Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The P.N.E  (Read 11506 times)

BirdNester

The P.N.E
« on: August 24, 2004, 01:05:22 AM »

Every year we go to the P.N.E. and every year I come home wondering where my money went. So this year I decided to write down every penny I spent. Something happened last year at the haunted house that made the P.N.E. owe me entrance and ride passes for my entire family this year. So without paying $27 for us to get in and about $90 bucks for ride passes, I still managed to spend $93.50. Here is my breakdown.
Parking, 2 cars - $24
Old Western Shooting game - $2
The Hellevator - $5 (not included in ride pass, what a joke)
Those Lil' Donuts - $5
Smoothy x 3 - $7
Dinner at P.N.E. WhiteSpot - $23.25
Bracelet for wifey - $5
Ball from candy machine for son - $.25
2 x Beef of a bun (latenite snack) - $12
Wife and Son rockclimbing wall - $5

Oh and I guess I let my son play a few games that I forgot to write down but that was seperate.
The P.N.E. kinda sucked tonite... supposed to close at midnite but it was more like 11:50 when everything wasn't closing but CLOSED... like locked up and gone home. Most rides were shut around 11.
I had one moment of karma... The wife was about to leave a piece of garbage on the ground after dealing with our daughter, (not sure she realised) I ALMOST walked away from it, instead I walked up, grabbed it, walked to a garbage can and dropped it in... the second I turned my head to walk away from the garbage can, BAAM, a fiver layin' on the ground in front of me. I believe in karma, but I didn't think it happened that quickly. Anyways... that was my day/night. Oh yeah, the SuperDogs sucked and the demolition was just little races with beaters.

RobertO

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re:The P.N.E
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 01:10:38 AM »

Hey we were there today! :D

Here's our cost:

$12 Parking
$20 Admission
$6.75 Half BBQ chicken
$5 Two bags of donuts
$11 A belt for Nina

I thought this year's show is somewhat disappointing, it might just be early. It's still good, don't get me wrong, but just not as good as last year's. The Super Dog show, which we see every year, was somewhat mellow. The animals in the barn are still the best. Of course the showcased veggies make an amateur veggie grower like me very jealous as usual. ;D We saw the star search talent show thing for a bit around 5pm and I thought the contestants were amazing. I tried to advertise the website behind Tamara from CTV when she was doing the weather report but the camera missed me by 2 seconds. ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 01:16:03 AM »

Haven't been to the PNE in ages. Thanks BN and Rodney for reminding me why.

BirdNester

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 01:17:09 AM »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that we brown-bagged lunch and brought lots of drinks. Ahh strollers are handy. But if we didn't do that, that bill would have been a bit higher.
RobertO

Jimmy

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 08:20:11 AM »

we went to the horse races on Sunday with my wife,s work. I couldn't believe the people trying to sell a spot in the front yard for parking.

I just about ran over people running into the middle of the road with a parking sign.  We were given parking at the school up the road so we didn't have to worry about parking.

This was my first time at the races and it was quite fun. We didn't win much but we broke even at $20 for the day. My wuife was sick after eating a lunch provided by the race way so we had to leave at the 6th race of the day.

PNE looks like it is up and roaring even eith the rain! We will not be attending as we have choosen to go to the cloverdale roado for the last 3 year instead. This way we get it out of our system by the end of May.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 08:29:22 AM »

the pne has lost some of its glory during the past few years. i worked there for 25yrs retiring in 1994.since then i have been 2 times and was dissapointed in the evnts and most of the shows. and the prices are getting outof   this world. its going towards a family can not afford to go out anymore. the same as going to the carnival now. its getting expensive too.i remember when it was 25 cents a ride and games were cheap you see i was a travelling carnie with west coast amusements for 25 yrs. iworked the rides/zipper/scrambler/tiltawhirl/anf merry-go-round. now i enjoy the finer things like family time and fishing with friends.

BirdNester

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 11:15:16 AM »

See anything to do with fishing there?

Yeah, you get that fishing rod and pick up the ducks that are moving by, does DFO have any problems with this? I only retained 2 ducks. One had blue on its belly, the other green.
RobertO

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 11:49:18 AM »

I think it's catch and release only for ducks

BirdNester

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 11:50:14 AM »

I think it's catch and release only for ducks

Well that's what they should on the rivers... if no fish, at least you get a nice teddy bear to take home to the kids.
RobertO

FisherWife

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 02:28:23 PM »

Might go with friends in a couple of weeks. Went last year with a stroller and it was so busy I felt like monster-trucking through the crowd with the stroller. But...I always try to go once a year.

Hopefully I can find parking in the main area. If not, I'll have to try to understand the ol' chinese men and ladies waving their little cardboard signs on the corners.  ;)  "Twenny dollah! Twenny dollah!" Actually, we were shocked last year at how much these damn people charged!

PS: I'm chinese, so I'm not beign racist.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 02:29:31 PM by FisherWife »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 02:48:35 PM »

People pay the $20.00 for the convenience. Like a lot of anglers they are too lazy to walk a short distance.

BirdNester

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2004, 03:10:40 PM »

Might go with friends in a couple of weeks. Went last year with a stroller and it was so busy I felt like monster-trucking through the crowd with the stroller. But...I always try to go once a year.

Hopefully I can find parking in the main area. If not, I'll have to try to understand the ol' chinese men and ladies waving their little cardboard signs on the corners.  ;)  "Twenny dollah! Twenny dollah!" Actually, we were shocked last year at how much these damn people charged!

PS: I'm chinese, so I'm not beign racist.

Funny you mention these people. Look what I had strangers doing.

I was also trying to get people to pay for parking on the PNE grounds..
"8 DOLLAR PARKING ALL DAY, NICE AND CLOSE TO THE GROUNDS PEOPLE!"
Kept giving the prize home guy crap for parking his car without paying next to his booth. (the prize car that is) What a fun day.
RobertO
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 03:27:51 PM by BirdNester »

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2004, 03:18:04 PM »

You guys are nuts paying for those little donuts, you can easily cast a weight with a pile of treble hooks attached to it right into the little trough where they drop out of, when theyre soft they just impale themselves, no need to set the hook!  I've perfected my cast to the point that I no longer need to pay admission to get at them!  

BirdNester

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2004, 03:29:00 PM »

People pay the $20.00 for the convenience. Like a lot of anglers they are too lazy to walk a short distance.

I'm not lazy but parked as close as possible. Our group had 22 people in it, at least half of which was small children.
RobertO

otto

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2004, 03:51:20 PM »

Hey we were there today! :D

Here's our cost:

$12 Parking
$20 Admission
$6.75 Half BBQ chicken
$5 Two bags of donuts
$11 A belt for Nina

I thought this year's show is somewhat disappointing, it might just be early. It's still good, don't get me wrong, but just not as good as last year's. The Super Dog show, which we see every year, was somewhat mellow. The animals in the barn are still the best. Of course the showcased veggies make an amateur veggie grower like me very jealous as usual. ;D We saw the star search talent show thing for a bit around 5pm and I thought the contestants were amazing. I tried to advertise the website behind Tamara from CTV when she was doing the weather report but the camera missed me by 2 seconds. ;D

yummmmm Tamara Taggart..... ;D ;D ;D ;D