Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What do u think?  (Read 6720 times)

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
What do u think?
« on: August 24, 2004, 09:09:03 PM »

Ok now that there has been lots of rain do u think they might open it for socks for a week or two!

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re:What do u think?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 09:20:46 PM »

Wishful thinking, but it would be nice...and you know I don't think unreasonable.
What the hay, OPEN THE DAMN RIVER ALREADY!!!

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 09:39:19 PM »

I'm with minnie. Open The Damn. And I'll add, Be Damn Quick About-It! Sure would be nice to have just one more weekend of sockeye fishing and if this rain continues I would think the water temps will cool and we already know there's lots of socks in, so..... Hey DFO, You listening. Hmmm., did'nt think so.  :D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 09:41:22 PM »

I do not think so. As it is way too many people bb out there now in the hope of catching a spring.  :-[ The sockeye have been hit hard this year by a lot of netting activity and the warm temps have not helped either. Stopped at the mouth of the Coquihalla on the way back from the Thompson today and the gravel bar was littered with dozens of sockeye most likely have died from the stress of the warm water, catch and release from the rec angler and of course netting.

These fish should not be fished now by anyone.

Sports anglers have to learn to fish selectively or closure will be imposed.

If anglers are not careful short leaders and fishing with a fixed weight will be put into effect, it is just a matter of time and the regulations will change, mark my word.

redlad

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 09:43:38 PM »

If you look at the numbers in the test nets - there are hardly any new fish coming in to the river.  Seems highly unlikely and likely unwise.

Bantam_50

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 10:00:54 PM »

If you look at the numbers in the test nets - there are hardly any new fish coming in to the river.  Seems highly unlikely and likely unwise.

Exactly redlad....I've been watching those #'s and from what I saw caught (sockeye) on the Fraser last weekend by BB'ers...I'm going to say that the Summers are over with and DFO has severly underestimated either the run size or harvest. Only fridays Fraser sockeye update will shed more light on my assumption....but I really don't see 1.2 summers still to come. And the Late summers were only forecast to be about 318k socks.

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 10:12:45 PM »

I don't think they'll open it up again. As others have mentioned the numbers just arn't there like they usually are in others years to support the fishery. As much as i'm sure many of us would love to catch some sock's again this year, it's just not going to happen, and that's good news for the dwindling stocks.

bigguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 11:08:09 PM »

How many sockeye do you think are actually caught by rec. fishermen at places like Scale and Peg Leg etc.?
Interested too know.

Bantam_50

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 11:31:02 PM »

How many sockeye do you think are actually caught by rec. fishermen at places like Scale and Peg Leg etc.?
Interested too know.

Be an interesting question to ask...but my guess is probably between the scale and Pegleg...I'd say about 40-50%.

bigguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 11:37:49 PM »

You mean that 40-50% of all sockeye caught by rec fihermen are in that area or that % of total???

bigguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 11:54:32 PM »

But how many do you think in numbers are actually caught.

Z71

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2004, 12:53:04 AM »

the sockeye "fishery" for sport-caught salmon might (edited) re-open after this weekend for two more weeks of flossing due to the falling temperatures in the Fraser and heavy rains expected in the upper watershed, producing a cooling trend throughout the entire lower river system...don't sweat it, you'll still get another chance...

<edited - Please don't post any information that maybe mistakened by our readers unless an official statement from FOC has been announced.>
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 12:59:49 AM by Rodney »

Buckeye

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2004, 07:10:30 AM »

But how many do you think in numbers are actually caught.

A report has been released.
This covers the Lower Fraser below Hope.
For the period July 23 - August 18 the total recreational harvest was:
50,312 sockeye
4,025 chinook adults
243 chinook jacks
Total effort was 325,639 angler hours.
If you're interested send me your email address and I will send you the report. :)

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2004, 07:38:50 AM »

yep thats interesting wheres the report on how many tousands of sockeye the natives have sold and how many cases of beer they have bought with the illegal money.  ??? ???/but i agree with chris it should stay closed this year/besides springs and coho will follow in the vedder so time to move upstream

gman

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2004, 07:51:09 AM »

Buckeye, thanks for providing the facts on the recreational harvest.

The harvest statistics show that the recreational sockeye catch is peanuts compared to the nets that take many hundreds of thousands or the total run size of a few million.

While I agree with some of the arguments against flossing the numbers show the recreational fishery has a relatively small impact.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 07:58:22 AM by gman »