are not listed (carp, northern pikeminnow, peamouth chub, etc). In tidal waters, if a species is not listed, then its daily quota is 20.

- Northern pikeminnow, peamouth chub and other similar minnows species are edible and can be very good table fare when prepared correctly. Their white flesh is delicate but are full of fine bones. They are often made into fish cakes, soup or simply pan fried.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 11:54:48 PM »

But is it true that they are more of a burden on salmon than their value to the ecosystem?

Human are the biggest burden on salmon. Pikeminnow and chub do just fine in their native ecosystem.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 11:57:01 PM »

Um I do believe you can catch coho using dew worms? So I would think bait ban means no bait?

So what are all the Sturgeon fishermen using.....lures ??  ;D ::)

I think Rodney was talking to the DFO about this to see if it could be rectified because the way they have it written as of now the bait ban would apply to ALL finfish so in reality they were breaking the law using bait in the Fraser even t hough they were targeting PM and chub.

Saw a guy out today using salmon roe and asked what he was fishing for...."salmon salmon" is what he said, I couldn't help but laugh and then tried to tell him the bait ban was in effect, he looked me straight in the eye and said, that okay that okay i catch one already, hope more 3.  :o

It never ends around here I tell ya. :P

edit to add, sorry Rodney, I was typing while you posted

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 01:15:48 AM »

Why eat NPM when they could go to some of the bass infested lakes and kill way more meat for the table and help get rid of the invasive species at the same time
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 01:16:04 AM »

Asians eat anything that slithers, slides, hops, flops walks, runs, flies or swims. Even if it lies there inert it gets eaten if it is remotely edible. As Rodney says, just because a coarse fish is not what we normally associate with edible fish, they can still be processed many ways and eaten. Look no further than the Asian market for bear and tiger gall bladder, rhino horn and shark fins. There is no concern at all for environmental damage or extinction of animal species.

KingOfEastVan

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 01:48:15 AM »

Asians eat anything that slithers, slides, hops, flops walks, runs, flies or swims.

So do I, and I am a white guy. My wife, who is asian, does not. Imagine that. Any time anyone here wants to learn more about this outrageous canundrum, PM me and I will be glad to meet you somewhere and personally teach you a lesson on the topic of racial harmony and coarse fish cooking.

I'd confront a racist with a lot more zeal than I would someone who was limiting out on pikeminnows. A LOT more.
I am the King of East Van, and I approve of this message.

mojo7

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 07:18:06 AM »

So do I, and I am a white guy. My wife, who is asian, does not. Imagine that. Any time anyone here wants to learn more about this outrageous canundrum, PM me and I will be glad to meet you somewhere and personally teach you a lesson on the topic of racial harmony and coarse fish cooking.

I'd confront a racist with a lot more zeal than I would someone who was limiting out on pikeminnows. A LOT more.

Although I don't know Mr Forbes personally I have lurked the online fishing forums for a long time and have seen many of his fishing and "other" pursuits posts and can vouch that he is definitely NOT a racist.

Actually I have seen many accuse him of being the 180' opposite of racist, with an abundant (some say overly abundant) appreciation of the Asian race. He is a god amongst men and fisherMEN. ;) You go girl!

He used to, I don't know if he still does, spend half the year in Thailand and half in BC. He is speaking from many years of experience living in East Asia so I'm sure he is just stating a fact he sees every day.

Environmental destruction is a color/race blind world issue, it affects us all and proper criticism must NOT be usurped by racial sensitivities. Every race/culture is guilty and every race/culture must be taken to task for it's share of violations. I have seen Ian make plenty of criticism for the folks here at home about our own sins so he is only singling out a particular race here because it is pertinent to this thread.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 07:23:49 AM by mojo7 »