Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Assault by jetboat operators on a fisherman on the Vedder  (Read 19834 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Assault by jetboat operators on a fisherman on the Vedder
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2022, 02:17:24 PM »

What was said when the operator went to shore? Did Rufus say "yeah let's go"? If so no charges can happen, it was a consensual fight. Rufus did provoke the fight by throwing rocks though. ...

There has been more than a few "jail house" lawyers chiming in on a variety of forums. How can a 3 on 1 beating be a consensual fight? Pretty shaky reasoning from any standpoint.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2022, 03:28:04 PM »

Yeah on the surface this looks like 3 white dues one with beer in hands, beat up a special needs marginalized member of a minority community causing major damage to nose and  face.

Then you can also get it if the operator was negligent for being there n the river in the first place. Also for driving a commercial vessel in a manner that put passengers at risk.

But somehow throwing a rock and missing is somehow equal to all I listed above.

I seen an actual lawyer post “ disproportionate response”

« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 03:30:49 PM by wildmanyeah »

ern

« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2022, 03:42:58 PM »

In my subjective opinion, if the boater is truly hooked on adventure, he would most certainly have foreknowledge of fishers in the water chucking their gear into the river. The 1st pass that I saw (can't find it now) was IMO reckless. The speed appeared to be beyond what was necessary to maintain plane. To me, it was on par with a jacked pickup coal-rolling a bunch of cyclists.

Certainly reputations play a role as well. History of intimidation and confrontation are definitely factors. From what I've read, Rufus is no angel however I think if someone actually wanted to hit the boat with a stone, it would probably not be too difficult. You'd probably have an added advantage if you were a fisherman used to casting at specific targets.

I think it was also reckless driving during the 2nd pass. When they pulled over for the 'beach-n-beat' you can clearly see a passenger falling to the floor.

I don't think applying 'conflict resolution' to the boater fits the narrative here. 'instigation' and/or 'escalation' may better describe the interactions that I saw on the videos.

Here's something from BC's Motor Vehicle Act that doesn't apply literally, but maybe worth considering in principle:

Careless driving prohibited144   
    (1)A person must not drive a motor vehicle on a highway
          (a)without due care and attention,
          (b)without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway, or
          (c)at a speed that is excessive relative to the road, traffic, visibility or weather conditions.

I'm no lawyer, jailhouse or otherwise, but I seem to recall that if something can't be decided by the letter of the law -or if extenuating circumstances challenge- they use 'the reasonable person test' to decide.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=the+reasonable+person+test&t=vivaldi&ia=web

Thanks for your efforts Rod :)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2022, 04:26:40 PM »

We have a very incomplete story on the alleged thrown rock so it's best to stop speculating about it and see if anyone gets charged and if all or some parties end up in court.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bj23

« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2022, 08:34:19 PM »

Regarding the on line flaming and efforts to destroy one person's business; there were 3 people involved in the assault. No one mentioned but the one big guy wearing a dark t-shirt & holding a beverage can in one hand (possibly a beer) kicked Rufus in the ribs while he was on the ground. Rufus has said he threw or tossed a rock out into the water. He may have some impaired judgement but the people in the boat may have seen his intentions differently.

I agree that it is time to let the system sort this out. Perhaps the parties involved will be able to make contact. I can't see any of the 3 assailants are feeling too good about their actions in the cool light of 7 days later.

The three people involved in the assault were of one mind, that is - 'no mind'. I can't imagine what they would have taken to become of the same mind. Rufus may have had some 'impaired' judgement, but the three goofs were also impaired. There would have been four goofs, if #4 could get out of the boat. The Rufus rock threat was over - which leaves a flat out assault. If it takes seven days for the three assailants to clean up and feel bad about the incident, they should stay away from the crap they were on - they can't handle it. See you in court, as they say.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 08:55:50 PM by bj23 »

roeman

« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2022, 09:53:03 PM »

Thanks FFM. :)

We are getting closer to that 10km/hr speed restriction on the river this week. The city is just trying to work out all the logistics on enforcing it with the RCMP.

Waste of time.  Its great that something might be done, but do it right.  No power boats above the highway bridge is the only way to fix things. 
Speed limit signs on highways do such a great job.  Why would it be any different on a river. 
Are you fishin or catchin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2022, 09:54:18 PM »

My meaning was that Rufus may not have fully comprehended his rock toss could result in such a reaction.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2022, 10:23:50 PM »

It is very interesting to see someone think throwing rocks is worse than punching fist on the face. To be honest, they deserve hard punches on their faces to clear their mind. If their first reaction after the beaten are throwing a rock back to a boat,  well, I take back what I say.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2022, 02:18:41 PM »

A 10km/hr restriction is a good start. With time and a little pressure hopefully the powers that be will implement the common sense rule that no power boats be used above hwy 1 bridge. The irresponsible have no-one to blame but themselves.
Riverman

ratfish

« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2022, 04:22:08 PM »

I still do not understand why their is not a powerboat restriction on the Vedder. I grew up by the Kitimat river 25 years ago. Their was always a powerboat restriction above the tidal boundary in that river which is aprox the same size of the Vedder. The only power boats that are allowed on the kitimat river are for fisheries management.   

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2022, 07:24:38 PM »

Why is it taking so long for charges to be laid?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2022, 08:50:45 PM »

I still do not understand why their is not a powerboat restriction on the Vedder. I grew up by the Kitimat river 25 years ago. Their was always a powerboat restriction above the tidal boundary in that river which is aprox the same size of the Vedder. The only power boats that are allowed on the kitimat river are for fisheries management.   

back in the day, the launch point to transit to the Vedder( Sumas) confluence  with then Fraser was right under the hwy 1 bridge. It was a bit of a trick to run upstream of that with an outboard. I guess so before jetboats were  common there wasn't much need
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 10:46:31 PM by RalphH »

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2022, 02:39:57 PM »

So I was reading the Chilliwack Progress newspaper and they say they know the identities of all four men aboard the jet boat involved in the assault of Rufus Mcintrye. Why the heck have there been no charges laid yet? What is the RCMP waiting for?

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #118 on: August 06, 2022, 05:11:42 PM »

Well, this is a criminal investigation so this will take some time. The police really need to be sure to get their ducks in a row, and their evidence and collection of evidence must be above board or it could be thrown out in court or rejected by crown counsel. Although the video alone looks damning, there's many "T's" to cross and "I's" to dot to ensure it will hold up in a criminal court. Plus, witnesses need to be identified and credible. I won't be surprised if charges don't come for some time...

yoda

« Reply #119 on: August 07, 2022, 03:45:16 PM »

i was out with the wife walking the dike by the trainbridge yesterday. no fishermen at assault site. only three kids swimming in the water who had to quickly get out because of jet boat zipping through narrow channel. when he got around the shallow side of bridge heading up river he blew past a shocked tuber coming down. I have this on video, not sure how to send it. I was shocked at this behaviour from person who should know that people are in the water cooling off. too small a river and congested for behaviour like this.